BR 13t sand tippler brake question

Max Legroom

I’ve got a Bachmann model of B746576 in grey unfitted that is about to get the weathering treatment. I’ve also got a copy of the June 1981 Railway Modeller that contains an article by Keith Allen on sand tipplers and includes a picture of this very wagon with screw couplings and vac pipes but no brake cylinder. The article mentions that the wagon is vacuum braked but I would have thought that the lack of a cylinder would point to through piping. Have I got this right?

Max

3 minutes ago, Max Legroom said:

I’ve got a Bachmann model of B746576 in grey unfitted that is about to get the weathering treatment. I’ve also got a copy of the June 1981 Railway Modeller that contains an article by Keith Allen on sand tipplers and includes a picture of this very wagon with screw couplings and vac pipes but no brake cylinder. The article mentions that the wagon is vacuum braked but I would have thought that the lack of a cylinder would point to through piping. Have I got this right?

Max

17 minutes ago, Max Legroom said:

Max

Have you got photos of both sides, as the brake cylinder could be on the platform on the far side? can you see a brake pipe running round the hopper above the underframe? Is the vehicle just piped?  A piped vehicle would (normally) have the pipe ends, before the brake hose painted white.

Just had a quick look through the Diagram and Lot Numbers in Don Rowland's ''British Railways Wagons' . The wagon with the number you quote was built to Diagram 1/072, lot number 2267, built at Swindon in 1951. A note says it was built with Morton brakes and not fitted.

It could be that the painted number on the wagon in the photo is wrong. I spent a summer vacation checking the numbers of vehicles on the ground against those that BR advised they had sent us, There were invariably one or two where the painted number was at variance with that on the cast builder's plate: the strangest was a 16t Mineral which carried a painted number which suggested it was an LMS-built item of Passenger Stock which had been taken over by the Civil Engineers.

There was one Lot of Sand Tipplers built with Vac brakes: 2986 to Diagram 1/073, built Derby 1957. Numbers were between B746750 and B746849. These would have had 8-shoe BR vacuum brake gear.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, Yardman said:

Have you got photos of both sides, as the brake cylinder could be on the platform on the far side? can you see a brake pipe running round the hopper above the underframe? Is the vehicle just piped?  A piped vehicle would (normally) have the pipe ends, before the brake hose painted white.

Also, check how many brake shoes the wagon in the photo has? If it has two per wheel, it was built fitted.

According to the article it is from lot 2267 and was later fitted. Photo shows one shoe per wheel and it definitely has vac pipes and screw couplings. It might have a cylinder on the other side but photo is inconclusive. Caption reads ‘B746576, Lot 2267, in unfitted livery, has vacuum pipes but no cylinder.’