Advice on currently-available motors and 'boxes

97xx

I'm in the process of rebuilding an old K's kit and want to put in a decent motor, gearbox and flywheel. K's motor has lots of play and runs average only at slow speed.

Back to the hobby during lockdown and I see the likes of Mashima have gone away (I've one ready for a to-be-built 61xx). I have looked at Markits offerings, but am keen to see what's available.

Couldn't find an up to date listing here, so hope you all don't mind me asking the question:

"Who and where supply good quality motors, gearboxes and mounts etc. for 00 gauge?"

I think specifically I would go for something along the lines of:

1. 38:1 or more

2. Horizontal motor about 23-25mm above axle centre

3. Double-ended so can fit flywheel

4. Will drive rear axle, so not too constrained on how far forward motor goes 

I'd prefer stuff that isn't Chinese - although critical of the K's motor, it did last 40 years and I don't want to rebuild it all again in my lifetime...

If I have to I can and will build a gearbox using gears, layshafts etc, but would prefer not to, as the model isn't good enough to justify that outlay in time, imo.

Thanks.

I always use High Level gearboxes. Not saying others aren't as good, but I've always been 100% satisfied with High Level. As others have already said there are different versions available to make sure you get the best fit for whatever model you are making. Chris (owner of High Level) is now stocking some new motors which are an excellent alternative to Mashimas. 

London Road Models might still sell a more traditional single stage motor mount if you don't want to build a gearbox. 

Cheers

Chris