RMweb

Power problem on DCC layout

rafregt1

I have a problem with my power on the layout,  which is DCC, can someone be able to advise me. . If you look at the first photo this is my diagram of my layout. all of the layout works ok but for were i put the arrows when a loco come to them it trips the power, all my points are  DCC , so have full power I have tried to work out were i am going wrong. but i am stuck. can any one  advise me  how to solve the problem, many thanks for any help TOM.

2020_08061shed0012.JPG

2020_08061shed0008.JPG

2020_08061shed0009.JPG

2020_08061shed0010.JPG

17 hours ago, rafregt1 said:

all my points are  DCC ,

I assume you mean you have snipped the link wires below & are supplying frog power from switches? This is for reliability not DCC compatibility. I wired all points on a friend's DC layout this way & we never had a continuity issue for its entire exhibition life.

Your images all show areas near points & looks like the frog is the wrong polarity?

If this is the case, how are you powering the frogs? If using switches, what type are you using?

I have checked  all my peco points which have been made up with a PL13 switch   which has been soldered as per the diagram on the  back of the peco  package as my layout is  quite large I have checked each point to see the the power is alright . i am finding it very hard to try and find the problem has anyone got an answer  that would help me to solve the problem. many thanks for any help TOM.

I suggest that you get a bulb (car 12v will do nicely)  and put some wires on it with crocodile clips on the end.

Then put a clip onto the rail of the turnout  with the open blade and the other onto the frog - the lamp should light. Then switch the turnout and the light should go out, leaving the clip on the frog move the track clip to the other rail and the light should go on again.

When you find one that doesn't follow this simple practice then swap the frog power wires around on the PL13 to make it work as described.

• Like 1