RMweb

Suitable Boxfiles

• RMweb Gold

With my Dad now residing in a care home I decided that a boxfile layout would be an ideal way to let him still enjoy model railways and that the Scalescene canal wharf micro layout would be ideal. I plan a three box layout, traverser to the left, Scalescene in the middle and a pivoted  sector plate to the right. Simple, yes? No.

Obtaining a basic boxfile that matched the dimensions required for the Scalescene element and without these new-fangled plastic or metal ends was, to say the least, troublesome. Anyhow, I did eventually find somebody who was able to supply them, it took a while but they arrived and progress has started.

The supplier knew what I wanted the boxfile for and has now advised that the company that manufactures most boxfiles in the UK will be streamlining  its range and that the traditional boxfile will be no more.

It seems that if you are going to want a basic boxfile in the future, you had better order one sooner, rather than later. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 07/07/2020 at 10:29, Roy Langridge said:

With my Dad now residing in a care home I decided that a boxfile layout would be an ideal way to let him still enjoy model railways and that the Scalescene canal wharf micro layout would be ideal. I plan a three box layout, traverser to the left, Scalescene in the middle and a pivoted  sector plate to the right. Simple, yes? No.

Obtaining a basic boxfile that matched the dimensions required for the Scalescene element and without these new-fangled plastic or metal ends was, to say the least, troublesome. Anyhow, I did eventually find somebody who was able to supply them, it took a while but they arrived and progress has started.

The supplier knew what I wanted the boxfile for and has now advised that the company that manufactures most boxfiles in the UK will be streamlining  its range and that the traditional boxfile will be no more.

It seems that if you are going to want a basic boxfile in the future, you had better order one sooner, rather than later. 

Roy

You don't say how active your dad is, but I would have though a layout in the wrapping paper Box from the Really Useful Box Co, if you have the space might be a better option. This would be easier for him and others to set up. I would also consider an arrangement which includes a simple shuttle,I find  just sitting and watching a train moving is very  relaxing.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, d&h said:

You don't say how active your dad is, but I would have though a layout in the wrapping paper Box from the Really Useful Box Co, if you have the space might be a better option. This would be easier for him and others to set up. I would also consider an arrangement which includes a simple shuttle,I find  just sitting and watching a train moving is very  relaxing.

Thanks d&h.

He is not at all mobile anymore so this is more something for me to use when I am with him than for him to use himself. I will take a look at the wrapping paper box. The Really Useful Box Co are one of my favourites!

Roy