Preserved SR EMUs

Paul2410

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Paul2410 said:

Thanks.  The NYMR has a limited Safety Case (or whatever it's called at the moment) to run between Battersby (where there is a run round loop) and Whitby via Grosmont (NR).  Trains can run up to relevant line speed limits if they are Mk1/2s, but any other stock (if approved) would probably be limited to the "heritage railway" limit of 25mph.  The Gresley teaks are also fitted with Pullman-style gangways and buckeye couplers, like BR stock, whereas LMS and GWR stock aren't.

All BR-built EMU vehicles from the mid-1950s onwards had buckeye couplers and rubbing plates throughout, so are equivalent to Mk1s and Mk2s.  Earlier EMUs were mainly screw-coupled between units or had single-buffer and three-link coupler within units, which would not prevent telescoping in the event of a collision (like Cannon Street involving an SR Bulleid-Design 4EPB unit).  All first generation DMU vehicles were screw-coupled.  It was only the SR DEMUs which had buckeyes throughout.

Paul Raven-Hill, Chairman, TDMRC.

Thanks Paul,

The LNER were ahead of the pack with their coupling method, and behind with the bodies - although my biased opinion is the teak panelled coaches are some of the finest ever built.

• Like 1

“I just hope I can somehow get a fund raiser going in order to raise the necessary money to purchase at least 1 hopefully 2 or 3 units before they are all purchased for preservation or spares“

Might it not be wiser to pool resources with other individuals/groups, and everybody focus on preserving one unit adequately, than risk all rotting away due to dispersion of resources? ‘The people of Liverpool’ might welcome a bit of help with the one that been dumped-on/given-to them, for instance ....... how about all the gricers form a support group for that?

TBH, I struggle a bit to understand what anybody would do with one such train, let alone several - my thinking is that it will be a very long time before anyone gets dewy-eyed and nostalgic enough to want to travel on one on a heritage railway.

Which may sound like miserable old g*t talk, but if this thread illustrates anything it is that EMUs are very challenging in preservation terms.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, 313201 said:

I just hope I can somehow get a fund raiser going in order to raise the necessary money to purchase at least 1 hopefully 2 or 3 units before they are all purchased for preservation or spares

Complete fantasy, your efforts and money would be much better finding a parcel of land alongside the railway in Merseyside (there seems to be a candidate west of Bidston depot but I don't know the area) and erecting a shed big enough to hold 2x 3car units and do a modest amount of maintenance .

In the short term use it for storing the people of Liverpool's unit, and if you could demonstrate that was a success then bring the 503 back North and you might have the basis of a viable project. You only have to read about the 'preservation' of the 503 to realise how fragile EMU preservation can be -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_503 the sad thing is by the time you have bought a couple of units, stripped them of asbestos and paid for 6 lorry journeys to somewhere, that's not far off the cost of a basic shed. You still need a supporting organisation (with capable members, not just dreamers) and the upkeep and security of premises will have a drag on funding, but just stopping the rot gives a better chance of success. 

Jon

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 17/09/2020 at 19:15, uax6 said:

Not entirely true that timber bodied vehicles are out right banned.... Ian Riley ran a timber bodied LMS Royal Scot car behind one of his black 5's (I think) during lockdown. It was at the head of the train of ECS, ran at line speed, but no-one was allowed to travel in it.....

Theres a photo in the Railway Magazine...

Andy G

Edit: Also the GWR steam railmotor has run mainline too with passengers, then there are the VSOE Pullmans, and most surprisingly the ex WCJS kitchen car that runs in that posh cruising train stock and is part of West Coasts fleet.....

The Belmond Pullman cars are run under grandfather rights (I.e. they have been contiiusly registered for mainline use since privatisation).

This is no different to things like the signaling layout at Birmingham New Street which is strictly forbidden to be built now as the standards have changed - but because it’s remained in continues use it can stay as is until it gets replaced.

As for the GWR railmotor - that was on the self contained ‘one engine in steam’ Looe branch with zero chance of hitting anything else.

Finally what use is passenger stock with no passengers. Track access charges will still have to be paid etc