SD Plaster kit

Ten years ago (probally more) I purchased this kit of a loco shed. I took one look at it and put it back in it box as it seemed very time consuming. Now that I have the time I need to know what glue to use (I was thinking epoxy).Also it states in the instrucions to use a acrylic varish before commencing work. Would a acylic paint work as a sealer. Any tips would be most helpful.

Thanks

Dave

Hi 38c

Wood glue and the UHU type glues will work, if you get the adhesive on the cosmetic sides of the castings it can effect the paint finish though (particularly external waterproof wood glue, had a bad experience with this and water based paints before). A good way to glue plaster castings is to use a weak mix of plaster, make sure you wet both mating surfaces before hand though or it will just falll apart. It also has the benefit of acting as a gap filler, any over spill can be carved away after it has dried. A bead of solvent free (not stinky and paintable) builders adhesive (I used GRIPFILL yellow in the past) at the back of the joint will act to reinforce the joint (other joint reinforcing methods are available).

With regards to priming the plaster, prime the model with whatever type of paint is compatible with the type of paint you want to use for the finish coat e.g. If you intend to finish the model with acrylics, spray a coat of acrylic grey primer on.

I have used the above method with the linka system (plaster castings) so think it will apply to your situation as well. Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Martin

Archived