Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I would suggest the police officer was talking bollox through ignorance!

Looks like you are right HH. It’s a shame and somewhat worrying that the policeman concerned was doing so.

Dave

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

My neighbours who are otherwise very pleasant won't clear the pavement of snow in case they get sued. Read it in the "paper"  

When we lived in Germany we were told that you were legally obliged to clear the pavement outside your property of snow.

Dave

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

When we lived in Germany we were told that you were legally obliged to clear the pavement outside your property of snow.

Dave

I think if you see an accident you are obliged to offer help and not just drive past.  

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Poor Dave, 

Wildenrath's  09/27.  All 2468 metres of it.

On his own......

With a paintbrush.....

Cue sad violin music.

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I suspect increasing numbers of people here think they might need those assets in early course!

Another general strike yesterday, and again next Thursday, when I am due to travel to England. So I have instead booked to travel Wednesday. At a cost in excess of £250. Sigh. 

We had our Ferries cancelled both ways.  Though we have got our ferry fares back we are still out of pocket, plus the hassle factor. I won't know what we've spent in motorway tolls for a few weeks though. 

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I would suggest the know how much we'veolice officer was talking bollox through ignorance!

See here for a reasonable explanation.

https://firstaidtrainingcooperative.co.uk/will-i-be-sued-for-doing-first-aid/

I was always glad when I was dealing with a bump, if someone said the magic words, "I'm a nurse can I help"  I could then get on with dealing with it. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

Had rather sleepless night. Got an email from MrsID saying she messed up her flight reservation back from Mehico and she was returning on Sunday rather than Saturday.

Of course this was complete baloney (I suspect tequila had something to do with it) but I tried every conceivable way to contact her but to no avail. She did get back to me this morning and it's all sorted now but the whole episode was extremely frustrating.

• Friendly/supportive 13

5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I would suggest the police officer was talking bollox through ignorance!

See here for a reasonable explanation.

https://firstaidtrainingcooperative.co.uk/will-i-be-sued-for-doing-first-aid/

I was going to ask if there was a ‘Good Samaritan’ law in the UK, but I see from that link that there is not.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Varies by state here but typically you are required to remove snow from the sidewalk (not to be confused with the pavement 🙂)

https://www.rentecdirect.com/blog/the-complete-guide-to-snow-removal-laws-by-state/

We live on what is technically a lane, rather than a street. Being a lane, it does not have sidewalks, so I have nothing to shovel (other than a driveway that slopes at about 1in 5).

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

And it’s a fixed price fee of around $1750 although plus 2% if the sale price exceeds $750k.

I presume that’s 2% of the amount of the sale price over $750K, and not of the whole price?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I have spent the day travelling the highways of Poland recording various bits of railway nfrastructure for posterity and trains  when they appeared. 

The motorway discipline in quite good here and unless they are doing 140 - 160kph they move back to the right.

Too many trucks about if you are making good progress to keep moving past the middle lane. 

On the lesser roads the frequent speed limit changes for the slightest hazard generally get ignored.

90 down to 50 due to a slight bend for instance

Limits in towns are pretty well observed. 

I have been down some roads today that had warnings about the surface condition and they were right. 

The wheels met the suspension  coming the other way and it's not often you can get sea sick in  a car. 

I was in one town following the sat nav and it suggested an unpaved road. OK fair enough, it was a well maintained gravel that gave way to some tarmac, that gave way to more gravel

Nothing unusual out here

When the gravel got sandier with added pine comes and twigs with long grass in the centre line and still 3 miles to the main road   I decided discretion was required and did a quick turn round to find another way. 

It is definitely a country where you need your wits about you on the roads. 

The Poles don't hang around. Some are positively suicidal and sometimes it is hard to tell if those headlights coming towards you are on your side or not.

But in general if you drive your own drive and let the others do their thing, make allowances and room for them,  you'll be fine.  

Finally, pedestrian crossings are also observed in general. Those stripes on the road are where it is recommended to cross.

You have to wait for the traffic to stop for you, ( which it does usually) not expect it to stop just cos you are there. 

Andy

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I was always glad when I was dealing with a bump, if someone said the magic words, "I'm a nurse can I help"  I could then get on with dealing with it. 

I must admit that in all other cases when we have stopped at the scene of an accident the police seemed quite happy for Jill to render first aid; it was just on that one occasion that bad advice was given but it did mean that I was always a bit concerned that things could go pear shaped. For instance, we once stopped when we saw a van go upside down into a ditch and I helped to get the driver out but he died and I was somewhat concerned when taking the witness stand at the inquest but I needn't have worried as the chap's family came up to me afterwards and thanked me for trying to save him.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

My neighbours who are otherwise very pleasant won't clear the pavement of snow in case they get sued. Read it in the "paper"  

I do remember someone telling me that if you leave the snow you can't be blamed if someone falls over on it whereas if you clear most of the snow from the pavement but leave enough to get compressed into ice and someone then slips and is injured you can be sued. I can't remember where they got the information but I've never heard it before or since so I suspect it may be an urban myth or similar.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Two social workers are walking along the road when they find a  badly injured individual lying in the road.  Obviously the victim of a vicious assault.

'Goodness!' says SW1 to SW2. " Whoever did this needs help!'

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 15

Been walking along part of the Cotswold Way, immediately N of Bath. Wonderful panoramic views of 30+ Km. To the South East (there was a pointer to Westbury White Horse), King Alfred's Tower (nr Bruton) to the S, S Wales (past Cardiff), the Brecons, round to the Malverns. And we saw the Horse Racing close up. Sorry no pictures, too panoramic    

• Like 11

I must only treat within my scope of practice when I'm on duty.  The scope does vary depending whether the duty is with SJA (eg Lord's) or the LAS.  But I have a duty of care whether I'm on duty or just come across an incident.  In fact anyone treating a patient has a duty of case, just that I (and Jill) are expected to apply our skills and knowledge.  Bill

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, bbishop said:

I must only treat within my scope of practice when I'm on duty.  The scope does vary depending whether the duty is with SJA (eg Lord's) or the LAS.  But I have a duty of care whether I'm on duty or just come across an incident.  In fact anyone treating a patient has a duty of case, just that I (and Jill) are expected to apply our skills and knowledge.  Bill

Out of interest, Bill, why does the scope vary depending on who the duty is with?

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Tomorrow sees the visit to the kitchen showroom to find out how many modelling tokens Jill is proposing to spend to revamp the kitchen that a short while ago just needed new work tops. I've a feeling that a considerable amount of domestic friction may ensue.

Wish me luck.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 16

11 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Out of interest, Bill, why does the scope vary depending on who the duty is with?

Dave

The LAS only allow me to administer oxygen and entonox (the latter under direct supervision).  SJA allow me to administer "over the counter" drugs (eg aspirin, paracetamol, etc).  I can't carry these drugs but must take them from a locked cabinet and there is a lot of paperwork to fill in!

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Tomorrow sees the visit to the kitchen showroom to find out how many modelling tokens Jill is proposing to spend to revamp the kitchen that a short while ago just needed new work tops. I've a feeling that a considerable amount of domestic friction may ensue.

Wish me luck.

Dave

Of course you could try playing it the other way. Demand you only get the very best of everything and a bunch of bits you can't possibly use.

When you get the insane quotation your response is "Well there goes the World Cruise I had planned as a surprise on our anniversary."

Mind you that could possibly backfire so mind how you go.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 10

10 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Good luck  DH. 

Andy

Luck has nothing to do with it. What is required is a strategic plan 😀

Oh, and granite is radioactive. It's worth a shot anyway.

Edited by AndyID
Moinfo
  • Like 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1