Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Gresley A3 experts

doilum

Could any one confirm the colour of the cylinder covers and steam dome of an A3 in the late 1950s. If it helps, St Frusqin was shedded at Darlington / Gateshead. Lockdown denies me access to the club library.

Many thanks. I have really struggled to find any pictures let alone in colour. There is one new issue however, I had come to the conclusion that St Eff was one of the few A3s to remain with a single chimney. Swapping to a new casting is complicated by my decision to model the blast pipe and use a Triang style screw to secure the boiler assembly to the footplate. And the single chimney is better looking.

Having just finished the basic painting, the Precision rattle can is a perfect match to the photo. Name plates and transfers are ordered and the end is in sight.

• RMweb Premium

Look on the Brdatabase site. Searching for Brdatabase 60075 should do it (or this link may work http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&id=600112044&type=S&loco=60075 )and you'll get the allocation and some of the works history. Assuming the data is taken from Yeadon or another reputable source then 60075 gots its double chimney in August 1959.

This June 1959 shot lends credence to that: https://www.gotopcs.net/60075.htm

There are several more shots of 60075 on the Colour Rail website as well should you be interested (use the search facility within the uk steam section of colourrail.co.uk). Model it as filthy as in one shot and you need not worry about dome colour!

Simon

Edited by 65179

9 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Look on the Brdatabase site. Searching for Brdatabase 60075 should do it (or this link may work http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&id=600112044&type=S&loco=60075 )and you'll get the allocation and some of the works history. Assuming the data is taken from Yeadon or another reputable source then 60075 gots its double chimney in 1959. There are several more shots of 60075 on the Colour Rail website as well should you be interested (use the search facility within the uk steam section of colourrail.co.uk). Model it as filthy as in one shot and you need not worry about dome colour!

Simon

Thanks. I will double check my Yeadons. 1955 will suit me perfectly as I have ordered the Darlington shed plates.

12 hours ago, 65179 said:

A3s aren't my thing so I don't have that Yeadon to check otherwise I would have myself!

They weren't mine either, but to be fair I have grown to quite like them through this project. The chimney issue has me thinking about how we see what we want to see. Having read "carefully" both my RTCS and Yeadon's, my brain has eliminated the inconvenient truth of an ugly double chimney.

Big thanks to everyone who has helped.