LED Lighting

Chrisjh

I have just installed some new LED Lighting (similar to Christmas tree lights) in a circuit on my OO Gauge layout to look like bollards with lighting (and surprisingly for my  complete lack of modelling skills they look quite good), whilst they look good they are very bright and really too bright. Just wondering as the bulbs are 3V, rated 31Vdc 2.4 Watts  (???) is there any way of turning the brightness down? Unfortunately the lights are white but these were lights we had left over from Christmas so I decided to make use of them.

I have attached a picture which might illustrate the problem.

Alterantively can the bulbs be painted to reduce the dim, the bulbs never get warm presumably because they are LED.

If they can what Colour would everyone suggest?.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions, many thanks.

Stay safe.

Best,
Chris

Lighting.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I’ve recently done something not dissimilar on my layout, string of 50 ‘xmas/wedding/party lights’.  Only six are actually used, and the rest obscured or hidden. 

Mine were battery powered by 3xAA in series,  and ‘warm’; I was trying to recreate the yellowed glow of low wattage filament bulbs inside buildings.  They were too bright, and I’ve reduced the voltage from 4.5v to 3v by removing a battery from the holder and attaching a wire (for now a temporary crocodile clip type) between the missing battery’s terminals in the battery holder.  

This has cured a minor problem with ‘bleed’ and got the levels down to the effect I wanted to achieve.  The system has been in use for several hours a day for about 5 days now and the Duracells are holding up well.  My ultimate intention is to power them from an old 12v controller or power controller, and then I can have them at an even lower level and not have to worry about batteries.  

I find led lights for model railways to be far too bright, and have powered my Dapol signal lamps from a variable voltage output mains power adaptor/charger picked up from the electronics stall in my local market.  Output is 6v, the lowest at which the signals will operate, and the lamps are still too bright; at the recommended voltages they’d burn my drivers’ eyes out!

Intention is to lower light output further by applying a watered down was to the leds, but I am worried about overheating them and haven’t had the nerve to try yet!

BCA7598F-418F-4F48-B744-7FB55F9155DD.jpeg

D48366A5-FC48-423A-ABF2-1CEA0F090B57.jpeg

295B39D5-C569-4474-B361-2496569CB768.jpeg

• Like 1

It sound to me that you don't want to get into wiring electronics etc., so my suggestion is matbe to find another power source with a 12 or 15v dc output.

Something from another piece of equipment you no longer use. Possibly something like a Wifi Hub power pack.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Intention is to lower light output further by applying a watered down was to the leds, but I am worried about overheating them and haven’t had the nerve to try yet!

Just FYI, I have regularly painted LEDs with Humbrol Acrylics to alter light output without any adverse effects.

For example, for a signal lamp I used a 3mm yellow LED. Here without any paint:

single-signal060.jpg.f5c1804989799f838cee8ec8ed2964fe.jpg

And then here plastered in Matt Black, apart from a small bit of the lens:

single-signal066.jpg.34b02e5256ec2f4c3b5b5eaea586b065.jpg

Hope that helps,

Al.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks again, as my LED lights are bright white as I couldn't get any warm white LED Lights and they are too bright, can anybody  kindly suggest which is the best accrylic colour to dampen down the brightness?

Many thanks all the best,

Stay safe.

Best,

Chris