Lenz error message LH100

Diesel Bob

Hi. I have a Lenz set 100 DCC controller and I get LH100 error message on the handset  and cannot do anything about it. I have tried a different LH100 handset and I keep getting the same message so the problem must be with the LZV100 command station. Has anyone got any ideas how to reset this. There is no mention of error LH100 in the Lenz manual.

LH100 showing on the handset means it can't communicate with the command station.

The usual fault is a break in one or more of the wire cores in the handset lead, usually close to the base of the handset.

If you wiggle the lead around the base of the handset and the display changes this indicates a break in the wire.

I normally just shorten the lead by a couple of inches at the handset end and the fault is sorted.

Over the years the hansets BMRG use on Mostyn have taken a beating at exhibitions. Between us we have 16 LH100s and each has needed lead repairs many times. Early on I concluded that the original lead was not good enough, especially the early ones without the moulded plugs.

I found that MIDI leads, used to connect musical equipment, use the same 5 pin DIN plugs as the LH100s and can be bought cheaply. I have used this seller for a few years: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Pin-Din-Midi-Cable-2m-3m-5m-6m-Keyboard-Synth-Effects-Quality-Audio-Lead/281743944669?hash=item41993f6bdd:g:TvQAAOSw8bpcSG7j.

They are well made with a nice moulded plug.

I buy 6 metre MIDI leads and cut them in half, giving 2x 3 metre handset leads.

You need to check with a multimeter to verify the pin assignments, then tin the wires and solder the new lead to the handset pcb in the following way:

Lenz DIN plug pin assignments

A similar diagram can be found in the LZV100 user manual.

The midi leads I use are slightly thicker than the originals so, to stop the case pinching the lead, I use a small round file to enlarge the hole slightly .

I also add a small zip tie just inside the case to limit movement.

Edited by Gavin Liddiard
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Given that the handset lights up it must be getting power, therefore the L and M (God and +12v) connections are probably good, therefore check the A and B (Rs485 + and -) connections particularly.

However as the OP says that a different hand set has been tried then it probably is not a handset issue or its cable including the Din plug. If the handset is being plugged directly into the LZV100 then the problem must be internal to the LZV100, possibly just a loose wire but could also be a problem with the circuit board. If the handset is being plugged into anything else e.g. an LA152 Universal Xpressnet Adapter the check the wiring between that and the LZV100.

I would suggest a call to A and H models, www.aandhmodels.co.uk who are the UK distributors who can advise if the unit needs repairs.

To reset the LZV100 press Clr twice (selects loco 0, analog) and then F4 20 times, power the LZV100 off for 2 minutes and then try again, but of course you need a working handset to do this.

It's not unheard of for multiple LH100s to have bad leads. At Bristol show last year with Mostyn I had 6 handsets on the maintenance table and all needed cable repairs (some of the operators are Neandertals).

That said I hadn't noticed the OPs "multiple handset" comment. The command station/LA152 sockets can fail by getting sloppy over time and I have replaced two, one on a LZ100 and one on LA152. I found some of the correct panel mount sockets here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIRSCHMANN-MAB-5-SH-SOCKET-DIN-PCB-5PIN/181886050894?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649.

You do need a good solder sucker to remove the old sockets but its not difficult to do.