Model Railroader July 2010

highpeak

Articles:

Using photographs of model buildings on a backdrop

Building a backwoods scene in 18" depth, includes small wooden trestle and river

Layout plan based on double track Milwaukee Road mainline through Kirkland, IL (15 x 26 feet, HO)

Loads for gondolas

Colouring wood structure kits with powdered pastel colours

Layout: Southern New England, HO scale, 11 x 22 feet

Car forwarding using self-adhesive removable plastic flags (Post-It brand) on car roof

Ethanol plants

Adding sound to N scale FP45

Product reviews:

Sunset Models Northern Pacific Z-6 4-6-6-4 HO scale ($1,250)

Bachmann HO doodlebug and trailer

Atlas O scale 5,161 cu ft covered hopper

ExactRail HO Milwaukee Road 40' rib-side boxcar

Athearn N scale 65' mill gon

Train Control N scale DCC decoder

Summit HO scale contemporary gas station

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I thumbed through it yesterday at the local grocery box store. Not bad. But with a page count of less than 100, and trending downward for MR, how long can they hold off not going to an e-mag format?

Oddly, it seems that your titles over there are holding their own in printed format. BRM, when I get it at all (paid for a sub, credit card company verifies that, Warners has no record) is about 50 percent larger than MR. Just an observation.

• 11 months later...

I think it is because all the big box shifter's multi-page Adverts have disappeared. There is absolutely no need for them (they were always out of date) when they can reach customers via the Internet (as bloody TrainWorld does to me every day).

Editorially I think MR has improved a bit recently.

Best, Pete

Hi,

I agree, the content seems to have improved lately and I usually buy MR, as it's readily available in the UK. My eyes gave up reading those advert lists with the tiny

print years ago. dry.gif

In pre-internet days, I remember buying Continenal Modeller specifically for the ads, regardless of the content. I only bought the June issue as it featured the excellent

Haston and North Plains.

cheers,

Mal

• RMweb Gold

I think there'll be a picture of my layout in the August issue. Fingers crossed!

There is (Page 82, Trackside Photos). Definitely one of those "I can't believe that is N-guage" images.

Best wishes

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

I took the decision not to renew earlier this year, after subscribing for more than 30 years. Although I model UK prototype mostly I have greatly enjoyed and been inspired by MR over the years but that inspiration has been missing for the last 3 or 4 years, my last renewal was a touch and go thing. Now with the advent of MRH I found that was offering something more akin to how MR used to be, and at a much better price.

Looking at MRH you can see where the advertisers have gone, but the editorial is in there as well.

Model Railroad hobbyist

Regards

Keith

Archived