50 Years since Britannia Bridge fire

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mr_Tilt said:

The four lions are still there of course, they must weigh TONS, but they're almost impossible to see these days, which is a big pity as they're magnificent looking beasts.

From the road they're umpteen feet below you, from a train you can just get a glimpse of them as you round the curves onto the Bridge, and on foot it's a lengthy walk from the nearest parking spot.

I'm pleased they saved one section of the original Bridge so you can see how big it was, but once again you HAVE to want to see it as it's a long walk down there and a pretty steep climb back up again.

Britannia Lion.jpg

My late wife making friends with one of the lions.

Kit in a Bridge.jpg

Me posing IN the bridge section.

The size of the tubes looks huge. Hadd the bridge not burned and hoyhead freightliner depot had stayed open I don't think there would have been issues with 9'6" boxes 

From the rail head to the underside of the tube brackets they were 21 ft high. LOTS of room.

If anyone's interested I do an illustrated talk on the Bridge, how and why it was built, used, tested and re-tested, etc. I've only done it once, but it seemed to go down OK. 🙂

This being the 21st century it's a PowerPoint presentation of course so anyone wanting me to come along and do it will need a video projector thing to hook up to my laptop. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Mr_Tilt said:

From the rail head to the underside of the tube brackets they were 21 ft high. LOTS of room.

Would that have given sufficient clearance for OLE? 

Andi

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Would that have given sufficient clearance for OLE? 

Andi

Absolutely,  that's getting on for US double stack gauge 

• Agree 1