Helping Hands - any good?

Helping hands have a very useful place on my WB. But not for precision soldering of the main construction of models.

I mainly use them for soldering the arms & legs on white metal loco crews. Also very good for holding small parts for soldering such as making brake standards & handles, clack valves etc etc. Also great for the painting figures and small parts.

My soldering is done on the flat surface of my WB and to hold the work I use very small pliers whilst tack soldering the parts together. Then an engineers square to tweak the joint before soldering along the whole joint. (The tack joints need to be very small.)

60/40 solder is not, by my experience, a good idea especially on a 9mm model. Try 145 solder which is softer and much easier to tweak a joint absolutely square.

Southernboy....

"Clothes pegs (some with the 'clamp' end cut short) held soldered ends and sides to the chassis for soldering."

Deffo not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but did you know you can do this with clothes pegs? Softer grip with more reach right down to a tip-grip...

post-106-127521882675_thumb.jpg

Deffo not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but did you know you can do this with clothes pegs? Softer grip with more reach right down to a tip-grip...

Well I didn't think of that - it certainly increases the clamping possibilities. Thanks.

Southernboy....

"Clothes pegs (some with the 'clamp' end cut short) held soldered ends and sides to the chassis for soldering."

post-106-127521882675_thumb.jpg

Yes, thanks, my post 11 :)

Yes, thanks, my post 11 :)

Southernboy, certainly your post #11 mentions clothes pegs, but it most certainly didn't teach me that I could do what Chubber has done with a clothes peg. I frequently use clothes pegs for holding components (plastics while solventing as well as metals while soldering), and that modification is going to come in really useful.

My Grandma died before she ever taught me how to suck eggs, and she never showed me how to do this with her clothes pegs either! So thanks a lot Doug.

Neil

Doh! Well I've certainly learned a lesson now!

I read the post when it was 'past my bedtime' and didn't clock that the clothes peg was the other way round - I think a case of 'seeing what I expected to see' rather than what was clearly before my eyes.

Chubber: Genius! Thanks, and my apologies for not reading your post properly first time round. I've just tried one out and it works well.

Barry Rhys: Thanks for pointing out my oversight, much appreciated.

Regards,

Mark

Archived