What 4mm scale wheel /how remove?

Looking at the yellow ring around the axle, I’m wondering if they are Markits threaded nuts? They have two slots either side of the axle and a slotted screwdriver will undo them. Hopefully they are not too damaged.

image.jpeg.65b0d3b14e2b8cfe2508301fd10313f3.jpeg

Edited by gordon s

They're not Markits/Romfords, there's no slot in the brass ring. They look like the wheels I used on a NB Models J37 I built many years ago and later replaced with Romfords. Unfortunately I can't remember the manufacturer, but if I remember correctly the wheel was moulded onto the brass bush and it and the axle end were a taper fit.

(Could be early Gibson wheels

https://picclick.co.uk/Alan-Gibson-P4-Gauge-4mm-Scale-5ft-183361759432.html)

Edited by JeremyC

Early Gibson sounds likely, definitely finer profile than Romford/markits and plastic centred. My first attempts to shift them just pulled the rims off.

Looking like I will have to take a piercing saw to the axles and buy new wheels.

10 minutes ago, Darwinian said:

Early Gibson sounds likely, definitely finer profile than Romford/markits and plastic centred. My first attempts to shift them just pulled the rims off.

Looking like I will have to take a piercing saw to the axles and buy new wheels.

I think that was why I replaced them; the profile was too fine and the loco kept derailing.

Looking at that link they definitely look like those old Gibson style. Think I might still have the EM axles in my bits box. 

The loco also has an early Gibson plastic bodied gearbox which is now kaput, hence the need to remove that wheelset. I will try heating the axle end with the soldering iron. Nothing to lose even if the moulding fails.

They are Maygib wheels; brass centers and  push fit on to a slightly tapered axle.  I used a P4 set in EM gauge by turning down the axle and wheel seat.  For some reason which escapes me I had to remove a wheel and found it impossible.  I  had to put a piercing saw through the axle and buy a replacement set.

This would have been in the early 80's

Norman

Edited by Shed Driver
Text correction
  • Thanks 1

If the picture was in focus could probably give a better answer, but they look a bit like early Gibsons. The focus point is on the far wheel.

They are brass centred on taper axles.

To get them off, I used to try a pair of steel rulers behind the wheel, butting against the axle. Then a sharp tap with a small hammer and punch.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

If they are early Gibson wheels with the taper fitting you might not get them off, the fit was incredibly tight. Last time I had to remove some I eventually resorted to sawing the axle end off with a piercing saw behind the wheel.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Once I had sawn the axle off I did manage to punch out the remains of it with the wheel centre properly supported but this was completely impossible with the wheels in the frames - I couldn't get a strong enough support behind the wheels.

• Informative/Useful 2