Bachmann programming problem

Bryan Symes

I have recently purchased a Bachmann EZ-Dynamis with Pro Box and I am having trouble in that Having programmed the Hand set using a service track, when I transfer  the Loco to the main track , it functions OK but when a second loco is added  , again programmed with its own code, it responds   with the  code of first loco but only in one direction . ie if put into reverse, the  2nd loco continues forwards and only the 1st loco reverses.

I have tried clearing the programming from all loco's and starting from scratch but to no avail.

Can anyone help please

This is a classic BH weekend special, no dealer or manufacturer support available. Welcome to both RMweb and the wonderful world of model railway kit!

Best I can think of is perform a system reset on the DCC system. Then perform resets on both decoders. Then programme both decoders again, using different addresses and see if that eliminates the problem.

If not, phone Bachmann service on Tuesday.

You use the words "programmed with its own code".   Do you mean you have changed the address of the decoder (a numeric value) on the programming track (and ideally read it back again to confirm the change), or only entered a text string which describes a locomotive within the memory store inside the Dynamis ?  

The latter is not actually changing anything inside the locos, or on the track.  The text strings are just entries in the user-interface layer of the Dynamis.

When programming a loco on the programming track it is normal to hear (and often see) a little twitch, or sequence of twitches, in the loco as the motor moves a fraction to generate the "acknowledge" signal back to the system.  Lack of that twitch indicates nothing happening. 

Edited by Nigelcliffe
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Happy to try and help but not clear what you mean - 

4 hours ago, Bryan Symes said:

Having programmed the Hand set using a service track,

There is nothing to program on the hand set - can you clarify?

when I transfer  the Loco to the main track , it functions OK

How did you program it and what number did you allocate?

when a second loco is added  , again programmed with its own code,

Was this programmed same way as the first and what number did you allocate?

I have tried clearing the programming from all loco's

How did you do that? Different decoders have different methods, you need to know the decoder manufacturer to know how to reset them.

Sorry Jim ,I am new boy to DCC. I have a EZ-Dynamis. I have 3 loco's , 2 of which have had conversion from DC and one new loco from  Bachmann  DCC ready, into which I have fitted the appropriate chip.

I  programmed  3 loco's on service track and seemed to respond to instructions from hand held controller. 

I transferred  all loco's , one at a time , to main track, and they all responded correctly so long as only 1 loco was on the main track.

When a second loco was added, this is when the trouble starts. The second loco moves with the instruction to loco 1.

Any combination of loco's produces the same result.

Rgds

Bryan

It sounds like you haven't changed the loco address from the default, address 3.

Can you give us a blow by blow account of how you programmed each loco?

Regards,

John P

Edited by jpendle
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Bryan Symes said:

...I  programmed  3 loco's on service track and seemed to respond to instructions from hand held controller. 

I transferred  all loco's , one at a time , to main track, and they all responded correctly so long as only 1 loco was on the main track.

When a second loco was added, this is when the trouble starts. The second loco moves with the instruction to loco 1.

Any combination of loco's produces the same result...

As J Pendle, that's much clearer as a problem description. Either you haven't changed the decoder addresses from the supplied (default) 03 address to a unique address on each; or if you have attempted this, the DCC system has failed to write the new addresses.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Does sound as if the locos were not programmed, this is a copy of the Bachmann instructions - did you manage to follow these?

Using Service Track
[MENU] -- scroll to PROGRAM [ACCEPT]
 -- scroll to WRITE ADDR 0003
 ON SERVICETRACK [ACCEPT]
Screen shows
 WRITE ADDR LOC
 WRITE ADDR 3
[BKSP] to delete existing address
Use alphanumeric keys or joystick to enter new address of up to 4 digits
 CHANGE ADDR 0003
 WRITE ADDR 4468
Press [PROG] to write the new address
Both decoder and roster database are updated.

All the best

1. We cleared all address's  on the decoder.

2 We reset the hand set to factory setting.

3 Using Service track each loco was given a number 1,2,3 etc.plus name as per Dynamis users guide.

4 Each loco was tested individually on the service track and responded to forward/ reverse command from Hand set.

5 Exercise "4" above was repeated on the Main track. Results were as 4.

6 A 2nd loco was put on Mian track with loco 1. 

Loco 1 was selected on Hand set. Loco 1 moved forward and so did loco 2. Reverse was selected for loco1. Loco 1 reversed - loco 2 continued to move forward.

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Bryan Symes said:

Loco 1 was selected on Hand set. Loco 1 moved forward and so did loco 2. Reverse was selected for loco1. Loco 1 reversed - loco 2 continued to move forward.

While that is happening - can you try leave the locos running and switch from loco1 to loco2 on the handset. Is loco 2 showing any bars in the speed indicator or blank?

Edited by JimFin
Additional comment re CV8
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Bryan Symes said:

52 minutes ago, Bryan Symes said:

1. We cleared all address's  on the decoder.

Can you confirm how you did this? If you used the "delete loco" option on the handset, this just removes the loco from the Dynamis roster, it does not change the loco decoder programming. To reset the loco, you need to know which manufactures chip is installed (read CV 8 and look up the number you get from the NMRA table - https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/appendix_a_s-9_2_2.pdf ) and perform the reset instruction appropriate to that manufacturer.

Edited by JimFin