RMweb

Hi all,

I was attempting research for a layout set in the Lake District in the late 1967 to early 1968 period, noting down locomotive allocations and types. This really was 'Black Five' country by this time but a number of Standard types were still around as well as a fleet of incoming diesel locomotives. To find locomotive numbers I was going shed by shed, only to find that locomotives from some depots strayed far from home in their workings. Roughly speaking, a locomotive from Lostock could end up working the Windmere branch, or Carlisle locomotives could end up at Grange-over-Sands, when it seems to me than locomotives allocated to Barrow should have been working these areas.

Perhaps I need a break away from the screen. It's nice to have the information on here regardless.

Jim.

Edited by The Yard Shunt

Its worth checking the dates of photos against shed closure dates.  Even in earlier days it was not uncommon for a loco from one shed to be "Borrowed" by another shed for one or part of one of their duties.  Generalising this would normally be something like a 5MT and no one would take any notice until something unusual happened like the Clan turning up at Gloucester.

By 1967 there was both a lot of redundant locos and a shortage of serviceable locos as diesel availability was still pretty dire and Diesels were replacing steam on a one for one basis whereas the accountants believed one Diesel replaced three steam engines.   I expect they believed  there is a crock of gold at the end of every rainbow as well.  One "borrowing" situation I read of was Perth borrowing the Crewe Duchess off the sleeper for an Aberdeen or Glasgow out and back turn.  Crewe complained bitterly as Perth topped up the coal and Duchesses would not steam on Perth Coal and demanded they cease the practice!  Tank engines didn't normally roam far but when they did tended to stay there.  WR 16XX at Dingwall were the extreme example.

The late '67 Locoshed Book lists no steam at Barrow and the only diesels I've spotted are a few shunters - but I've not worked through every page with a fine-tooth comb ! ( The MetroVicks are listed at Upperby ). The most likely source of 'Fives' in the area would have been Carnforth which had a significant number of Standard 4s and a handful of 9Fs too. A very fluid situation at that date, of course ........

r17.06.jpg

• Like 1