SECR C class livery late 20's early 30's

Moria15

• RMweb Gold

Greetings. 

I have an N gauge C class in Southern Black, but I think this is wartime (sunshine) lettering .

If I wanted to backdate it to Southern prior to WW2  to match my GWR stock,  am I correct in that it would still be black but with the Southern, a small letter, and a number on the tender and an oval plate on the cabside?

Also I saw a mention of green lining.. is this the case, and would this even notice in N gauge?

Thanks for helping a newbie to Southern loco liveries.

Graham

Edited by Moria15

Yes it's confusing when the manufacturers/retailers refer to 'Southern Black ...... if this is No.1294 with green-shaded 'SOUTHERN' on the tender and the number on the cabside it is, indeed, the wartime / post-war livery. The first S.R. livery would have been green-lined black with brass cabside plate and the number ( 294 ) on the tender - prefixed A for Ashford - beneath 'SOUTHERN' in an Expanded Egyptian script ...... from 1931 the 'A' would have been superseded by renumbering as 1294 and a few years later the "barely visible on photographs" lining would have been dispensed with. Needless to say, this is only a generalisation and changes across the fleet would have taken time : the forthcoming 'Southern Style' volume will give further details. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Yes it's confusing when the manufacturers/retailers refer to 'Southern Black ...... if this is No.1294 with green-shaded 'SOUTHERN' on the tender and the number on the cabside it is, indeed, the wartime / post-war livery. The first S.R. livery would have been green-lined black with brass cabside plate and the number ( 294 ) on the tender - prefixed A for Ashford - beneath 'SOUTHERN' in an Expanded Egyptian script ...... from 1931 the 'A' would have been superseded by renumbering as 1294 and a few years later the "barely visible on photographs" lining would have been dispensed with. Needless to say, this is only a generalisation and changes across the fleet would have taken time : the forthcoming 'Southern Style' volume will give further details. 

OK  so if i am trying to center on 30 - 35,  I can go black.. forget the lining and have the 1294 on the tender and no little A and in my world, it would have been a recent repaint.  Would certainly be closer for the period than the Sunshine lettering.

And I thought the GWR were complex in what they did :)

Perfect..  so time to get out the T-cut or similar :)

Thanks for the help.