8 to 6 pin decoders

gordon s

Been pottering around this morning fitting decoders to Bachmann DMU's. Started with the Derby lightweight and it all seemed simple just plugging in an 8 pin decoder and away it went. I was a little surprised to find it needs two decoders, an eight pin in the power car and six pin in the trailer.

It's raised a few questions. I've searched the web and found you only need the black white and yellow wires as per this drawing. Is this correct?

Edit: I'm guessing the red needs to be connected also to programme the decoder......;)

1330470959_Screenshot2020-04-04at14_07_57.png.4df11d7aa28febd52bf2869f192c8ee9.png

I've got some old decoders kicking around and wondered if I can just solder the wires to the 6 pin plug in the trailer car?

If that is OK, is there any reason not to wire from one decoder and keep the set permanently coupled?

Is there a cheap 6 pin pluggable decoder that will do the job? Most of what I've found so far are £20 plus.

Thanks in advance....

Edited by gordon s

Ermmmm,

The RED, and black, needs connected, otherwise there's no power to the decoder.

I think LAIS 6 pin decoders may be cheaper, I wouldn't ever use one for motor control though.

The Zimo 20 quid decoders are the gold standard for N Gauge motor control, so 'cheap' for most applications, but not when used just for lights.

As long as you get the wiring right then any old decoder should be OK, and a lot of people do run wires between the driving car and the trailer to get the lights working.

Regards,

John P

Thanks John, much appreciated. In the end it was all academic as the space to fit a decoder in the lavatory compartment is quite tight with the 6 pin socket and all my decoders were too large to fit anywhere out of sight in the trailer car.

I’ve ordered some DCC Concepts Zen Decoders to plug in the 6 pin socket, but may well play around wiring direct tomorrow.

What really peed me off though is that the internal lights are permanently on, so the only function of the rear decoder is the directional lights.  £55 for two decoders and the lights still say on is a bit unreasonable, particularly when you have three two car units to do.

1 hour ago, gordon s said:

What really peed me off though is that the internal lights are permanently on, so the only function of the rear decoder is the directional lights.  £55 for two decoders and the lights still say on is a bit unreasonable, particularly when you have three two car units to do.

A bit of re-wiring, and choice of suitable decoders with more function outputs could have brought the interior lights under control.    Shouldn't be necessary on a model, but if the maker doesn't provide the facility, the modeller has the option to change things. 

Well I’ve no shortage of functions on the decoder, so I’ll whip the body off tomorrow. I’m fairly certain the pcb connecting everything is accessible once the seats are lifted out. Providing I can cut the correct tracks and make the right connections, it shouldn’t be beyond the wit of man.

Whether it’s beyond me is another matter....;) 

A 6-pin decoder gets its power for the functions (blue wire on 8-pin decoders) from the rails (black and red).

Edit: to add diagram

4E6D2BFF-AED5-40D2-9FD0-C065088CE48F.jpeg

Edited by RAF96