SR Z-Class 0-8-0T - Drawings, Falcon or Millholme kit available?

Does anyone have a kit of the Maunsell Z-Class 0-8-0 Tank loco - maybe a Millholme KB256 or Falcon LK14 - stashed away?

Alternatively, a drawing set of the same?

I've seen the NRM archive list and they might be some drawings of 'B189'/Z-class in there, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Mark.

• RMweb Premium

Don't bother with either of those buddy. There is (or was) another Kit available, one tiny error with the Bunker shape but otherwise excellent IMO. I can't remember who did it now but it was available from Alton Models at one time. Have a poke around on Google and see if that version comes up. I will too.

Even the Golden Arrow Resin Body one makes a reasonable version using a 2.8.0. Chassis etc.

ATB

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

Cheers - I just found the DMR kit, supplied by Phoenix Precision.  As they're still listing it, I'll give them a call.

There is a thread here that praises it highly.  :)

That's the one buddy. I had one built by the late Geoff Brewin and he made a good job of it indeed; we found that it needed the two axle sets of Centre Driving Wheels to be flangeless for the layout I had at the time. He didn't have drawings so he made a minor error with the Bunker that isn't obvious; I am sure the sides taper inwards slightly towards the rear buffer beam? Otherwise it looks the works.

Sadly I moved that on some time ago. I also had a second DMR KIt but sold that too; sorry. Quite a few people on here, as you have seen, have made it or the 'plastic' one (£40 for the body?) and that can be made to look good too if you enjoy glue!

Good luck, Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

There's a good article in the Preview Edition of Model Rail Digest with an excellent drawing, which, however, being reproduced at 7mm scale, was printed across two pages and so is a bit compromised. A 4mm drawing on a single page would have been more useful, perhaps.

• Informative/Useful 1

31 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Quite a few people on here, as you have seen, have made it or the 'plastic' one (£40 for the body?) and that can be made to look good too if you enjoy glue!

Aha - yes, the Golden Arrow one.  Excellent lead, thank you.  I searched and searched and that one didn't come up until you gave me that tip.

27 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

There's a good article in the Preview Edition of Model Rail Digest with an excellent drawing, which, however, being reproduced at 7mm scale, was printed across two pages and so is a bit compromised. A 4mm drawing on a single page would have been more useful, perhaps.

That's also of interest...  I've just ordered the preview issue after finding an index of the entire 7-issue run and finding it there.  :)

11 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I think I might have a drawing somewhere from long ago; will search as I have actually recently made a folder 'of useful things' instead of a pile of torn out pages from magazines!

Will search now.

Extraordinarily kind, thank you.  If my search for a Golden Arrow or DMR comes to naught, I'll start to model it up in CAD.  Soon I'll have to purchase a 3D resin printer!

I already found this: A1oNGXAlJ6L.jpg

...and a bit of photoshop tweaking has made a rudimentary first stab at a GA.

Edited by FoxUnpopuli
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Ian Beattie's book "Southern Locomotives to Scale" published by Bradford and Barton has an excellent drawing of the "Z" class. I can't scan in my copy at the moment, the scanner seems to have stopped working.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

Aha - yes, the Golden Arrow one.  Excellent lead, thank you.  I searched and searched and that one didn't come up until you gave me that tip.

That's also of interest...  I've just ordered the preview issue after finding an index of the entire 7-issue run and finding it there.  :)

Extraordinarily kind, thank you.  If my search for a Golden Arrow or DMR comes to naught, I'll start to model it up in CAD.  Soon I'll have to purchase a 3D resin printer!

I already found this: A1oNGXAlJ6L.jpg

...and a bit of photoshop tweaking has made a rudimentary first stab at a GA.

That should be OK for a Kit reference.

P