Burchill Edge Sidings - BR Blue Carriage/NPCCS Sidings, with a nod to Manchester Red Bank & Bristol Malago Vale

9C85

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, 9C85 said:

20200812_162649.jpg.858eb13e17be17e56a4ae2c9459e694d.jpg

And there it was.... gone.

A brief visitor the layout today. I had to return it as the Railroad spec wheels really don't like my finescale bullhead track, especially the turnouts.  The layout centres around the idea of watching type 4 locos negotiating the switchbacks from the arrivals road to the fuelling point.  There's 4 switchbacks just for a light engine arrival -  more if there's ECS to drop off. I counted worst case from storage yard to fuel point requires a light loco to cross a turnout eleven times. 

It's a shame because the 40 had custom lights and an improved speaker, but it would have had to spend most of its time whistling away at the end of the fuel point headshunt... lesson learned.

The seller was helpful, if a little reluctant to accept the return.  I always check that returns are accepted for loco purchases, for precisely the reasons outlined above.  I am still relatively new to modelling with finescale track and DCC Sound. 

For now, I have a couple of cheap GUVs that will need fettling into grimy Newspapers stock. I need to take a break from buying and get back to building and shunting. 

I think you were a tad hasty in returning it, did you check the back to backs?

Railroad wheels pulled out run through my EM gauge track and pointwork.

Maybe a question on here might have saved you from grief.

Mike.

21 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Like I said, I am new to this game.

43 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Are back to backs the same for all wheelsets and track or do Hornby/Lima locos have a different gauge to Bachmann, and code 100 different to Bullhead?

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, 9C85 said:

Are back to backs the same for all wheelsets and track or do Hornby/Lima locos have a different gauge to Bachmann, and code 100 different to Bullhead?

You have a rather large can of worms in your hands, careful when you take the lid off!

A search of the forum will give you plenty of information regarding (the lack of) OO wheel and trackwork standards. Being EM I can't answer your questions but there are many on here who can, along with many who will muddy the water. A careful, methodical approach will pay dividends.

Mike.

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You have a rather large can of worms in your hands, careful when you take the lid off!

A search of the forum will give you plenty of information regarding (the lack of) OO wheel and trackwork standards. Being EM I can't answer your questions but there are many on here who can, along with many who will muddy the water. A careful, methodical approach will pay dividends.

Mike.

That is what I thought would be the case.

I am putting down the can and keeping to what I know works

• Friendly/supportive 1

I wouldn’t touch anything “ railroad “, thinking of your bullhead track. These are former Lima items rebadged and slightly improved by Hornby - but the wheels are still “ pizza cutters “.

Its for this reason you sometimes see written in RM articles “ we used code 100 track as some other the members have older stock with wheels to match ....” or similar.

I’d get a Bachmann 40, but beware the first releases (40075 ) from memory as the shape was rubbish, they retooled them fairly recently. I’d be looking for a good deal out there as they have now hit around £160 mark !

Edited by rob D2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I wouldn’t touch anything “ railroad “, thinking of your bullhead track. These are former Lima items rebadged and slightly improved by Hornby - but the wheels are still “ pizza cutters “

Really??

The chassis of the ex Lima models have been totally re tooled, if you've bought a Railroad range model with pizza cutters you've been had.

Mike.

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Really??

The chassis of the ex Lima models have been totally re tooled, if you've bought a Railroad range model with pizza cutters you've been had.

Mike.

Did they change the wheels then ? TBH though, regardless, the plastic chassis and feeble Hornby motor bogie are editor well outclassed by Bachmann .

• 2 weeks later...

Not much progress to report.  I have had the last 10 days off work including visiting family and friends in South Wales, a bit of a city break in Durham, and a garden DIY project using 'railway sleepers'. They're not even the real thing but weigh 30-50kg each, so my back is a bit tight to say the least.

I did get my ground signal back from Traintech and they have done a really good job of repairing my failed attempt at gluing the front and back sections together. No light leaks whatsoever.  I will be sure to order my remaining signals pre-assembled.

I know I set out to create a solely BR Blue era layout, with a run down inner city feel, and I am really pleased with my weathering efforts on both the track and the rolling stock, but I wouldn't mind adding a splash of colour or 'bling'

I was thinking today about having something like the Manchester Pullman visit the sidings to give a bit of variety  (albeit just a reversal of the blue grey scheme).

The obvious sticking point is that that my layout is diesel-only. But I could justify the Pullman by using the 08 or 25 to drag the stock on or off scene. I have even contemplated adding catenary to at least the arrival/departure road and the reception siding so that I could have AC electrics quietly roaring on and off the layout. 

I was under the impression that the Manchester Pullman train was just 'tarted up' standard MkII aircon stock, but it is unique to the Pullman - the number of windows being the obvious difference. 

I will probably have to settle for some relatively clean MkII aircon stock to lift the gloom a bit. 

Every day's a school day .

Edited by 9C85
Reworded
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Question: did ex-GWR Minks in Newspapers guise ever make it Up North? I have seen a picture of one at Swindon in 1980 and I remember seeing them at Cardiff in the 80s with ENPARTS branding.  I only ask because I have seen a few Lima models going cheap on eBay.  I am aware that I will probably have to re-wheel each coach. Cheers 

18 hours ago, 9C85 said:

Question: did ex-GWR Minks in Newspapers guise ever make it Up North? I have seen a picture of one at Swindon in 1980 and I remember seeing them at Cardiff in the 80s with ENPARTS branding.  I only ask because I have seen a few Lima models going cheap on eBay.  I am aware that I will probably have to re-wheel each coach. Cheers 

Do you mean Siphons? I used to see the ex Lima type Siphons all the time in the 1980's in Vic. as well as Gresley and Stanier brakes. The last time I saw an ex LMS 6 wheel 'stove' was working  through Victoria.

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Do you mean Siphons? I used to see the ex Lima type Siphons all the time in the 1980's in Vic. as well as Gresley and Stanier brakes. The last time I saw an ex LMS 6 wheel 'stove' was working  through Victoria.

Mike Wiltshire

Yes, apologies, I did mean Siphons.

Thanks for the info.  I now have them on my eBay radar 

3 hours ago, bartram108 said:

Your stock is so well weathered it blends in nicely with the brickwork!

Many thanks for the kind words. 

I have another couple of GUVs in 'the  paintshop' at the moment.  I hope to get them into 'ex-ex-works condition ' in the next week or so. 

• RMweb Gold
On 23/08/2020 at 20:29, 9C85 said:

I was thinking today about having something like the Manchester Pullman visit the sidings to give a bit of variety  (albeit just a reversal of the blue grey scheme).

I was under the impression that the Manchester Pullman train was just 'tarted up' standard MkII aircon stock, but it is unique to the Pullman - the number of windows being the obvious difference. 

I will probably have to settle for some relatively clean MkII aircon stock to lift the gloom a bit. 

Every day's a school day .

Really like what you are achieving with the layout, have a bit of a 'thing' for Manchester as one half of the family come from there!  I had a number of trips on the Bury-Victoria 504 electrics back in the day, but of course you could never see Red Bank from the train, if you could, I wouldn't have known what I was looking at being about 10 at the time!!

With regards to the Manchester Pullman, its big change to MkII stock as apart from anything else, it was the only Mk2s with inward opening doors! So the doors are all recessed.

Rich

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Nice.

You can tell which is the Laserglaze GUV!

Mike.

Thanks. 

I was contemplating getting some more laserglaze for the other GUV in the works but I have just ordered a pair of Bachmann Mk1 bogies for it, I will postpone the laserglazing until when  (if ever) I feel like doing all the remaining  three GUVs. I will also have to decide whether or not I want to have another go with waterslide transfers before weathering the two newest additions. 

I want to get my Newspapers train done and dusted  (literally) and move on to other jobs on the layout.  It's been more of a cost both financially and time wise than I would have liked. 

Then again, no one is forcing me to do it, so I must think it's worth it :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 9C85 said:

Thanks. 

I was contemplating getting some more laserglaze for the other GUV in the works but I have just ordered a pair of Bachmann Mk1 bogies for it, I will postpone the laserglazing until when  (if ever) I feel like doing all the remaining  three GUVs. I will also have to decide whether or not I want to have another go with waterslide transfers before weathering the two newest additions. 

I want to get my Newspapers train done and dusted  (literally) and move on to other jobs on the layout.  It's been more of a cost both financially and time wise than I would have liked. 

Then again, no one is forcing me to do it, so I must think it's worth it :mellow:

If a jobs worth doing,,,,,,,,,,,!

Mike.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, 9C85 said:

Have you seen the Railtec Transfers for Newspaper/GUV vans? Worth a look.

Rich

1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

Have you seen the Railtec Transfers for Newspaper/GUV vans? Worth a look.

Rich

Hello, yes they are the ones I have been using and got mixed results.

I am contemplating trying again but will probably give these coaches up as a bad job and try weathering them intto anonymity

• Like 1