Bachmann 4TC

JerseyJon

I've just fitted an ESU FX4 decoder to my 4-TC and the lights at the front and the back come on, and can be independently switched off but I can't get the coach interior to respond to any of the functions? 

As far as I can gather the FX4 is a 6-fn decoder - does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

JJ

• RMweb Gold

4TC needs Aux 3 and 4 to be logic level functions on the decoder. ESU website/manual claims the 21pin FX4 can switch between full power and logic level but doesn't seem to actually say how to do it.

Yes, all in the correct order. I think kaput may have hit the nail on the head.

unfortunately my controller (zephyr) doesn’t deal with Cv’s above 257 and the only other controller I have access to is an ECoS which won’t either!

i might see if if can sort it via JMRI decoder pro but that is a whole new level of DCC for me!

guess the passengers will have to sit in the dark!

54 minutes ago, JerseyJon said:

i might see if if can sort it via JMRI decoder pro but that is a whole new level of DCC for me!

JMRI is a lot easier than programming with a throttle & will cost you no more than a cable suitable for connecting PC/Mac/Pi to your control system, but having a computer in the right place may not be convenient for many.

It will only act like a handset, so if your system cannot access CVs above 257, then JMRI may not be able to either.

The alternative is a Sprog for programming. I have never used one but it is a small control system with limited current output & no throttle, which makes it particularly suitable for programming with JMRI.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, JerseyJon said:

Thanks Pete. My layout is controlled by a MERG unit, not sure if they go to 257+.   Will look into the SPROG.

my test track is connected to the zephyr!

Hi,

You could try programming the decoder on the main so you can see if the MERG command station deals with higher CV numbers.

Regards

Nick

• 3 years later...