Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Having come across a Hornby 4 wheel passenger brake in LNWR livery at a price I couldn't resist I thoight I would at least try to disguise its ancestry a little and give it a bit more LNWR flavour.  It's still generic but I've reduced the amount of glass in the Guard's end to two smaller windows, added two roof skylights and an additional step under the guard's doors. Viewed optimistically through a murky lens it perhaps bears a passing resemblance to an early North Western passenger brake, of which, photos seem to be few

in any case.

DSCF9264.JPG.57b23badea3a43f01f937886791a1faf.JPG

DSCF9268.JPG.4da6b74b47d8f99586cc23d44206e67e.JPG

Here it is in a short train hauled by Coal Tank number 136.

DSCF9265.JPG

Thanks for looking

Tony

Edited by brumtb
missing words
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the improvements you have made, I have been trying to work out what didn't seem quite right with this representation of an LNWR Full Brake. Then the pfennig  dropped.

AFAIK, the LNWR didn't build four or six wheel full brakes with the doors and duckets at the end of the carriage. They also, on the six wheelers had luggage and guards doors, breaking up the run of plain panels. The attaches shows a six wheel Full Brake with those typical features. End brake/luggage compartment didn't appear until bogie stock was introduced and even then, centre brake compartments were common.

Sixwheelset.jpg.bd962a578a0f8749ca49c7c7e1f5c309.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Despite the improvements you have made, I have been trying to work out what didn't seem quite right with this representation of an LNWR Full Brake. Then the pfennig  dropped.

AFAIK, the LNWR didn't build four or six wheel full brakes with the doors and duckets at the end of the carriage. They also, on the six wheelers had luggage and guards doors, breaking up the run of plain panels. The attaches shows a six wheel Full Brake with those typical features. End brake/luggage compartment didn't appear until bogie stock was introduced and even then, centre brake compartments were common.

Sixwheelset.jpg.bd962a578a0f8749ca49c7c7e1f5c309.jpg

Yes, I fully agree.  The nearest four wheeler I've seen had the ducket towards one end but separated by the guards door such as: 

Coventry Station: View of Coventry's third station built in 1873 with a LNWR 2-2-2 Bloomer standing at the up platform and a LNWR 0-6-0 DX goods passing through the station (warwickshirerailways.com)  

imgbrakevan-500x500.jpg.6e4de13ef85f23a6a6237868d7ad78cc.jpg

The Hornby model does have luggage doors within the run of panels and perhaps I need to add the additional step below those doors as well,  I accept this is all rather tenuous and just hopefully gives the already generic model a little nudge in the direction of the LNWR which is the most I can hope for.

Thanks very much, though, for your comments and interest.

Tony

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wishing all who have visited and commented on my Birmingham meanderings a very Happy Christmas and a peaceful, healthy and productive New Year.

As a solo modeller I very much appreciate the cameraderie and expertise freely given on RMweb.

Tony

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
On 24/12/2023 at 09:03, brumtb said:

Wishing all who have visited and commented on my Birmingham meanderings a very Happy Christmas and a peaceful, healthy and productive New Year.

As a solo modeller I very much appreciate the cameraderie and expertise freely given on RMweb.

Tony

Happy Christmas Tony, and have a good healthy New Year.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Happy Christmas Tony, and have a good healthy New Year.

Thanks Chris, I'm pleased to say healthwise things are looking more positive. Looking forward to 2024!

With best wishes to you and yours

Tony

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Modelling has been very slow of late with other responsibilities taking precedence as well as general lethargy.  However, the arrival of the Dapol Mainline and City coaches was very welcome (as was the Kernow Steam Railmotor).

Here is Great Western 2-6-2T 3916 with a short rake of the new coaches heading out to Leamington Spa. The coaches are on loan to the Birmingham Area to assess their suitability for Birmingham suburban use!!!

They are as out of the box at present other than the substitution of Hunt magnetic couplers for the rigid bars supplied by Dapol.  I really must tone down those pristine roofs, any suggestions for a "new but in service" finish?

DSCF0045.JPG.53ead7ebc317adf7ffbf96dde75e2e17.JPG

Thanks for looking

Tony

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

That looks very nice Tony. 

How about a light grey for new / service look? Or of course some gentle application of weathering powder, which will have the benefit of not being completely even over the roof.

Did you get a set of 6 or just 3?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brumtb said:

Modelling has been very slow of late with other responsibilities taking precedence as well as general lethargy.  However, the arrival of the Dapol Mainline and City coaches was very welcome (as was the Kernow Steam Railmotor).

Here is Great Western 2-6-2T 3916 with a short rake of the new coaches heading out to Leamington Spa. The coaches are on loan to the Birmingham Area to assess their suitability for Birmingham suburban use!!!

They are as out of the box at present other than the substitution of Hunt magnetic couplers for the rigid bars supplied by Dapol.  I really must tone down those pristine roofs, any suggestions for a "new but in service" finish?

DSCF0045.JPG.53ead7ebc317adf7ffbf96dde75e2e17.JPG

Thanks for looking

Tony

Tony,

Very nice.

In your era, is the roof paint lead?  If it is then it will react with the smoke and darken it uniformly.  If it is not, then it will just get dirty with smoke.  I am not sure how long the colour change would take, if the paint is lead.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What a sight, Tony.

I looked at this and thought: Suburban Birmingham, early 1920s. The close-coupled coaches look the part even though they weren't, and the loco is a strong hint at the setting. Wonderful.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

That looks very nice Tony. 

How about a light grey for new / service look? Or of course some gentle application of weathering powder, which will have the benefit of not being completely even over the roof.

Did you get a set of 6 or just 3?

Thanks Neal

It's just 3, I think 6 would swamp the layout.

I'm thinking of a pale grey, even perhaps off white to take away the starkness of the bright white and then some weathering powder lightly applied to show the beginnings of the smoke reaction. I'm pretty sure the roof paint was still lead but as @ChrisN has commented, not sure how quickly the roof colour would change. I understand the coaches were still fresh out of Swindon in 1922, their building being delayed by the Great War.

Tony 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

What a sight, Tony.

I looked at this and thought: Suburban Birmingham, early 1920s. The close-coupled coaches look the part even though they weren't, and the loco is a strong hint at the setting. Wonderful.

Thanks Mikkel, that's very much appreciated.  

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, brumtb said:

Thanks Neal

It's just 3, I think 6 would swamp the layout.

I'm thinking of a pale grey, even perhaps off white to take away the starkness of the bright white and then some weathering powder lightly applied to show the beginnings of the smoke reaction. I'm pretty sure the roof paint was still lead but as @ChrisN has commented, not sure how quickly the roof colour would change. I understand the coaches were still fresh out of Swindon in 1922, their building being delayed by the Great War.

Tony 

That sounds about right Tony.

I read a comment I think in the Dapol thread that the carriages are heavy. Do any of your kit-built locos struggle with the 3 of them?

I am hoping for a set to make 6 carriages and hope that my new kits can cope! I don't really want to put a 61xx on the front.

Thanks, Neal.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

That sounds about right Tony.

I read a comment I think in the Dapol thread that the carriages are heavy. Do any of your kit-built locos struggle with the 3 of them?

I am hoping for a set to make 6 carriages and hope that my new kits can cope! I don't really want to put a 61xx on the front.

Thanks, Neal.

Hi Neal

The carriages are reasuringly heavy but very free running.  My 39xx is a scratch built body on a a Bachmann chassis and it has no trouble at all.  I've not tried any other locos yet but don't anticipate any haulage issues, they are quality products.  A six carriage set would be just right with the County Tank I would think.  I wouldn't recommend using the Dapol rigid couplers, though I had enough problems putting the 3 on the track.  

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brumtb said:

Hi Neal

The carriages are reasuringly heavy but very free running.  My 39xx is a scratch built body on a a Bachmann chassis and it has no trouble at all.  I've not tried any other locos yet but don't anticipate any haulage issues, they are quality products.  A six carriage set would be just right with the County Tank I would think.  I wouldn't recommend using the Dapol rigid couplers, though I had enough problems putting the 3 on the track.  

Tony

Thanks for that Tony.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/03/2024 at 09:11, brumtb said:

. I understand the coaches were still fresh out of Swindon in 1922, their building being delayed by the Great War.

Rereading Michael Harris's Great Western Coaches I see that yes, the carriages were initially ordered in 1913 and owing to the war the order was cancelled in 1915 but the first sets were completed in February 1920 and the remainder in June 1921.  So possibly a little more scope for weathering!

Tony

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Last week Shirley and I spent a very enjoyable (if rather wet) holiday in Cumbria, split between railways, wildlife and Hadrian's Wall.IMG_0182.JPG.0200a84433dde9423c33c7d2e27d68f9.JPG 

As a follower of @Citadel and @CKPR I was delighted to see Carlise Citadel in reality and surprised to see the Maryport and Carlise Coal and Goods Depot still identified as such.

IMG_0181.JPG.aecc1ed4fd17a33a8855fa1b2c787714.JPG

A trip on the S&C really brought the line to life. IMG_0174.JPG.750310ee024f5c548e0098fcc19561ca.JPG

Armathwaite Signal Box and the delightful platform canopy at Skipton.

IMG_0163.JPG.2c4510947c7ebe2c39b005eb61171ed2.JPG

Can't wait to return.

Tony

• Like 13

The M&CR goods & coal depot adjacent to Carlisle Citadel was officially called Crown St. Goods, but was also known as Bog Goods ! This area of Carlisle was once known as Bogfield and there's a Bog Junction on the goods lines just to the south of Citadel.

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/04/2024 at 10:10, brumtb said:

Last week Shirley and I spent a very enjoyable (if rather wet) holiday in Cumbria, split between railways, wildlife and Hadrian's Wall.

Impeccable taste!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Probably still the best book on the railways of Carlisle is 'Carlisle - Rail Centres No.6' by Peter W Robinson published in 1986 (There's a more recent and excellent book, "Rails across Carlisle" by Steven & Jeff Davidson, focussing on the yards, depots and goods lines of Carlisle but it's pretty rare and I've only ever seen the copy I bought from C&M Models).

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1