Middleton Top and the C&HPR

JustinDean

Popped up on my FB too a couple of days ago. Looks to be mounted on an old 6-wheel tender frame (centre wheels removed) - possibly Webb?

I like the “buffer stop” in front - doubt that would survive a heavy shunt!

• Like 1

Not a Webb tender, but probably a McConnell version as used on the Bloomers. There were two versions, the short wheelbase type used originally and the  Webb modified LWB version used with the Bloomers when the locos were rebuilt by Webb.

I believe some were adapted for use in later life as water carriers on the C&HPR.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Morning,

Forgive me if this is something you know already (I haven't read the whole thread) but it came up on the wife's Facebook this morning and this thread came to mind:

393768809_10161807419152873_4108563700401986706_n.jpg.2bfaa54399050085017c684e27c4aae0.jpg

Caption: A somewhat scratched but (I think) historic shot from my September 1962 trip to the Cromford and High Peak. This is the Middleton Top stationary boiler, apparently an ancient LNWR 0-6-0. I was amazed to find it in steam; I don't recollect many shots where it was, but I'm probably wrong! My (Halina 35x) photograph.

Photographer's name was Ian Krause.

Thanks for flagging up. I’ve already commented on the FB post about its origins. 

DX boiler on a 4 wheeler McConnell tender chassis. 

Jay

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Not a Webb tender, but probably a McConnell version as used on the Bloomers. There were two versions, the short wheelbase type used originally and the  Webb modified LWB version used with the Bloomers when the locos were rebuilt by Webb.

I believe some were adapted for use in later life as water carriers on the C&HPR.

You’re quite right Jol. A number of McConnell and also Webb tenders were used supplying hamlets, the reservoir at Middleton Top and locomotives. 

Here’s my attempts at modeling some.

Under construction on my other layout:

D26D920B-5818-4FF8-8203-E12E9CE5ABFC.jpeg.31ed0a7712ce174f2ccb1108b97c2b81.jpeg

A finished one with exFurness 10t brake:

5EE4444E-4BE4-48CF-954A-18D545755AF0.jpeg.de9b0ebcf8a88624d1bad6d523f4cf94.jpeg

Finally a Webb tender cobbled together from whitemetal parts:

179350EC-0221-49DA-8B00-66C43418D081.jpeg.9654514f80515f26af863577e4e425c1.jpeg

• Like 13

58 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Is that not an improvised raised platform, from which to clean the smokebox?

Probably! I think this photo confirms it.

MNT202.jpg.6d358c9b63deed399d9d5c0537bd6e2d.jpg

There was never a proper buffer stop on the end of the shed road. When the engine house boilers were still in use, a wagon load of wood was regularly parked here, providing fuel. As this photo shows, there was a simple scotch made from an old sleeper, shored up with ash ballast. Nothing sophisticated here!         Apologies for the poor quality of the photo - copy of a copy!

MNT182.jpg.0100f289801e7f9981b87908d06f2541.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Thanks for flagging up. I’ve already commented on the FB post about its origins. 

DX boiler on a 4 wheeler McConnell tender chassis. 

Jay

Hi Justin,

I think it is a six wheel McConnell tender underframe with the centre axle, axle boxes and springs removed. The giveaway is the cutout above the centre axle guides where the spring was located.

Are your four wheel water cart underframes shortened six wheel ones (possibly cut down LWB type) or did McConnell design/build any four wheel versions? I can't find any photos of McConnell  four wheeled tenders.

Jol

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Hi Justin,

I think it is a six wheel McConnell tender underframe with the centre axle, axle boxes and springs removed. The giveaway is the cutout above the centre axle guides where the spring was located.

Are your four wheel water cart underframes shortened six wheel ones (possibly cut down LWB type) or did McConnell design/build any four wheel versions? I can't find any photos of McConnell  four wheeled tenders.

Jol

Hi Jol,

Yes center wheels were removed so tenders could be worked on the inclines. As for the ‘4 wheel’ short wheelbase tenders I’m afraid my knowledge doesn’t stretch to their origins! A cursory internet search doesn’t reveal any evidence of a 4 wheel tender existing so that would suggest a ‘cut & shut’. 

Jay

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Hi Justin,

Jol

Hi Jol,

The authoritative work on this is an article in the HMRS Journal written by Harry Jack and J R Hollick, which lists the CHP water tanks as follows:

Nos 1-4  Canada Works four-wheeled tender frames

Nos 5,7,9,11,14,15  McConnell four-wheeled tender frames

Nos 16, 17  McConnell six-wheeled tender frames, on four wheels

Nos 18,19  Webb six-wheeled tenders reduced to four-wheelers

So the McConnell four-wheelers were actually the most numbered tenders on the list.

Regards,

Geraint

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Another weekend and another J94. 
I’m going a little further with this old Dapol model:

Rear of the cab has been replaced, new spectacle plates front and rear with the front windows enlarged, rear bunker ladder, smokebox dart, backhead details and reverser lever and rod. 
Still to go: lamp irons, steps, buffer beams and buffers. Then the loco will get a respray, new numbers, couplers, coal and crew. 

F4B455CF-A941-4640-952D-CD11BB977D7C.jpeg.eda34e1aa3dd96cab70b55492c2563c3.jpeg

40426265-1868-4F5E-8232-E35303C30539.jpeg.ab5b40195598ba18fbadc3b981fcba1b.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/11/2023 at 16:48, Tortuga said:

How are you doing your drystone walling Jay? Both Whaley Shunt and Alsop are going to have that Derbyshire type of walling (a LOT in the case of Whaley) and I’m not sure how best to go about it…

A mixture of techniques.  
Some of it is made up from cast sections I bought off eBay. Some scribed DAS and some individual stones.
There’s a lot of wall on Middleton Top and life is short. 

Jay

On 08/10/2023 at 21:28, JustinDean said:

along with improving the sillouhette of the chassis.

Hi Justin ~ just re-reading through your Dapol J94 improvements and am intrigued what you did regarding the above, as you don’t mention anything in your write up? 

Steve S