Adam's Workbench - Industrial Modelling and 3D printing

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

that livery looks just like the EE export ones for down under.

PS-If you do the next run without the cut out for the RTR coupler, put me down for one (BR version).

I had to google exported English Electric locos and you're right some of the liveries are very similar to my 0-6-0, that's not what my livery was based on but it's surprisingly similar.

Thanks for you interest in the kit, rather than a dedicated running board without the cut outs, we're considering an updated detail pack that includes filler pieces that can be glued in and the seam hidden with a bit of filler no ideal but we think it's the best route forwards (we just need to prove it works)

Although modelling an alternative running board would take moments the issue comes afterwards, I'd have to re-do all of the support material, ensure the print is reliable, then stock both varieties and complicate the ordering and packaging process to cover both options, not much of a problem with only 1 running board but we already have 2 varieties for the Hudswell alone with more planned. I have tried having a 'snap off' cover piece but it was unreliable. I'm open to alternative idea though.

On 29/03/2021 at 05:33, Adam FW said:

It's been a pretty whirlwind week, last weekend the Hudwell Clarke 0-6-0DM kit I designed went on sale through Railwaymania and we've nearly sold all of the first batch already and some very keen builders have already got their models underway and they look great so far.

Anyone following the railwaymania thread or social media pages may have already seen an image or 2 of my build of the Industrial version

But here's a few more images of it including the working LED headlight

image.png.3c211859b89f94da00c902aee203025b.png

image.png.afbcce5e33d65db02285d6326934a6da.png

image.png.11775641e6ba5b9aabfe7d8251e5aced.png

image.png.b21df214fa9bd8de2c61660c4f35c5f3.png

The paint work isn't my finest  and the livery has been described as looking Indian, Cuban, Javan etc and I can't help seeing the German flag but it is based on a British loco, just not an 0-6-0 Hudswell, bonus internet points if you can figure out which one.

would i be correct in this guess for the livery

huds-L.jpg.8362e58d42b76bd8cb79f428ab6b94af.jpg

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/03/2021 at 00:08, SteelAndSoot said:

would i be correct in this guess for the livery

huds-L.jpg.8362e58d42b76bd8cb79f428ab6b94af.jpg

You are indeed correct, the livery I used was based off Carroll a Hudswell 0-4-0 diesel. I've got no idea how long Carroll wore this livery as that's the only image I could find of it so the back of the cab was a guess based on a blue livery it ran with at some point.

On a separate I don't suppose anyone knows what the little orange loco behind Carroll is? I think it's a Fowler but I'm not sure

• RMweb Gold

So the Hudswell Diesels have been a lot more popular than we were expecting and the first batch on the Railway Mania shop has already sold out, I'm in the process of moving house but we'll be restocking them in the near future.

In the meantime I've been working on another personal project and trying to expand my fleet of Foxfield Railway locomotives, after Bellerophon and Florence this time it's the turn of the Dubs crane tank, Dubsy.

image.png.dfd4d3d77aa88f1961fa7783eb430415.png

The model is designed to fit onto the Dapol B4 chassis, with the PCB removed and a DCC decoder hardwired in. Sadly the B4 is still on the large side so Dubsy will be more like Chubsy and has had to be scaled up a bit to fit. I've been working off photographs I took at a gala along with some drawings of older, smaller dubs crane tanks and the limited dimensional details on Dubsy that I could find and these are some of the early images of the work in progress 3D modelling

image.png.6df8a6243587d0c0b673ca547858c90d.png

image.png.558dd654a013030affcd8aa5efb30352.png

image.png.e1c7e57d1d3ae678c9be96059ebffff3.png

On a separate note if anyone has any drawings or dimensions for other Foxfield locos they'd be willing to share so I can try modelling them or even making a kit let me know, I'm most interested in the Kerr Stuart Witch class 0-4-0ST (4388, 1926) and the 6wDM Kerr Stuart Diesel (4421, 1929) but any of their locos would be of interest to me

• Like 10

• Adam FW changed the title to Adam's Workbench - Dubs Crane Tank - Dubsy
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Stepping back from modelling Dubsy and the recent Hudswell Clarke diesel kits I’ve got some good news about my other railway mania kit, the Avonside B4. Its been featured in another magazine!

Back in September the round tank version of the kit appeared in a BRM article which I was thrilled about. Now the last 3 pages of the Modelling Industrial Railways supplement in the May edition of Railway Modeller covers Callum Willcox’s build of the St Dunstan kit.

16E6E828-8147-4578-AB1B-FD7241B49188.jpeg.2a3278c7eeabc628689a5b59a8c9c2e1.jpeg

We might not be fortunate enough to be a cover star just yet but the model does appear on the back packaging and looks fabulous IMO.

It really makes me want to build a st Dunstan or st Martin to go along with my st Thomas but I've got too much other new stuff on the go for the time being, maybe someday when I have the patience to do the wasp stripes again or try decals instead of paint.

Edited by Adam FW
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

This is the complete 3D model for Dubsy, it took a ages to get all the rivets done but the pattern along curve tool made it a lot quicker and easier than trying to do it manually. There's had to be a bit of creative license in some areas as I've never seen a top view of the crane for instance but I'm pretty satisfied with it.

image.png.7bd65538549b94d83645f11bcb9648e0.png

image.png.8b1429a0ea972cc3f458963c3e9fdb79.png

image.png.2c58dddd085379e3a29f32972b3a0efc.png

I'm not looking forwards to printing the crane jib though, that could be a massive headache to sort out the best orientation and support, it may be best split into multiple pieces like the body. Exactly when I'll be able to start printing it is a bit up in the air at the moment but hopefully within 2 or 3 weeks I may have the time to work on it again

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

After the house move I got my 3D printer up and running sooner than expected and decided to do a quick test print of the key parts of Dubsy to make sure they fit the chassis and see how they printed.

I’m happy with the boiler parts and the crane base but I need to go back and add more support material to the cab and running board to remove the sawtooth effect (most visible on the left side of the running board in the 3rd image) and alter the orientation of the side tank to reduce layer lines.

I'm happy with the detail, especially the little safety valves but the cab definitely needs some stiffening. I've designed in some holes for wire to thread inside the backsheet and strengthen it but one is clogged with resin so I need to drill that out very carefully, at least with this cab I can experiment without the worry of damaging a good part.

image.png.fb467921605eacc21c2c70bf4da6497d.png

image.png.7aa08067c8129c75348438472d3502b8.png

image.png.e88532fceee5954fa82f8d1442ed2d3a.png

As far as fitting the Dapol B4 chassis goes, it's a bit tight at the front so I'm adding some more clearance behind the buffer beam but I think I've ended up with just enough space to keep the PCB in the boiler, it will be tight especially with a decoder but if I can manage it it simplifies things nicely

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been a long time coming but I've done some more work on my 3D printed dubsy

Dubsy has an improved running board, cab and side tanks and now has the main crane structure mounted for the first time. It all fits onto the un-modified Dapol B4 chassis but fitting a DCC decoder and keeping the standard PCB may be a tall order

image.png.565a01eba479e5217da9646b7ba94bfc.png

image.png.3001967d0a8bbde201a86c2fdd1a6ced.png

image.png.4aa15a312212fe6ac1e6519f201bf270.png

Everything is currently held together with blutack including the crane which is in 2 pieces but once the weather dries up I'll paint these bits in primer to look for defects and get on with printing the remaining parts and gluing it all together

Edited by Adam FW
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I printed off the detail parts for dubsy yesterday along with a spare crane, most of the bits came out very well just a couple to redo with slightly altered supports

2EF9369B-D154-4004-938C-FBFC9778164F.jpeg.8d0bbe4d185919571d982f42539eebb5.jpeg

I may also do some slightly chunkier version 2 gears. These ones look good but are very fragile having already chipped one.

Hopefully it’s just those updated gears and the crane hook to design having so far failed to find a suitable metal one to use

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It took a bit of experimentation but I printed some hooks I'm happy with for dubsy after being unable to find a suitable white metal one but these printed ones are unfortunately quite delicate

image.png.7d61f4cc78d834d3334608bb6997428f.png

I've now got quite a lot of dubsy painted up, here's some of the painted parts drying after the first coat of colour

image.png.5e547b09677a06f002c9bdb03399b557.png

I wasn't happy with the green, the shade was a bit too minty so it was overpainted changed in the end, the new green took a long time to dry so I pushed ahead with building up the black parts first

image.png.bd273cad8de51499050e3c74ce598c2a.png

Once the paint was dry I assembled the gears onto back of the crane, filling it with lead weight in the process

image.png.684e597b4e4582135088d7a54c85c5eb.png

I then glued the crane together and test fitted it onto the boiler

image.png.26048789a4a7793cfc3f2af184d39d44.png

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

There was  a bit of a cock up with the left had tank for Dubsy, I managed to break the hand rail knob whilst drilling it out for the hand rail so needed to print and paint a new one which took a while as the green spray paint takes ages to dry. Both tanks are also filled with lead along with the crane to give some weight to the model

image.png.e7ade33a08a2f177c286811a050f9fa6.png

Sadly I've misplaced the reverser lever and so I'm having to paint up a spare, this has stopped me from gluing on the cab on and finishing the model off but the cab is now painted and assembled ready for fitting

10416468-04B1-41AD-A1FE-65EBF6047755.jpeg.8503b583b334541b58adefe329163dc8.jpeg54BF86F7-E0F8-424A-B89C-9F8F18C588D3.jpeg.6ad7d16b85fe23353d3cf5fc973accf9.jpeg

Edited by Adam FW
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
On 07/06/2021 at 13:51, Asterix2012 said:

Looks good Adam

How far did you have to scale it up?

Thanks

It varies, most of the increase is in the length, the B4 was a relatively big 0-4-0T and I'd estimate my dubsy is about 15% longer than it should be, sadly the Dapol chassis is pretty complex otherwise I would have cut it down

Other than length the overall height is around 2-3mm taller than it should be, mostly this is to account for the large B4 wheels and needing to cover the motor with the boiler which forces the cab and crane up to maintain the overall look.

One of the many benefits of modelling this on CAD is that should a more suitable chassis become available or I make a custom chassis in the future I can adjust the 3D models to suit it rather than starting from scratch

Edited by Adam FW

• RMweb Gold

It’s taken longer than I wanted but Dubsy is finally built after a last minute disaster with some matte varnish which made the model look really chalky until I over sprayed it with satin instead.

image.png.ff19423036f6a724de87db90a9bcb5e9.png

image.png.fd4d4cebb6d083c51f8ecc98bf75daa3.png

image.png.f5b42672035da50c789aa0297668fd78.png

image.png.6cb59d9bffbfdd2e203371ef6b8a2de7.png

As previously mentioned due to using the Dapol B4 chassis as it's base, Dubsy is bigger than it should be but still looks the part IMO. I'm very pleased with the crane, it can be rotated fully for posing though the chain and gears are fixed

F455F228-B0EC-4B4D-B9AE-53436FCF8445.jpeg.66dc0b08ac2b3a228d3466b1547c6447.jpeg

I want to figure out a way to stop the hook flailing about so much, inertia doesn't scale so it swings about too much in travel, if anyone has any ideas I'm open to suggestions, currently I'm thinking about dabbing some glue between the links to fix the dangling chain in place or maybe a small amount of thick grease to provide some resistance. Beyond that I just need to order some Dubs builders plates to finish it up,

Edited by Adam FW
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Adam FW said:

Thanks

It varies, most of the increase is in the length, the B4 was a relatively big 0-4-0T and I'd estimate my dubsy is about 15% longer than it should be, sadly the Dapol chassis is pretty complex otherwise I would have cut it down

Other than length the overall height is around 2-3mm taller than it should be, mostly this is to account for the large B4 wheels and needing to cover the motor with the boiler which forces the cab and crane up to maintain the overall look.

One of the many benefits of modelling this on CAD is that should a more suitable chassis become available or I make a custom chassis in the future I can adjust the 3D models to suit it rather than starting from scratch

It certainly looks the part Adam, and crane tank models are thin in the ground.

I would be interested when you bring this one out, and probably would have another if you get around to a scale chassis 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/06/2021 at 04:04, Sandhole said:

Will you market the Dubs Crane tank?
If so, what will be the price, Please.
Regards,
Chris.

On 10/06/2021 at 18:10, Asterix2012 said:

It certainly looks the part Adam, and crane tank models are thin in the ground.

I would be interested when you bring this one out, and probably would have another if you get around to a scale chassis 

Thankyou both for your interest

When I started this project I had no intention of selling Dubs crane tank kits knowing full well it wasn't scale accurate and although not as complex as Sirapite to build, Dubsy has taken a fair amount of manual finessing, this is the sort of thing I'm happy to work as a one off with but I wouldn't normally want to put out onto the market as is.

That being said I have agreed to print a second for a friend and wouldn't be averse to producing some more as commissions ie: printed on request rather than readily available like my Hudswell diesels and 0-6-0ST Avonsides from Railway Mania.

If you are interested feel free to message me about it, but I would need to put in some time and effort to figure out how many prints it takes to produce a single kit to work out a price.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, RosiesBoss said:

G'day, Adam FW,

Nice work! Your model reminded me of a preserved example at the NSW Railway Museum, which I snapped in 2019:

1973046829_1034NSWRailwayMuseum29Jan2019c.JPG.94b1c856a59d818a4b14e0cb5d393a38.JPG

More information on this example may be found here: http://www.australiansteam.com/1034.htm

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Rob

Thanks Rob

I think I used a image of that loco during restoration with the crane sat on a pallet on the floor to figure out what the top of Dubsy's crane might look like

I do need to make some attachments to hang on the hook and I quite like the look of that square bucket in your photo

Speaking of Australian crane tanks, quite a few worked in Australia, I really fancied modelling one of the big 0-6-0 versions from Hawthorn Leslie, one of which is preserved at the Delhi Railway Museum in India but I think others worked in Australia and Ireland, being broad gauge locos they have a lot of presence which didn't translate well to oo gauge when I roughed one out in CAD, it looked very top heavy and unstable.

image.png.f7ab9794aa3e318ed5cc34516568d6ed.png

I may go back to it at some point as I think I stand of chance of fitting some RC gear into it which Dubsy with it's Dapol B4 chassis prevented

• Adam FW changed the title to Adam's Workbench - Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST
  • RMweb Gold

It’s been a long time since I last posted on here. Unfortunately a family member passed away not long after I finished dubsy so modelling hasn’t been much of a concern for me for quite a while.

So here’s a model I was working on months ago but kept quiet about. It was a test bed for me to try out different techniques for assembly and try to push my modelling (both virtual and practical) and 3D printing forwards a bit more. So compared to earlier models this features pipework with printed valves and connectors, separately fitted springs on the running board, more complex bent wire pieces and some other bits and pieces which may make an appearance on future kits

The loco is based on a pair of Manning Wardles, Cleobury and Burwarton with some detail differences vs the prototype to suit the Hornby B2 chassis and so I could better use it as a test bed and use existing parts

I’m chuffed with how it came out needing minimal sanding and it went together very nicely. The pipework out the front of the cab was incredibly fiddly though and I did break a couple of the 3d printed connectors

3A3C3686-0A46-4AE1-AE0C-287DA3EAF9E2.jpeg

E33F8398-B741-4A0C-81AF-11A03FA51CB6.jpeg

DAB053B6-D8A3-4471-8C14-B52B9F18E458.jpeg

0199CFBE-4ECE-4576-BE74-1B8FC45B7116.jpeg

EE7546F5-96A0-42AA-9328-77F6DD7DEB45.jpeg

Edited by Adam FW
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ruston said:

That looks well and is the best use of a Hornby B2 chassis that I've seen so far. Is it the same as Merevale?

Thanks,

From what I could figure out from photographs Burwarton is very similar but a bit shorter than Merevale/John Roberts with different cab proportions and a different running board. 

The piping I put on this model was carried over from a completely different loco that’s yet to be built so that’s one other difference. In the opposite direction the smokebox better matches merevale than burwarton as I had to make it wide enough to pass over the B2 chassis block

So it doesn’t quite match merevale but I like making variants of my designs so watch this space