Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter,

There's only one word to sum up those class 40's.... MAGNIFICENT :clapping_mini:

Thank you very much for those pics.

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee,

Glad you like them, I ment to say in my post to you the other day that I am hopefully coming over next September so might have to see if I can hunt down a few class 40s, I know 40012 is still about, good to hear 40135 is a runner.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

One question i have is. What make are your 45/1s. I've been tempted by a few and wondered if i could use a replica shell on a current Bachmann chassis?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

My finished Peaks are all running with the older Bachmann chassis, which is ok but not quite as good as the new ones. Llanbourne has 45 029, 45036, 45103, 45111, 45141 and 45150. 45036 and 45150 are Mainline bodys and 45111 is a Mainline body with A1 etched nose grilles, this didn't work as well as I had hoped so I didn't do any more.

I am not sure if the Replica or early Bachmann body would go on the new chassis. The problem with the Replica and early Bachmann is that the nose is a bit too low and to make a 45/1 you need to alter the roof which isn't too hard, raising the nose can be done and I have had a go, it's a bit of a job. Something to also remember is that 45/1s don't have any side steps each side at the boiler end were as the 45/0s still had them but plated over.

I have one of Bachmann's new Peaks in Green liv, the plan is to do another 45/1, the nose on the new models looks alot better but the nose grilles as all their releases has the old type, it's a shame as the early Bachmann model had the right ones. Roof mod and side steps will need to be sorted along with the nose grilles on the green one so chances are Bachmann will release a 45/1 when I have finished mine.

Hope thats is of some use for you.

Cheers Peter.

Peter,

If 40135 is running in Sept I'll let you know... perhaps you could make it to the East Lancs. It would be great to meet up.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

That would be great, I have never been to the East Lancs, I should be able to get away from the wife and kid for a few days so will see how I go, although the missus doesn't mind the steamers. She wants to do Scotland so it may be possible to call in on the way back. Early days yet though but worth keeping in mind.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

The derelict and overgrown track is very convincing and realistic.

It looks every bit as convincing close up. And I mean at a distance of just a few inches! THAT'S good modelling.

Peter

Have been meaning to let you have these for some time. 40012/97407/or212 in the area during your era. How many other locos have carried 3 different numbers at the same time ?

Passing Talacre with stone from Pen. on 21 Oct. 1985

post-1625-0-56769400-1321876940.jpg

Droping stone at Penyffordd on 5 Feb. 1986 during snow. When the cement works connection was being renewed, we put in a new ground frame.

post-1625-0-98624000-1321876998.jpg

6 weeks later and carrying the celebrity style livery on 21 March 1986, passing Llandudno Jct. box with emptys for Pen.

post-1625-0-61320000-1321876971.jpg

Cheers Merf.

Hi Merv,

I think I tipped that one (012 Talacre) out from Pen'mawr that day, the 40's(97's) made a few trips into North Wales that year 1985 as it was the Crewe re modelling.

That picture at the Junction was taken from the box window by the looks of it, im looking though the same window as I type and the only thing that is left 25 years on (bar 012) is 459A points & the trunking going under the Up Llandudno.

Great pictures by the way

Stu

Hi

Thanks for the info. I only wondered as i had some replica one left from years ago and having seen someone selling chassis for £30 i wondered if it was possible to do one with an intial minimum amount of work. I certainly didnt know the detail differences on that. If it were a 737-300 v a 737-700 series however i could tell the difference at a 100 paces. :D

Paul

Hi

Thanks for the info. I only wondered as i had some replica one left from years ago and having seen someone selling chassis for £30 i wondered if it was possible to do one with an intial minimum amount of work. I certainly didnt know the detail differences on that. If it were a 737-300 v a 737-700 series however i could tell the difference at a 100 paces. :D

Paul

Hi Paul,

No worries, not much good on planes myself, ok with WW2 fighters and bombers because I used to do the Airfix kits but thats about it.

Cheers Peter.

It looks every bit as convincing close up. And I mean at a distance of just a few inches! THAT'S good modelling.

Thanks Rick,

Just hope I don't get flooded out before it's finished. :locomotive:

Cheers Peter.

Looks like it has passed out after sitting in your trainers Peter! It is an ex-Redback, it is deceased, it is no more...

So, it's a blue redback ??? ;)

Keep the pics coming, Llanbourne is one of those all inspiring layouts :)