3D-Printed Avonside B4 0-6-0ST

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Barclay said:

So is this the same loco as the CSP, ex-Agenoria kit?

I'm pretty sure the kit maker recommends 3'3" wheels as I'm sure I had to get a custom Branchlines Multibox with a smaller final drive gear. 

A good kit, although a little old-fashioned, but the lack of a riveted tank, which looks so good on Dave's, is a shame. Every time I see 'Robert' at Stratford I think this. I believe Cranford has a welded tank but this might be a preservation-era replacement?

Well....

The flush sided tanks are 3 sections welded together. There were also 3 piece riveted and 3 piece with no rivets showing (either flush rivets or welded) but the centre section being larger.

I have no idea why this is so, because the flush sided ones appear in different places in the works numbers and not on consecutive locos, so it may have been a buyer's specification?

The type that you have, with the flush sided tanks and the reinforced frame extensions around the base of the smokebox, is correct for the locos used at Staveley Ironworks - Avonside No.3 (which became Cranford II and is the preserved one), Hartington and (I think) Devonshire. These locos at some point acquired dogged smokebox doors, initially with the door dart still fitted but then later replaced with a handrail. Cranford II retained this but when restored in preservation gained a new conventional smokebox door (with straps spaced further apart).

The Staveley locos also had the lower bufferbeam extensions, with a second set of drawgear, and enormous dumb buffers.

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=100807&search=1956&category_id=102&page=1

@Barclay I believe your one is similar to Cranford II as it is now with the new smokebox door (the straps are spaced the same). It looks awesome! Only one teeny tiny thing which is I think the sandboxes need some lids?

The Mersey Docks and Harbour Board locos also had flush sided tanks which we will be doing a version of. Possibly the Staveley locos too.

Edited by Corbs
  • Informative/Useful 2