Russian mega mover

mpb56125

Wow!  Did that Russian shuttle ever fly?

cheers

Ben A.

There were a few made Ben; one made a couple of unmanned orbits. The one below, which currently resides at Speyer Technical Museum in Germany was used for glide path tests. Stumbled across it last summer!

Buran.jpg

Buran was far superior to the US shuttle, it only flew once into space however, on an unmaned flight. Note, it was completely remote controlled - emphasising how far above the US one it was!

Sadly one of them ended up cut in half as a burger bar in Moscow, another was destroyed when its delapidated hanger collapsed onto it

David

Guest Max Stafford

I suppose much had been learned by the Soviet design bureau from observation of the NASA STS (in those days, not always by legal means ;) ) This would have aided the design of a more developed shuttle. With the STS programme now running quickly down, perhaps a joint ESA/RSA revival of this design with even more development might be feasible.

the locomotives are impressive too. There are two designs on show here. One of them is the Kolomna M62 as widely exported to erstwhile Soviet client states, but in a paired single-cab version. The slow-speed control and synchronisation of all four locos must have taken a bit of organising! While not as noisy as the SRBs on Buran, those engines would have sounded pretty hellfire on moving off! B)

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

In 1978 I saw an exhibition about the soviet space program when I was visiting Toronto. I have memories that all the rocket launch platforms were towed by multiple locomotives like this As It's now over 30 years ago I can't be sure I think they were pretty impressive models of the launch platfroms and rockets in HO scale. I may even have some slides of tfhe models and will try and dig them out and scan them.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

the locomotives are impressive too. There are two designs on show here. One of them is the Kolomna M62 as widely exported to erstwhile Soviet client states, but in a paired single-cab version.

Yes, the Russians also built double section M62s, and even triple section ones, called 2M62 and 3M62 respectively. The older type with the rounded cab fronts seen in these photos would appear to be the TE3 class which was first built in 1953.

There also was a special version of the M62 dedicated to hauling ballistic missile launch trains, called DM62. Far as I know, these were fitted with MU controls - the missile trains having had two engines in a front-and-back lashup. Also, these trains included tank wagons to allow refuelling the locomotives en route. The locos were eventually rebuilt into standard M62s when strategic disarmament treaties led to their withdrawal.

Wow! Did that Russian shuttle ever fly?

cheers

Ben A.

There's a lot of public domain information about it now. It's quite a fascinating story. There's a little about it on Wikipedia, with some stunning photos. There's also information on the program.

Lots of good photos on this website (Russian Space) as well.

It's interesting that the Buran program has been cited as the basis of a potential ESA-Russian shuttle to replace the American one before now, although Russian, American and European space agencies seem to be moving back towards single-use launchers with more easily reusable capsules now.

I think the Buran programme is extremely interesting. I doubt it will ever fly again but I have been lead to believe that the second Orbiter is still in a reasonable state and is above 90% complete. However I believe that it is currently owned by Kazakhstan which means the two country's in the world with space shuttle fleets are the USA and Kazakhstan. The hanger that collapsed on the one complete orbiter is now in the process of being rebuilt.

The one that is in Gorky Park (I believe it has been used as a Burger Bar at some point although some sources differ) is part of an amusement park with armchairs inside that are meant to simulate some sort of launch. The one in Germany I believe was touring the world when it got repossessed in Bahrain then was sold in 2008 to the German Museum.

One of the key things that the Russians always cited as being a distinct advantage over the American shuttle was its ability to move horizontally to the launchpad. I would imagine this allowed it to be moved quicker and easier than the US shuttle.

There was a rumour doing the rounds that the second Antonov 225 was being completed (these are the largest aircraft in the world) due to the heavy demand for aircraft with the ability to carry heavy loads. However the pictures I have seen have indicated that work on the airframe was far from complete and that the work has now ceased.

which means the two country's in the world with space shuttle fleets are the USA and Kazakhstan.

To be relaunched as Burat?

The one in Germany I believe was touring the world when it got repossessed in Bahrain then was sold in 2008 to the German Museum.

Yes, a rather large piece of 'lost property'. The story goes that the people who took it to Bahrain couldn't be traced (sleeping with the fishskis?); once it was established that no-one would be coming forward to pay the rather large storage fee the museum was then able to agree a purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

Found the following pictures of an out of gauge load.

As there are no structures en route this would not be an out of gauge load.

Something like this might make a an interesting operational diaorama. Could go surreal and use a pair of steam locos.

When in Poland the other year I saw and photographed one of the M62's it was quite a noisy clag monster.

There were two spaceworthy shuttles built, OK-1K1 Buran ('Snowstorm') and OK-1K2 Ptichka ('Little Bird'). Only Buran flew in space in 1988. Ptichka was about 97% complete when the program was cancelled. There were three more unnamed shuttles of slightly different design (OK-2K1 to 2K3) between 30-50% complete.

Buran was destroyed when the building collapsed in 2002. Ptichka is now the property of Kazakhstan and stored at Baikonur. The incomplete 2K1 is stored beside it. 2K2 was partly dismantled and the remains are in a factory near Moscow. 2K3 was dismantled.

The Buran Analog BTS-002 was a training unit designed for atmospheric flight with bolted on jet engines. It could take off on its own (something NASA's Enterprise couldn't do) then glide in for pilot training. This is the one in the Technikmuseum Speyer.

The one in Gorky Park is a static test unit used for vibration and heating tests. There are 4 other static test units in storage, two at Baikonur, one in the Energia factory and one at the Roscosmos test centre.

Cheers

David

Archived