Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

PeterLoader

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I ran the first 6 hours of my timetable which is based on the 1932 timetable. I managed to keep up to real time (I started at 13:00 and finished at 19:30 - not 05:00-11:30!) - helped by a few gaps in the schedule for replenishment of beer and sandwiches! As I've not built Kingswear itself yet and the Goodrington sidings are not large enough,

image.png.ee866bf4c16b77a6d21d13d58f22e09c.png

I've not added in the SR trains that come on my fictitious line from Crediton to Torbay via Moretonhamstead passing through Newton Abbot, hence the red line for 'SR to Torbay'. I didn't have room for the 10:07 departure for Kingswear either, but I did slot in an early morning departure for Moretonhamstead from the bay platform. The timetable was created before I had added that bay platform - note to self to add in the rest of those trains!

18 trains doesn't look like a huge amount to run in 6 hours but there is a fair bit of forming of trains at Newton Abbot and bringing engines off shed etc. I suspect that once the Moreton and SR trains are added into the timetable, plus the addition of Kingswear then things will get a bit hectic. As it was I was able to move my GoPro around and video several of the trains.

The Kingswear Bradford train is shown passing Dawlish hauled by 5076 Drysllwyn Castle. Guess who has discovered that you can crop videos in Vimeo! This means I can exclude the real life giants, their chairs and pictures etc from the video.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
18 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

My excuse would be snow blocking the line at Okehampton.

As per early post, my railway assumes that the Southern Railway made some progress from Crediton to Newton Abbot (with a scheme to reach Torbay that in reality failed parliamentary approval). It then secured limited running rights over the South Devon Railway to Paignton and Kingswear in exchange for not building a competitive route which would have been expensive and threatened the profitability of both companies.

This will probably mean (when I get to creating that part of the timetable) some local trains from Exmouth, a daily freight from Yeovil and a daily train from London. This will be a pullman (to compete with the Torquay Pullman which extended from its one year due to the competition from the Southern) using the Devon Belle coaches that I happen to have. There is also of course the annual Dawlish beer festival for which various local Devon breweries (as per Dapol limited edition vans that I picked up from an online auction) supply. This requires a dedicated SR train which runs round at Newton Abbot, collects  from Pete's brewery and trundles down the line to Dawlish.

As a result of all this, Newton Abbot got a slightly bigger station building (looks a bit like Exeter St Davids) and an additional platform on the up side. I'm thinking I might also add a goods shed at the western end of the station as I'm not modelling any of the actual goods shed or sidings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterLoader said:

As a result of all this, Newton Abbot got a slightly bigger station building (looks a bit like Exeter St Davids) and an additional platform on the up side.

Sounds good, does that include the bay platform for the Teign Valley / Moretonhampstead line?

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Sounds good, does that include the bay platform for the Teign Valley / Moretonhampstead line?

you can see it here... not got as far with the scenic side at Newton Abbot - there is rather a lot to do!

So the blue HST is on what would have been the up fast and in the additional platform. The DMU us in the Teign Valley bay. You can see the two up platforms that existed in reality with a Hall in one of them.

Southern trains come in on the Teign Valley line and could use the bay, any of the 3 up platforms or the nearest down platform, but they can't get to other down platform of the fast through line next to it.

20231014_181146.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, PeterLoader said:

There is also of course the annual Dawlish beer festival for which various local Devon breweries (as per Dapol limited edition vans that I picked up from an online auction) supply.

IIRC Bruce and Helen at Wessex Wagons were making some limited edition versions of Dapol vans, with nice "local" companies.  Not sure if they've retired or what , but I just found this.

Wessex Wagons is now part of Yeovil Railway Centre.

The current wagons issues is here

http://www.yeovilrailway.freeservers.com/300423.html

Including "Lakemans Brewery of Brixham"

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

IIRC Bruce and Helen at Wessex Wagons were making some limited edition versions of Dapol vans, with nice "local" companies.  Not sure if they've retired or what , but I just found this.

The current wagons issues is here

http://www.yeovilrailway.freeservers.com/300423.html

Including "Lakemans Brewery of Brixham"

You just cost me £41.90!

The Brixham one was just too much to resist and to spread the postage cost I bought the Bristol one too.

I thought I had more than one but seems like I only have one plus a GWR ale van - so that makes it 4. Many more than that and I'll have to run two trains as the Dawlish goods yard is so small!

Wife was asking re Christmas presents recently - problem with these is she finds out how much they cost!

Many thanks for the tip

• Funny 1

22 minutes ago, PeterLoader said:

the Dawlish goods yard is so small!

Despite getting a train from Dawlish every day for something like seven years (1966-73), I just can't recall what the goods yard looked like. I suppose that by the, the sidings had already been shortened, and from the down platform, all one would be able to see was the car park. Have you had much luck finding images of the goods sidings? The only decent one I've found from the 1960s is this one.

Cliff Essex says "Warship-Dawlish Dec 1966"

and one commenter says

The headcode is for an express to the North Eastern Region, and the position of the shadows places this as a morning view. Perhaps this is the 'Devonian' from Paignton to Bradford Forster Square, which called at Dawlish 10:35 in the 1966 timetable? It was the only scheduled train for the NER to do so of a morning.

That's a nice pic of the double-slip into the sidings.

Warship-Dawlish Dec 1966

That little ground frame lever (bottom right) had been there for about 40 years, judging by what's visible in this link:

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p879777052/hd60b6ef7#hd60b6ef7

"GWR Star class 4-6-0 No 4054 Princess Charlotte departs from Dawlish with an up express in 1926."

• Like 5

@PeterLoader - Just wondering if the track plans you kindly posted (June 17, 2020) suffered from the Great RMWeb WebServer Image Disaster? When their previous host failed to backup the images and it all went titsup. You don't by chance still have them available? I know what pain that can be - from when I had to edit some of my Disused Lines topics.

56 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

@PeterLoader - Just wondering if the track plans you kindly posted (June 17, 2020) suffered from the Great RMWeb WebServer Image Disaster? When their previous host failed to backup the images and it all went titsup. You don't by chance still have them available? I know what pain that can be - from when I had to edit some of my Disused Lines topics.

Might have refined it a little since I published it but you can see the aforementioned double-slip in Dawlish goods yard is included!

newtonabbot track plan.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Despite getting a train from Dawlish every day for something like seven years (1966-73), I just can't recall what the goods yard looked like. I suppose that by the, the sidings had already been shortened, and from the down platform, all one would be able to see was the car park. Have you had much luck finding images of the goods sidings? The only decent one I've found from the 1960s is this one.

Cliff Essex says "Warship-Dawlish Dec 1966"

and one commenter says

That's a nice pic of the double-slip into the sidings.

Warship-Dawlish Dec 1966

That little ground frame lever (bottom right) had been there for about 40 years, judging by what's visible in this link:

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p879777052/hd60b6ef7#hd60b6ef7

"GWR Star class 4-6-0 No 4054 Princess Charlotte departs from Dawlish with an up express in 1926."

Great photo!

If you go to http://dawlishinoo.co.uk/?p=323 and watch the video, about 1min 30sec in you go past Dawlish and can see the goods yard on the right!

I'll try and do a better photo but working late in advance of a few days off so will be next week probably

kingswear trackplan.png

• Like 2

Just noticed that on Google Street View we can "drive" right up to the northern end of the car park, and also get a close-up of the signal box before it was demolished.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.5812541,-3.4638229,3a,75y,173.14h,82.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZfd_Jm-gEaMpy-BjOBE7cw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&entry=ttu

Here's that 1920 map used for a trackplan. In this era, there's still a little wagon turntable with a little stub of a siding elmost into the cliff.

image.png.5f63b2c42390df20bc09a611c638ddb5.png

When we get to the 1960's, the sidings have been cut back to give way to car parking space, and the little wagon turntable has either been removed or disappeared.

image.png.76eaee9961e9cbf2f3a4db4ebbd29110.png

Does anyone know when the shed was demolished?

• Like 2

On 17/10/2023 at 13:29, KeithMacdonald said:

Does anyone know when the shed was demolished?

Historic England doesn't really know either.

The first railway station as Dawlish was opened 1847 as part of Brunel’s design for the line. It consisted of a timber building along the upside (west) platform with a goods shed beyond. In 1872 plans for a new station building were drawn up. In 1873 the timber station was destroyed by fire. The new station was opened on 12 April 1875 with a building on each platform connected by a footbridge at the southern end. The downside (east) platform range included a signal box at the northern end. This was demolished in the early C20 and replaced by a detached signal box to the north of the station. A set of stairs that led from the downside platform to the beach below have been bricked up. The upside platform range was extended to the north in the early C20, with further extension in the mid-C20. In 1937 the main span of the footbridge was rebuilt using serviceable girders removed from the original Park Royal and Twyford Abbey tube station in London. Subsequent alterations include the replacement of the original gable platform canopies in 1961; the demolition of the goods shed in the late C20; the demolition of the signal box in 2012; and the replacement of the main span of the footbridge the following year. In 2014 sections of the station platform surface were repaired following a major storm.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1096669?section=official-list-entry

• 5 months later...

Hello all.

It's been a little while since I posted although not as long as I had thought. Since the last post I have:

• adapted a Ratio signal box to fit on Dawlish platform - recent birthday present from my son
  • ballasted the east end of Newton Abbot and completed some scenic work there
  • moved my Z21 controllers to a new hifi rack which has released the old one for storing excess rolling stock (e.g. enabling me to switch between diesel and steam running sessions)

In that period, names.co.uk managed to delete the entire content of my  DawlishinOO website. Whilst annoying, I've redeveloped it into something (in my opinion) much better and with videos now held on YouTube rather than Vimeo.

It seems as though I never posted my drivers eye tour of Dawlish in OO on RMWeb, so here is a link: Drivers eye view tour of Dawlish in OO.

And below is the new signal box with a stray class 159 making a foray into Great Western territory, presumably with a train to Brighton. It had come from Newton Abbot, so you can get an idea of some of the scenic developments there from the second photo

159 at Dawlish.jpg

159 at Newton Abbot.jpg

• Like 11