Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

MRC Easter Shows Central Hall 1970s

Hi all,

Does anyone have any photos taken at the MRC (IMREX?) Easter Shows which were held at the Methodist Central Hall Westminster during the 1970s.

My late father took me as a young teenager several times during the 1970s and definitely in 1978, as I still have the show guide for that year. I have been searching the web and magazines for images of the show and any attending layouts, but sadly nothing has turned up yet. I thought I'd try a post on RM web. I do remember that the Allen Downes 'Candleford Mill' layout was at the 1978 show.

Any pointers or pics or even memories would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

EUFMO was a separate show from the MRC Easter exhibitions.  It was absorbed by the MRC’s exhibition company Hobby Publicity during the late 1970s / early 80s and the show became IMREX in 1983

Tim

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Smallbrook Junction said:

My late father took me as a young teenager several times during the 1970s and definitely in 1978, as I still have the show guide for that year. I have been searching the web and magazines for images of the show and any attending layouts, but sadly nothing has turned up yet. I thought I'd try a post on RM web. I do remember that the Allen Downes 'Candleford Mill' layout was at the 1978 show.

I managed to persuade my dad to take me to that in the 70s as well, and then later when I was a bit older I was allowed to travel to it myself. I also recall seeing Candleford Mill there.

Candleford Mill was in the May 1979 issue of Railway Modeller.  Unfortunately, that issue is missing from my collection, so I don't know what photos were included. But that's a potential starting point if you can track down a second hand copy anywhere.

11 hours ago, CF MRC said:

EUFMO was a separate show from the MRC Easter exhibitions.  It was absorbed by the MRC’s exhibition company Hobby Publicity during the late 1970s / early 80s and the show became IMREX in 1983

Tim

Was'nt EUFMO also held in August too?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Smallbrook Junction said:

Hi all,

Does anyone have any photos taken at the MRC (IMREX?) Easter Shows which were held at the Methodist Central Hall Westminster during the 1970s.

I have been searching the web and magazines for images of the show and any attending layouts, but sadly nothing has turned up yet.

Many thanks,

Chris

I don't think you'll find a lot in the major magazines of the time. Why, because the mags devoted quite a bit of space to editorial content and ads appeared, BEFORE the actual exhibitions. Some of the layouts that appeared in the magazine for a month or two in advance, had as a footnote, that such and such layouts are booked for this particular exhibition.

Post exhibition information seemed to be related to any awards, new product releases announced etc, etc.

Pre-exhibition advertising is far more useful to clubs, as it gives would be visitors notice to make arrangements to attend. Thus the exhibition hosts, get a greater attendance, with the wider exposure.

The opposite appears to happen with clubs generally in Australia these days, in that it's hard to get 'free' advertising before the event.

Photos and some notes to the effect that 'those that attended, had a wonderful time', seems to be typical. Which is useless, if people forgot to attend or didn't know it was on, until much too late!

Good luck with your quest, almost certainly someone took photos.