Problem with Hornby XC SD TCC Coaches

adamvb

Hi everyone - I just wanted to post about Hornbys XC Sliding Door MK3's - I've seen various comments on RMWeb etc about issues with the paint finish/decals, and wheelset issues but so far I've not seen anyone mention the TCC carriage in the XC sets (R4941 and R4941A) - I've had 5 of these from various retailers and each time they have suffered from a warped body around the point of the plated over windows (and more obvious along that side too).

I've been in touch with Hornby who are of the opinion its not a widespread issue, but it seems odd I've had 5 of them now. Has anyone else got this - if you have and you haven't noticed then sorry for brining it to your attention - once I saw it I can't ignore it - especially in a rake with 6 other straight ones! It seems to be the same on the Hattons and Rails of Sheffield pages examples too (red lines added for reference). Has anyone else got this on theirs?

Cheers

Adam

R4941.jpg.75639b4d764a207c97bc8c0deaff0fd6.jpgr4941.IMG_1332.jpg.4cb559cb4070bd18da5227252cd6d827.jpg

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

That's not good. Is it just the bottom edge, or is the roof line similarly banana shaped?

It is - it drops down at that end. Weirdly out of so many examples I've not had a straight one - but according to a few members of a Facebook group theres are all fine - would be good to know what other people on here have experienced with them. Sods law just like the Virgin MK3a's from a couple of years back it would have to be the buffet and not a TS!

Ads

23 minutes ago, 43055 said:

That is not good. Just checked mine which I got from rails and it looks ok to me. I have R4941 - 45001.

Thanks for checking and letting me know - we've both got the same one. It's increasingly looking as if I've been really unlucky. I might pop down to Rails during the week and ask them to get a couple out to check. When I run a ruler on mine under the two yellow mounting points on the bottom of the body the outer ends of the footsteps are touching the ruler and the inner ends are a good couple of mm higher.

What's more baffling is that I've had them from The Model Centre, Rails, Derails, Gaugemaster, Roxley Models and AGR and they've all been the same!

7 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Is your rule straight? Plastic rules are notoriously bad.

For example, I have two here and over 300mm, they read 2.5mm different.

Roy

To be fair I tested with a steel rule, but I wasn't confident enough to one hand hold it whilst trying to take the photo incase I marked the paintwork! Its the same with the steel one, and my plastic ruler is true in line with the steel rule. In person its a really obvious warp - just looking at the coach you can see the whole body sharply droop at the roof vent point.

Probably the mold was not at the right temperature - normally when it's just starting to be run. The body does not drop out of the tool cleanly and the slight friction pulls on the outer ends of a long shape... hence the banana shape.

Plastic has a memory - once it cools it will try try to retain it's shape when warm,

Bit unlucky as once the mold is running at temperature it would be fine.

• Like 1

On 22/07/2020 at 20:45, GWRtrainman said:

Probably the mold was not at the right temperature - normally when it's just starting to be run. The body does not drop out of the tool cleanly and the slight friction pulls on the outer ends of a long shape... hence the banana shape.

Plastic has a memory - once it cools it will try try to retain it's shape when warm,

Bit unlucky as once the mold is running at temperature it would be fine.

That's interesting - I'll be honest I know nothing of the process so it's interesting to get an insight.

I'm now up to 10 retailers and counting whose stock is all the same - lets hope Hornby re-run the TCC!