Bachmann 08 - shifted rods?

Hi. I have a Bachmann 00 gauge Class 08 from the St Blazey set. It has an issue where it gets stuck at low speed; motor still humming but some resistance prevents movement. After complete disassembly I’ve found that when the wheel sets turn, the connecting rods move slightly out of alignment on one side, and by doing so create enough resistance to stop further movement. When more power is applied, it gets going but with a regular clunking noise ( just like the real things!) as the wheels turn. I think replacement of wheel sets and rods will be easier than fiddling around with the tiny pins, but wondered if anyone else had encountered this problem? Anyone with a Bachmann 08 chassis they want to sell, drop me a message ! Thanks in advance...

There has been at least one thread on this, if you have the [patience to try search options to filter it out! Some people have described this problem and what they did next.

If you have concluded that it's not good enough, and that purchase of replacement parts is the way forward for a definite fix, I would suggest you are now in the zone of nothing to lose by attempting adjustment and repair.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The problem with my Bachmann one was that the rods weren’t pinned together properly, very loose at the joint. So the distance between the crankpins constantly varied. I cured it by soldering the rods up solid - at the correct distance and in a straight line of course!

Izzy

• Informative/Useful 1