RMweb

Middleton Top and the C&HPR

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Tortuga said:

Watching this with interest. Initial impression is that it looks good though a shame about the open frame and the operating wheels are crying out to be replaced with etched items!

How noticeable was the open frame on the real thing given the overhang of the hopper? It looks like it’s mainly in shadow, so perhaps the lack of daylight/framework might not be as obvious?

I should have taken a photo of the wheels - they’re not bad to be honest. I don’t think the lack of open frame will be too noticeable for the reasons you’ve stated. I’d come to the same conclusion which is why I’ve gone ahead. 
I spotted on Grahams thread you’re going to the Stafford show? I’ll be there on Sunday helping sheepbloke if you want me to bring anything along for a proper look. 

Jay

11 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Gannet time!

@noiseboy72 printed a couple of Gannets from the file previously talked about on here.

I sent the files to @Middlepeak for perusal also and he spotted a couple of errors such as the print isn’t an open frame design like the prototype. I’ve gone ahead regardless, curious to see if a passable model can be made. 
So with a fresh scalpel and steady hand I’ve removed the struts from one of these tonight. Shown in the photo below, there’s still a fair amount of cleaning up to do. Also the sides have bowed inwards. I’ve encountered this on other 3D prints and some gentle bending in warm water usually does the trick. Wheels and brake levers have been printed separately and will be added once the clean up is done. 
Im wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for suitable buffers for these?

I’ll be heading over to @cctransuk site for transfers and I’ve already sourced disc wheels from 51L. Should be a fun little project!

Jay

01900A49-A251-4D14-A5B7-187D311EA20E.jpeg.278b5f43abbb3dc5d8db2e36f592ca44.jpeg

30094547-0BDB-4287-BF10-9D4D30A2A1E3.jpeg.c632cc97c478420078d197aa04fa8ee6.jpeg

Glad these arrived in one piece. Hopefully the bowing is not too severe, it did not look too bad on the test print, perhaps 0.5mm over the length of the hopper?

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, noiseboy72 said:

Glad these arrived in one piece. Hopefully the bowing is not too severe, it did not look too bad on the test print, perhaps 0.5mm over the length of the hopper?

Any bowing is undoubtedly printer / material in origin; the prints kindly supplied to me by the designer were free from any distortion.

The provision of a solid rather than an open-framed chassis is, IMHO, scarcely noticeable, and is desirable from the perspective of robustness.

The hardest part with these prints would be to operate trains of empties - they are very light and have nowhere to hide any weight.

CJI.

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, noiseboy72 said:

It’s moved to about a 1mm each side. No drama! I bought a print of a NLR tank loco and it was same. Straightened out no problem with some gentle heat. 
Jay

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Any bowing is undoubtedly printer / material in origin; the prints kindly supplied to me by the designer were free from any distortion.

The provision of a solid rather than an open-framed chassis is, IMHO, scarcely noticeable, and is desirable from the perspective of robustness.

The hardest part with these prints would be to operate trains of empties - they are very light and have nowhere to hide any weight.

CJI.

100% agree with all of that. I think if this had been an open frame it wouldn’t have come off the supports in one piece for starters. 
They absolutely need weights disguised by loads and that’s the plan. 

Jay

14 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

100% agree with all of that. I think if this had been an open frame it wouldn’t have come off the supports in one piece for starters. 
They absolutely need weights disguised by loads and that’s the plan. 

Jay

Probably not an idea to consider drilling out to create an open frame then…

How difficult would it be to substitute in metal wheelsets? Would that help (a smidge) with weighting?

Have to say I’m seriously considering getting one or two, but the wagon kit loft insulation needs depleting first…

For the test print, I put in some Bachmann metal wheels from an old bogie bolster. Probably not quite right, but they certainly added a little weight. There should be room to get some more just under the buffer beams at each end, and still be invisible, and perhaps even a little along the sole bars, tucked in between the sides of the hopper. 

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Probably not an idea to consider drilling out to create an open frame then…

How difficult would it be to substitute in metal wheelsets? Would that help (a smidge) with weighting?

Have to say I’m seriously considering getting one or two, but the wagon kit loft insulation needs depleting first…

Metal wheels are pretty much obligatory - but the wagons are still too light unless loaded.

CJI.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Metal wheels are pretty much obligatory - but the wagons are still too light unless loaded.

CJI.

I’m thinking there maybe some confusion between the printer wheels for the hopper release on the side of the wagon and the actual wheels they roll on!

Jay

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

I’m thinking there maybe some confusion between the printer wheels for the hopper release on the side of the wagon and the actual wheels they roll on!

Jay

You may well be correct!

I have to say that I prefer the printed operating wheels to etched ones - the latter are very two-dimensional.

CJI.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Jay

Ah, you see, I “misread” the original photo and thought the circular “bits” on the side of the chassis were the hopper release wheels rather than a (?) backplate, hence my comment about replacing them with etched ones!

When you said you should’ve taken a photo of the wheels Jay, I assumed you meant it came with 3D printed wheelsets for some reason!

I mean, I have looked at the file, but it was a while ago and I’ve slept since then…

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Ah, you see, I “misread” the original photo and thought the circular “bits” on the side of the chassis were the hopper release wheels rather than a (?) backplate, hence my comment about replacing them with etched ones!

When you said you should’ve taken a photo of the wheels Jay, I assumed you meant it came with 3D printed wheelsets for some reason!

I mean, I have looked at the file, but it was a while ago and I’ve slept since then…

I guessed that was the case mate!

I’ve got some nice 51L metal

disc wheels for these. The wheel for hopper release is a separate print which will be glued on. 
As John says they are very light so will need weights and a load to conceal them. 

Jay

Ah, I go there for the classic bike show.

Much easier to get to than half the community centres, schools etc.

I might just be able to get there, depending on commitments, but it would be great to see Bleat and put faces to names on here.

M6 ? Not a chance. I'm not a fan of motorways, the only thing that keeps you awake is watching out for idiots and taxation cameras. Scenic route for me I'm afraid.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The Gannets have been cleaned up, brass bearings and wheels added. Brakes, levers and hopper release wheels glued on. 
Buffers are on order and once they’re attached painting can start. 

What sort of couplings would these have used? They seem to be obscured on all the prototype photos I’ve found. 

Jay

B32BA37A-036F-4298-B6CE-F9A6C76A440D.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

They look really good - and really delicate! Those sides are nearly translucent!

The hand wheels look very nice as well. What’s happened to the rounded bits on the chassis?

The rounded bits were plates with holes for locking pins.

They were removed over time - I'm guessing safety issues with trapped hands.

CJI.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

They look really good - and really delicate! Those sides are nearly translucent!

The hand wheels look very nice as well. What’s happened to the rounded bits on the chassis?

Yes the sides are quite thin but these are not as flimsy as the 4 wheel tenders I had printed. Far less brittle. As John says, the discs on the chassis are still there just sat behind the wheels now. 

Jay

12 hours ago, cctransuk said:

The rounded bits were plates with holes for locking pins.

They were removed over time - I'm guessing safety issues with trapped hands.

CJI.

Ah, that makes sense.

I noticed them on Jay’s first photo, but they don’t look to be present on the above shot. They seem to be absent on prototypes I’ve seen photos of.

Not having seen a drawing of a Gannet, I was starting to assume they were only present on one side of the wagon!

Edited by Tortuga
Making sense?

One of the many photos posted on the Cromford & High Peak Railway Facebook group shows one of the J94s with ‘Gannet’ DM197392 branded ‘Empty to Parsley Hay’.

Does this indicate some ‘Gannets’ were held at Parsley Hay specifically for ballasting work on the C&HPR (and potentially on the Buxton to Ashbourne line as well)?

If so, arguments against getting a couple printed myself are growing thin on the ground!

Edited by Tortuga
Extra text