Friden - Cromford & High Peak

Middlepeak

3 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

their one down side is their light brown colour - an almost perfect camouflage against the Cork base and the workshop carpet!!

Or indeed plywood baseboard surfaces and laminate flooring!

I feel your pain!

Hopefully this picture makes things a little clearer, without you having to turn your screen (or yourself) through 90°.

20221115_123025733.jpg.63f1102cf5415d5324254c1cb14dbf94.jpg

The wagon is standing on the loading bay road inside the works, about half way along. As originally designed, the works would be totally contained within the limits of this baseboard, but I just feel it needs to be a bit longer.

Templot and CAD beckon!

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

In the end I didn't have to resort to Templot, as it was possible to amend the TurboCAD drawing - just about!

One of the problems when you transfer a Templot output to CAD as a .dxf file is that all the smooth curves end up as a multitude of tiny straight sections. You don't notice this normally, but if you miss one or two as you're editing, the language gets more and more extreme!

Anyway, by moving the west end factory turnout slightly further round the loop I've end up with an extra 150mm on the length of the factory, albeit with a rather tight 900mm radius curve out of the building itself. Shouldn't be a problem for 4-wheel wagons running dead slow though. It also gives me a nice curve into the long straight section, which avoids track running parallel to a straight baseboard edge. This section will run along the top of bookshelves and should be quite an attractive stretch to see trains arrive and depart.

This picture shows the before (left) and after (right) designs.

159109338_FridenV4factorymods.JPG.aca29e18369caef58f0508c016399518.JPG

Next step is probably to design the next baseboard and get it cut.

G

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

With an enforced break in my p87 activities looming, I thought I should spend some time building the chassis for my two North London Tanks that will power the High Peak trains on the 1950s sequence for Friden.

The locos are being constructed from Mallard / Blacksmith kits, and from the names alone you will guess that these are 'heritage' products. In fact the first kit was acquired in 1976 and when completed saw sterling service on my Rise End Quarry and Middlepeak layouts right through to 2003 when the latter was retired.

As is always the case, technology in kit production and chassis construction has moved on a pace since then, so at the start of this year I sat down to design a new chassis for these locos, using the drawings and various photographs I had in my collection. Thankfully there is still one of the prototypes in existence on the Bluebell Railway, although not currently in working order. A plea for help through a 'friend of a friend' produced some very helpful detailed photographs, which have contributed to a more 21st century design. Thank you Bluebell!

The new chassis is etched in 0.4mm nickel silver and is designed specifically for P4. Frames and spacers are all one piece, which folds up to form an inverted U shape. This ensures that the hornguides are exactly opposite. Hornblocks will be High Level products, which allow a continuous spring to run the length of the chassis. Motors will be Mashima 1224s with High Level gearboxes. Wheels are Sharmans.

1557357736_Chassisetch3-2-22.jpg.4cb830407fb54f11af423c2dc1ced46a.jpg

More updates to follow as I start to remove parts from the etch tomorrow!

G

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Middlepeak said:

With an enforced break in my p87 activities looming, I thought I should spend some time building the chassis for my two North London Tanks that will power the High Peak trains on the 1950s sequence for Friden.

The locos are being constructed from Mallard / Blacksmith kits, and from the names alone you will guess that these are 'heritage' products. In fact the first kit was acquired in 1976 and when completed saw sterling service on my Rise End Quarry and Middlepeak layouts right through to 2003 when the latter was retired.

As is always the case, technology in kit production and chassis construction has moved on a pace since then, so at the start of this year I sat down to design a new chassis for these locos, using the drawings and various photographs I had in my collection. Thankfully there is still one of the prototypes in existence on the Bluebell Railway, although not currently in working order. A plea for help through a 'friend of a friend' produced some very helpful detailed photographs, which have contributed to a more 21st century design. Thank you Bluebell!

The new chassis is etched in 0.4mm nickel silver and is designed specifically for P4. Frames and spacers are all one piece, which folds up to form an inverted U shape. This ensures that the hornguides are exactly opposite. Hornblocks will be High Level products, which allow a continuous spring to run the length of the chassis. Motors will be Mashima 1224s with High Level gearboxes. Wheels are Sharmans.

G

I’ll be following with interest. I’m tempted to put one of my Branchlines chassis together at the same time. 

Jay

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

G

Rise End quarry, I remember it well. Especially for the delightful colour photograph on the cover of 'Model Railways'.

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

A hefty dose of the winter "lurgy" has kept me indoors for a couple of days, but at least I could keep warm huddled over the soldering iron.

The mainframes for the two North London Tanks have now been assembled. Quite a straightforward job, which consists of first adding the external detail such as guard irons and then soldering in the handrail knobs that act as CSB pivots on the inside faces of the frames.

20221218_123232638.jpg.73b4d0be2dc27d9470f595156d86b40c.jpg

20221218_121227723.jpg.cfa34d863231fbc4983b02ceab3b4b61.jpg

With all these parts in place, the mainframe etch could then be bent up into an inverted U, checking at each stage that the folds were square. The frame spacers at front and rear then slid into half-etched slots on the inside faces of the frames.

Final job for this stage was to fit the motion bracket, which sits perilously close to one of the CSB pivots. In the end I had to open out the holes in the motion bracket for the CSBs a bit more, but now everything fits snugly.

20221218_165856162.jpg.fc1cc2bfb96099dc8a9503d680872625.jpg

It's nice to feel some progress. Next stage is to assemble the coupling rods and set the hornblocks.

G

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Jay,

The wire used to set the CSB pivots is 0.4mm brass wire, which is a fairly tight fit in the handrail knobs and helps to get them lined up properly.

Ultimately the CSB wire will be spring steel and a more sloppy fit. Thickness depends on final weight of the loco and ride height, but we're nowhere near that stage yet!

G

• Informative/Useful 1

The next stage is to prepare the chassis for the fixing of hornblocks. The important thing here is to ensure that everything is square, so I like to secure the frames to a suitable piece of flat 18mm thick MDF, leaving plenty of space on either side to slide in a set square if needed.

20221219_180313912.jpg.2dbdc8dd5b00bdb898da017555c4f6d5.jpg

Before screwing it down, I've laid a print of the chassis artwork onto the surface. The blue lines mark the centreline of the axles. Again, another aid to getting things square.

G

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

For the North London Tanks, the drive will be onto the rear axle with the motor running forward confined to the area within the side tanks. It's therefore important to get this axle properly centred and square.

I use a shouldered axle for fitting hornblocks, with the shoulders turned down to 1.5mm to accept coupling rods at the next stage. For now though it's just a question of lining the axle up on both sides, using the markers on the plan below and a small square. Don't forget to ensure that the horn guide etch is also truly vertical.

20221220_162951821.jpg.c682c61872b693e4d8a076da0709dc76.jpg

20221220_163008527.jpg.84ff211682d9546c4fa27b868db2b1da.jpg

The spring holds the two hornblocks against the inside of the frames, allowing easy access with the soldering iron.

G

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The shouldered axle and spring - is this something commercially available? I’m sure I’ve seen a similar arrangement in Iain Rice’s Etched Chassis Construction book and seems essential to get the axle centres bob in in relation to coupling rods. 
Thanks

Jay

• Friendly/supportive 1

Jay,

London Road Models do a set of three jigs in stainless steel for £4.50. The only difference is that the reduced diameter projections are conical, rather than parallel. They don't include springs, but those can be sourced from elsewhere.

If you use these, I would recommend that you cut some short lengths of wire insulation which you can push on to the ends to trap the rods in place. You'll see what I mean in the next instalment.

Meanwhile here's a pic from the LRM website.

alignmentjig.jpg.ec62aaa70fe7576273d4efa0c98cc176.jpg

G

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Middlepeak said:

Jay,

London Road Models do a set of three jigs in stainless steel for £4.50. The only difference is that the reduced diameter projections are conical, rather than parallel. They don't include springs, but those can be sourced from elsewhere.

If you use these, I would recommend that you cut some short lengths of wire insulation which you can push on to the ends to trap the rods in place. You'll see what I mean in the next instalment.

G

Thanks G 

Pheonix Paints sell Sharman wheels now but alas no jig so I’ll invest in the LRM ones. 

cheers!

Jay

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Middlepeak said:

Jay,

G

I’m guessing if you don’t trap the rods they’ll ease themselves off the conical part taking the assembly out of alignment. 

Jay

• Agree 1

The photo shown from the LRM website shows the original aluminium taper jigs, now replaced by stainless steel as described. I use  pieces of outer insulation casing stripped from electrical cable pushed onto the ends to retain the rods.

Sharman wheels are now supplied by PPP, but only from existing stock while it lasts. They will produce a batch of one size/type to order if you ask very nicely but only in large quantities.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

The photo shown from the LRM website shows the original aluminium taper jigs, now replaced by stainless steel as described. I use  pieces of outer insulation casing stripped from electrical cable pushed onto the ends to retain the rods.

Sharman wheels are now supplied by PPP, but only from existing stock while it lasts. They will produce a batch of one size/type to order if you ask very nicely but only in large quantities.

Thanks Jol.

Yes I spoke to one of the chaps from PP at Warley and they said manufacture had stopped. Seems to tie in with the discussion on Tony Wrights thread about small suppliers a few days ago. Time to stock up!

Jay

• Agree 1

Final picture for now, showing the middle axle and hornblocks in place, held by the spring and the rods.

20221221_104141124.jpg.1ae64bb887bb8e086c6aaff4079a3346.jpg

Repeat the dose to secure the front hornblocks relative to the middle ones.

As they say, there will now be a short break in transmission while the second chassis catches up! 

Season's Greetings to all!

G

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Nothing much of late to report, as the workshop has gone Danish for a while, pending an exhibition commitment in mid-February.

All the hornblocks are now fitted, and the next stage will be to assemble the gearboxes. More updates to follow towards the end of next month.

G

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

A rare and welcome chance for a bit of High Peak modelling this weekend on the Structures course at the Missenden Spring Weekend.

Side 2 of the Youlgrave Road underbridge is slowly emerging, assisted by the handily placed coffee machine just outside the modelling room!

20230304_140445.jpg.df54aecb28a774477f3b75416735e522.jpg

G

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Middlepeak said:

A rare and welcome chance for a bit of High Peak modelling this weekend on the Structures course at the Missenden Spring Weekend.

Side 2 of the Youlgrave Road underbridge is slowly emerging, assisted by the handily placed coffee machine just outside the modelling room!

20230304_140445.jpg.df54aecb28a774477f3b75416735e522.jpg

G

Good stuff G! I’d toyed with the idea of signing onto a Missenden course myself.

Jay

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having survived my first Missenden weekend and made some good progress with the Friden bridge, I thought it was time to revisit a rolling stock project.

So, back to my plan to create two North London Tanks for the High Peak trains as part of the 1950s sequence. Previous posts showed progress to create an etched chassis that would fit under a pair of Mallard etched kits.

This week's task has been to fit wheels and rods to the first chassis. Wheels are Sharman's, assembled on their axles with a GW Models quartering jig. The rods are from my own etches and pivot on the centre crankpin. The motor is a Mashima 1220 driving onto the rear axle through a High Level gearbox.

20230314_205144.jpg.1694710d0d43631a191a71da780921c2.jpg

The view from below shows the continuous springy beams, formed from .33mm spring steel wire.

20230314_205252.jpg.d54fb6ffe282dee5ca2e51b53fb5e97f.jpg

Everything runs nice and sweetly, without binding, but there's still a good deal of fettling to be done before I can move on to cylinders and connecting rods - with all of this to be repeated on loco 2!

More soon, hopefully, after a visit to Ontraxs in Holland this weekend!

G

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3