Backblinders

• RMweb Premium

Looking at photos it appears that not all signals were fitted with backblinders.

Did it depend on their location, i.e. whether the reverse could be seen from the signal box?

I am particularly considering lower quadrant BR(W)

Quite so. Their function is to give a positive visual indication to the signalman at night that the signal is at danger and that the lamp is working. Hence if the rear of the signal can't be seen from the box you don't need them.

Quite so. Their function is to give a positive visual indication to the signalman at night that the signal is at danger and that the lamp is working.

No - you get this whether the signal is fitted with a back blinder or not. The back blinder's function is to prove at night that the arm has responded to the lever and is now in the clear position, i.e. the blinder is now covering the back lens. If the signalman can't see the lamp and the lever is in the normal position, then the lamp must have failed (or the arm has jammed in the off position - not a very common occurrence, or some very localised fog....).

Archived