Adam's Workbench - Industrial Modelling and 3D printing

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Harry Dawe said:

This looks fantastic. Really, really good. Must admit I'm a newcomer to your thread- may I ask if you make your prints available to buy? 

Thanks, 

Harry

Cheers Harry

I'm hoping to have some of them available for sale in the not too distant future, just trying to figure out what's going to be in the range and how to reliably print them (so nothing major :lol:). It's pretty easy to print a one off as if a part doesn't come out perfectly you just make another with different settings/supports or shrug and say that'll do. But to sell them you really need every part to be correct every time or else I'm wasting money and time and that means lots of testing.

The Manning Wardle probably won't be part of it unless I can make it sturdier as right now it's really fragile and flimsy, not the sort of thing I want to print too often, Florence also probably won't be put up for sale partly because I was only interested in making Florence and don't fancy modelling it's sister engines as there's so many variants to consider and also Hardy's are  going to be doing them  anyway (though of course I think mine's superior)

• Informative/Useful 1

OK, thanks Adam I thought I'd check.

I'm looking to scratchbuild something similar to an F on an L&Y Pug and was thinking some of your parts would be handy, in particular the smokebox with door and chimney, tank and safety valve as they'd be awkward to make. 

If you did decide to make these available I would be interested. 

Anyway, great modelling and keep up the good work! 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Harry Dawe said:

OK, thanks Adam I thought I'd check.

I'm looking to scratchbuild something similar to an F on an L&Y Pug and was thinking some of your parts would be handy, in particular the smokebox with door and chimney, tank and safety valve as they'd be awkward to make. 

If you did decide to make these available I would be interested. 

Anyway, great modelling and keep up the good work! 

I hadn't considered selling detail pieces but that's a pretty good idea considering I can better a white metal casting most of the time, I may have to look into it as I already have a small 'back catalogue' of pieces like buffers, chimneys and safety valves that could suit a wide variety of scratch built models

If it's the manning wardle parts you want though you may want to consider rt models, they already do a fair number of suitable castings

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Adam FW said:

I hadn't considered selling detail pieces but that's a pretty good idea considering I can better a white metal casting most of the time, I may have to look into it as I already have a small 'back catalogue' of pieces like buffers, chimneys and safety valves that could suit a wide variety of scratch built models

It's possible, I recently shipped a load of various 3D printed bits and pieces from my kits to a certain mutual friend of ours who was planning on looking at casting them. Doing production runs on a budget printer is a right pain in the posterior, particularly when it comes to consistency, so it might be an easier way of doing it if the detail can be captured properly.

Edited by TurboSnail

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

It's possible, I recently shipped a load of various 3D printed bits and pieces from my kits to a certain mutual friend of ours who was planning on looking at casting them. Doing production runs on a budget printer is a right pain in the posterior, particularly when it comes to consistency, so it might be an easier way of doing it if the detail can be captured properly.

It’s certainly an option but on small pieces any air bubbles in the casting resin or imperfections in the tool become a more significant issue, but casting would presumably be much faster than printing especially if you had multiple moulds to use at once

so far I’ve not had any issues with printing detail parts and I can fit a lot onto a single print. Last week I managed to get 4 of these rafts onto a single print and all the pieces came out fine with space to spare.

image.jpg.8d95cedaf968516566a399b9d355f533.jpg

I just need to reorientate the reverser as a lot of time is spent on it alone as it’s the tallest piece

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The manning wardle body is finally in one piece. The printed knobs for the vertical handrails have come out better than expected though in hindsight I should have used a thicker wire under the hand brake to give some variation 

there’s still some stuff I can do to it now primarily clear coat, coal and glazing but also need to order some name plates, builders plates and and gold

number decals. I was sure I had some but they were lms yellow numbers and too large for this little loco

3EBBA15B-29D0-4650-90A0-F9A63BC041F6.jpeg

708DC4C4-00C4-4A76-B94E-58F0D3F2574A.jpeg

EA48F692-8097-4BA4-A304-228D03B3159C.jpeg

7CB6089C-5BF1-4A01-AEB6-90EBA82FEBFF.jpeg

A5372C38-7EFD-48CA-AACA-50CC5411AD11.jpeg

F4F9B1A9-E5E1-49D8-9947-62E9A7537478.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Corbs said:

The MW looks flipping gorgeous!

Guess you could say it's a Super-Sharpthorne?

I dread to think how long it took you to come up with that or how long you've been sitting on it waiting to use it

• RMweb Gold

It's emptying it down at the moment and I've been wanting to clear coat the Manning Wardle but don't want to spray paint the inside my house and the garage is overflowing with junk so I can't get in there to paint either. Fortunately necessity is the mother of invention.

As is my normal technique I blue-tacked the model to a kebab stick to keep my fingers paint free, took it outside under an umbrella to keep everything dry, opened the garage door and clear coated the model underneath the now open door.

But it's also cold outside so didn't want to leave it in the garage to dry so ended up bringing the model back inside but had nothing for it to stand in. So stabbed the kebab stick into the top of a pack of toilet roll

IMG_0614.jpg.16e12747111557da991f0f81506e3280.jpg

I run a very professional operation with all the latest equipment :laugh_mini:

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

I’ve done all that I can on the manning wardle for the time being. It’s been clear coated to protect the lining, the windows have been glazed,  some coal has been added to the bunker and the whole thing bolted down onto the terrier chassis.

once things are back to normal I’ll get some etched plates and gold number decals to really finish it. I might even get a loco crew

the only other thing I’m considering doing is painting the connecting rods though I’ve not had much luck with this in the past

1CF34C95-481D-4F75-A067-7F4FF74C3596.jpeg

BF400D9F-050A-4693-8B60-9C21FA65399A.jpeg

A0C49373-F5CB-4D74-870B-B11D9EDF74FC.jpeg

199ACEF7-C3B2-4F67-A72A-EA16A8955B76.jpeg

681B026E-2932-400B-95F0-0F6F3CDB5B2E.jpeg

84F3613F-6493-4A2C-B2B7-90E4FCD6FF9C.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, MattDitch said:

Sorry if this has already been asked. But is the Kitson likely to be made available to buy as a kit? The real one is local to me and I have quite the soft spot for it! 

I’m unlikely to put it on sale in its current guise unless I sell it as an aid to scratch building or as a one off as I’m not happy with the model. It’s been an absolute pig to build and the chassis has had to hacked about a ridiculous amount yet is still too tall making the entire model too tall.

if you or anyone else can think of a more suitable chassis that might be worth trying out I’d be willing to consider a mk2 and if that works it could well be part of the range I’m planning on making available. An austerity wheel base (not wheel spacing) and wheel size looks about right But I don’t think either the Hornby chassis will work due to the high integral running board and the DJM model version isn’t available new anymore and the chassis wasn’t very good anyway.

Alternatively if you really want a kit I believe Judith Edge do an etched brass one. I’ve never made one to be able to say how good it is however.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, MattDitch said:

Understood @Adam FW

Hmm I know the prototype has unusual wheel spacing and I can't think of anything RTR that has that. Would the Jouef 0-6-0 with the motion removed not work as an alternative? 

the weird wheel spacing is why I'm ignoring that feature, I know in RTR I won't find anything that will match it. If I can get close to the right wheelbase and wheel diameter it'd be acceptable for me. As I understand it the rear axle is far forwards to clear the firebox as it sits in-front of the firebox rather than the more typical behind on a normal 0-6-0T. the middle axle isn't anywhere near central to allow space for the valve gear.

the jouef/electrotren 0-6-0 might look acceptable with the pistons removed and installed backwards but it has a wide motor that can't be easily hidden due to the pannier tank.

A new Hornby terrier is an option that didn't exist when I first designed the body and it's something I've considered. It's wheelbase is too long but no worse than the current thomas chassis

• Like 1

How about a Bachmann  James? Chassis overall length 83 mm, wheelbase axle centre to centre 42.5 mm, wheel dia; 18 mm tread to tread so plus tyres  is about 19/19.5 mm.

Following this thread with interest, its very good so far.

Mic

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

How about a Bachmann  James? Chassis overall length 83 mm, wheelbase axle centre to centre 42.5 mm, wheel dia; 18 mm tread to tread so plus tyres  is about 19/19.5 mm.

Following this thread with interest, its very good so far.

Mic

quite surprised the James wheelbase is shorter than thomas, the wheel size is the same so I had presumed that Bachmann would just add a pony truck to a thomas chassis to make James

It has been pointed out to me recently that after the 'not thomas' range got shut down Bachmann changed their junior range to saddle tanks, these locos have different chassis constructions which may lend itself better to the kitson as the motor is lower and no longer attached to the body though I don't have one to test and the wheel diameter is still wrong

image.png.9dd565eff86d3ccb3a8bbaac1de6cba1.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

One of my latest mini projects, a set of unusual flanged bagnall buffers 3d printed in 4mm scale

685B0DEF-48E4-4BE4-9159-4EB91B821D01.jpeg.ce34b1de9fd36cb1c394cead19f5b5ed.jpeg

to my knowledge the only surviving loco with these fitted is a bagnall called Alice based in France 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, BurnleyModeller said:

Really like those buffers Adam, convenient for myself too as I'm planning on building Alice with the hardy's kit later in the year. Do you have a website or something to order a set from?

thanks

I don't have a website at the moment but hoping to get a store page up and running for some kits and parts in the near future but god knows when exactly.

If you're interested in these drop me a private message and we can sort something out. Small items like these are easy to squeeze onto print beds with something else and I need to get another set done anyway.

I've also designed some peckett and avonside buffers that I really should stick some photos up of

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My 3D printer has been working overtime recently and the case was getting covered in resin marks from me picking it up with resin on my gloves.

so I’ve upgraded and added some suction cup handles to keep the case clean. Just got to clear the old marks off now and it’ll look good as new.

E1C6E723-43D1-414B-BBAB-BAAF9C2A0776.jpeg.f687e418f8d7b6469eb291eb128761a4.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I should have posted this a while ago but I’ve finished the kitson pannier tank

as I’ve said before I’m not particularly happy with it as the chassis is a pretty poor runner and the model is too tall to fit the chassis but it looks pretty with some essential industrial weirdness

E81AA701-71BE-4E71-AB8E-C1E8C29D5EEB.jpeg

D7834565-D4CA-4390-8E24-7650C575F313.jpeg

52CC5F8A-A6A0-42EF-BC85-C4887C14EBE5.jpeg

8006AC5A-86A6-4018-B097-7EC65E5516D6.jpeg

00A8374D-59C0-4A59-B69C-6A56C25F348F.jpeg

737BE3B1-A71F-4F84-806D-63ADDD26BB5F.jpeg

64079E5C-3E67-4100-AFA1-DA16C77177C7.jpeg

22BB3888-481E-4438-9B74-3130BCEB903B.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

As @Corbs has already announced some of my designs are now available on his Railway Mania shop, we're starting small with a series of 4mm scale industrial buffers and hopefully some other detail parts will be added in the near future

image.png.b0a19018404ef4cb3109e929b5853eea.png

But more excitingly we've also got a range of Avonside 0-6-0ST kits coming soon to fit the Hornby B2 chassis. There will be a line up of 6 different kits covering both round tank and square tank locos including Portbury, Edwin Hulse and St Dunstan but they're designed to be easily modified to model a wide number of prototypes. Each will come printed in 3 main components for easy painting and quality printing with a set of detail parts including buffers, cab details, safety valve etc.

634253098_lineup10.jpg.c187998c526e943bdd18036f28c04968.jpg

79288113_lineup8.jpg.6d4b8083b341a31f272517b8f4585ff5.jpg

2026950301_portburyperspective2.jpg.6eddc143eb422712df5b2276ba34ceb8.jpg648900286_portburyperspective1.jpg.cfffa9d3f56e5524b0252b2fbadc9ff3.jpg1197867033_Annotation2020-07-14212035.jpg.7532e5e1d71158c16dacab3ec4903c3f.jpg558263063_sqaureperspective1.jpg.61e53c1f3c882e7c2aedd29f233ff14e.jpg

I've got a bit more work to do on the square tank designs but I'll be posting the build of a Portbury kit in the coming days

• Like 11