Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

I have three "pull along" suitcases - small, large, enormous.  The size is determined by what I may bring back, because Spur Null isn't small and can be very well packed!

Preferred travel clothing is shirts with a top pocket (the safest place to keep key documentation), cargo shorts or trousers (the knee pockets are useful) and a gilet.  The latter is actually normal wear, one side pocket for handy and glasses case and the other for an emergency medical kit (gloves, masks, Clinell wipes and pulseox).  

Cold and wet in my corner of London, the weather that I really hate, so I'm indoors today.  I may catalogue my N gauge stock for sale.  I'm downsizing to a tram layout that I shall name Pastor Bonhoeffer Park.  Dave F knows about this as he gave me some catenary posts that will be used when the trams traverse the park.

Bis bald Bill

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

I used to pack my own, until the holiday I forgot to take a waterproof coat - usually thrown in the back of the car last thing before leaving, due to Mrs NHN was hassling me as we were 'late' - as in 15 minutes early. Thenceforth I wasn't allowed such a high level role' I never heard the last of this until some years later when camping in the van when she forgot her socks - all of them - and first stop was in Crianlarich where it was -4c overnight due to unseasonal snow. Doesn't get mentioned now.

I once forgot to pack any pants. 

Don't know how. 

Still.i was OK for at least 4 days and then had to go shopping.

Andy

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Holiday Clothes and Luggage?

As for rucksacks: can’t abide them. Uncomfortable to wear and (frequently) deeply antisocial (just ask anyone who regularly went to Warley about rucksacks)

I take your point Flavio but it's horses for courses with me.  A good frame rucksack with padded hip belt allows me to carry a large load with comfort along long corridors etc and leaves my hands free as I mentioned.  I have also suffered from rucksack wearers at Warley but hopefully I don't have the unpleasant hygiene habits that seem to go with them.  I've had the said rucksack since 1976 and am loath to part with it. I bought a well made one and it has done me well. 

@Happy Hippo, very sorry to hear your news. Thoughts etc are with you and yours.

Jamie

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A yuk day for me today. I had realised that the filing cabinet in the study and my part of the built-in wardrobe needed attention as both were crammed with stuff that had to be sorted and much reduced (actually the wardrobe space is rather small since most of it plus the stand alone wardrobes in the spare bedrooms are taken up with Jill's 'necessary' clothes 😏). It was my intention to sort the filing cabinet first then tackle the wardrobe but I had severely underestimated the time the first would require as it had been quite a long time since it was last done; I also didn't allow for the, "When you've got five minutes," jobs that would be thrown into the mix so I didn't finish until late this afternoon. That leaves burning the papers with financial and/or personal details on and the wardrobe to tackle tomorrow. Pah! just about sums it up.

Commiserations to HH.

Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

As far as packing is concerned, that is normally my job. Jill leaves her clothes mountain on the bed and I pack it all into a jinormous case, a smaller case and her carry-on bag for a two week holiday with reductions commensurate with a shorter sojourn.  Then I pack my necessaria into a carry-on bag plus a suit bag if required. By packing Jill's stuff I can generally detect whether she has forgotten anything that really is essential. 

Dave

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

jinormous

My instinct would be to spell that "ginormous" like "ginger" though I suppose since it's Jill's mountain perhaps it's a subconscious run-in on your part. If she was Gill it would be different.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

Aditi read a magazine article about how to pack for a holiday. I then had to repack it to get it into fewer cases. Going on cruises and driving our own car to the port doesn’t encourage efficient packing. If we didn’t go on cruises with dress codes we could take a lot less stuff. Although we try to take enough clothing to not need to use the ships laundrettes, I suppose we could take less.  When we went to Canada and back,by ship we were away for a month and everything was fine, but I am sure we took the same number of cases for a few weeks away. We must be capable of travelling lighter as we went to Paris for a week using Eurostar with a couple of small cases. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

My instinct would be to spell that "ginormous" like "ginger" though I suppose since it's Jill's mountain perhaps it's a subconscious run-in on your part. If she was Gill it would be different.

Actually it was a typo. I meant to type 'ginormous' but my uneducated finger hit h instead of g. When  I went to correct it I obviously made it even worse by hitting j - well, it is next to h after all, as is g - and since I had to answer a summons from the management I didn't check before sending. And to think I'm starting to make some inside valve gear!

Dave 

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Going on cruises and driving our own car to the port doesn’t encourage efficient packing.  

We've just learned that a friend who is going on the same cruise as us is taking three large suitcases!

Davei

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

The long six-month cruise that I went on, I had almost everything in a large green bag and a small travel bag. And everything met the "dress codes".

Edited by J. S. Bach
To edit the post
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Actually it was a typo. I meant to type 'ginormous' but my uneducated finger hit h instead of g. When  I went to correct it I obviously made it even worse by hitting j - well, it is next to h after all, as is g - and since I had to answer a summons from the management I didn't check before sending. And to think I'm starting to make some inside valve gear!

Dave 

Oh what a Joy...

Some might have to think about that🤣

• Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

We've just learned that a friend who is going on the same cruise as us is taking three large suitcases!

Davei

Is that 3 for,one person? It doesn’t seem unusual. On the last night of cruises you (usually) have to leave your cases outside your cabin, leaving just your carry on (it will be carry off then) for your overnight stuff. Five or six cases per cabin are not uncommon. My cousin and her husband have just returned from a fortnight far East cruise with one suitcase each. They didn’t obviously need big coats and no formal evening wear either. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Hroth said:

Oh yes, the "old toothbrush".

Also useful for cleaning moss out of car window seals...

And paint stripping models.

• Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I used to pack my own, until the holiday I forgot to take a waterproof coat - 

I'm hoping that where I'm headed for, a waterproof garment is not a requisite....

• Like 11
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

As far as packing is concerned, that is normally my job. Jill leaves her clothes mountain on the bed and I pack it all into a jinormous case, a smaller case and her carry-on bag for a two week holiday with reductions commensurate with a shorter sojourn.  Then I pack my necessaria into a carry-on bag plus a suit bag if required. By packing Jill's stuff I can generally detect whether she has forgotten anything that really is essential. 

Dave

Likewise - I do the outward [*] packing at NB Towers. 

Mrs NB is responsible for tickets/money/passports.

I usually distribute a few items of each other's clothing between the two cases in the event of one going AWOL on the outward leg as well as having the ability to pack stuff in smaller spaces more efficiently.

However, a further consideration for the upcoming trip is the increasing number of items that have been delivered to NB Towers, courtesy of Junior NB and the large south American river company. Apparently, we have been tasked with mule duties for stuff that isn't readily/cheaply available in UAE. A warning message was issued on the family Whatsapp group earlier to the effect of "no more deliveries, or they get left behind"

[*] "Although I will carry it, you're responsible for packing your own case on the way home and if your stuff doesn't fit, don't come looking at me and my half-empty case"

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know how we're going to make out now that we've sold the 30' motor home.  That had lots of storage room.

I think that for our first 3-week overseas holiday we had two large suitcases and a carry on.  They were a little large for British Railways.

We have been shrinking our stuff this week month. Dayle has decided that our heirs will have little interest in our scrapbooks and photo collections. We also have bits from 3 "households" -- a trailer, the motorhome, and our house. 

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BR60103 said:

...snip... Dayle has decided that our heirs will have little interest in our scrapbooks and photo collections. ...snip..

Ummm, that just may be a bad (or wrong) decision. I thoroughly enjoyed my parents photo albums and still have them.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, SM42 said:

I once forgot to pack any pants. 

Don't know how. 

Still.i was OK for at least 4 days and then had to go shopping.

Andy

I hope that you were using “pants” in the American sense, i.e. trousers….

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5