The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

• RMweb Gold
On 13/09/2021 at 19:35, durham light infantry said:

Our vet insists there is no such thing as "Tortitude". Having had many diffferent cats over the years I beg to differ.

IMG20210714185632.jpg.199e59e6c2ef63c808c2a2c56cecc55d.jpg

I would also beg to differ. Chili is a prime example of Tortitude, can go from angel to demon in the blink of an eye, and tried to kill the first vet she saw in California. It took one grown vet and three leather-gauntlet clad assistants to subdue the (then) 6lb furry feral fury....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's well known that a cat's pink blobs (aka staff) have three basic functions:

1. to provide food at regular intervals;
  2. to clean out the litter tray ditto;
  3. to open doors as required.

The latter is a function that the pink blobs too often try to put back on the cat. I've just had the drill and jigsaw out. Cat's response to my handiwork is "nice window; now open the door".

Any suggestions on how to get a cat flapping?

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

do not feed the cat his/her morning feed, then mid-day or so put the cat on one side of the flap and the food on the other. Push the flap open and then close it a few times. You might have to give the cat a gentle nudge at first. Kitty will get the message. Eventually, anyway!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

(blobs in differing colours available) 

Thank-you, yes, quite right. I think I picked up the phrase "pink blobs" from Terry Pratchett's The Unadulterated Cat (1989). It seems unlike Pratchett to have been insensitive in that way but I suppose it's a measure of the distance we've progressed in the last three decades.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Thank-you, yes, quite right. I think I picked up the phrase "pink blobs" from Terry Pratchett's The Unadulterated Cat (1989). It seems unlike Pratchett to have been insensitive in that way but I suppose it's a measure of the distance we've progressed in the last three decades.

I think we can safely assume that it's only in the last handful of decades that the automatic Euro-centricity of White dominated media has quite rightly been reminded that they aren't the sole inhabitants of the planet, or indeed the only consumers of it. I'm not into "cancel culture", just mindful.

C6T. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The latter is a function that the pink blobs too often try to put back on the cat. I've just had the drill and jigsaw out. Cat's response to my handiwork is "nice window; now open the door".

Tbh all ours over decades have been introduced to a flap by shoving them through it a few times ( in the nicest possible way of course !)  They all got the idea very quickly, without residual resentment !!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

Tbh all ours over decades have been introduced to a flap by shoving them through it a few times ( in the nicest possible way of course !)  They all got the idea very quickly, without residual resentment !!

Well, progress. Flap is propped open and cat is egressing and ingressing at will. So at least it's working as a hole, on the whole, and is less draughty than leaving the back door open. (That being the primary motivation for fitting the flap this week!)

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

A small pile of cat treats strategically placed the other side of the flap helped with ours. Plus, as @Porkscratching suggests, gently posting the cat through a few times...

Of course, that teaches them to use the cat flap. It doesn't stop them demanding that you open the door!

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

48 minutes ago, Nick C said:

A small pile of cat treats strategically placed the other side of the flap helped with ours. Plus, as @Porkscratching suggests, gently posting the cat through a few times...

No need for treats - they are bright enough to understand a boot up the jacksy !  :laugh:

But generous enough to share.  Kitten knocked a big tub of Dreamies onto the floor and now the mutt is sick.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4