RMweb

Fencing for a modern small country station

• RMweb Gold

I’m building a LCUT platform kit as the basis of my modern country station and I’m wondering what style of fencing to use?  I’d like to use the Ratio 426 LMS (MR) fencing but I’m not sure if it’s all straight sections or are there sections which can be used for the ramp.

I’ve got some Wills modern Palisade fencing with gates but I’m not sure if they are used on station’s or along the wayside to keep the oiks off the tracks.  I hope that all makes sense and all sensible replies would be welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I am planning to use the same I think (the LMS MR one is the one with diagonal planks, right?), and like you not sure what to do about the ramp section. I might go for the altarnative option of fence across the end of the platform at the top of the ramp, with some 3D printed anti-trespass boards, or maybe try and replicate a short section of fencing matching the ramp angle using plastic strip. I don't think generally the metal security fencing would be used at stations, unless there's a particular need (maybe a factory yard or something right behind the platform).

...Would you know it...

A few minutes after I posted this, I was looking for something else on the ScaleModelScenery site, and found that they do both straight and ramp section LMS style fencing:

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/lx294-oo-midland-railway---lms-platform-ramp-fencing-4-pieces----oo4mm176-8762-p.asp

Edited by JDW

Some years ago Lydney station had the old fencing replaced with the modern metal fencing, all the way along behind the platforms.  I must admit that I was a little surprised as when they erected it it was obviously made of galvanised components which should have reduced maintenance but they then went and painted it all black.