Mosston over Moss: Building a Coarse Scale garden railway

Florence Locomotive Works

4 hours ago, Mark Carne said:

Given your record, leave well alone! Might not be easy in your location, but someome who does clock repairs would be able to mend the spring.

Mark

Are you referring to salvaging it or the new mech? 

Anyways I have found a suitable clock repairer so it will be taken to them this weekend.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works

Right so the plan as of now is to take the mech to a professional clock repairer, where they will hopefully replace the spring with a new one. We also need a new key for the clock downstairs, so there's more than one incentive to go. This clock place also appears to sell many interesting things such as brass telescopes and clockwork models of the solar system, so should be quite the entertaining experience. This armillary is one of their products.

image.png.c2862a42c785b5dc1e5be51e0deb151a.png

• Informative/Useful 1

Today a chain was made to fit on the front coupler, and another coat of gloss varnish was applied. The body is stood up on a block as I don’t want to run the risk of leaving the mech inside  and having the spring “go” more than it already has and damage the body. 

Douglas

725502C2-D580-483F-8DB8-C6076B3420B2.jpeg

80430A70-5C7E-4113-8CCB-2ECBAEB6FFD2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The engine was taken to the clock repairers today. Surprisingly this wasn’t the first clockwork toy they’d worked on. After some talking eventually my dad and I and the err, “chief horologist”, decided on the $350 for a full rebuilt. This will entail, new spring, new gears where required, new brake, straightening of plates, new bearings, and new bushes. I will probably have to do the quartering myself, as they won’t know what that is. It will be in “the works” for 3 months, while these repairs are carried out. Hopefully I will be able to stop in sometimes and see the progress, or maybe even witness it as they hinted at a probable apprenticeship. So I will be engineless for the next 3 months, but I’ve still got the tender, which needs new wheels finding, and maybe some Leeds axle boxes fitting.

Typo
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have decided not to go down the costly and rather beyond me route of fitting what were actually Bond's O'Euston Road axleboxes to the tender, instead I will be stripping the paint off the overpainted frames and fit some sort of fake axlebox. But I genuinely can't stand the Hornby wheels that are currently fitted, so those will be going. The center wheelset is quite good, its been turned fairly well from a piece of round bar steel. As to what I will be replacing the other two wheelsets with I know not, as it must be period correct, so no plastic slaters wheels. Something from Lionel seems the best option as of now. Obviously they won't be as big as the ones below, something similar. 

image.png.7240e0863fe1c7b8bc78cee8ccf71172.png

• Informative/Useful 1

After much research and trawling through websites I have decided that its just better to leave the tender as is. Almost. I ended up removing most of the paint from the frames as I had overpainted them slightly, to a degree that it was hard to see the "springs". The paint originally on the springs has been removed and will probably stay like that, unless I discover that they could have been painted in a contrasting color to the black frames. I have also decided not to replace the wheels in the tender or the bogie. However the two original sets of Hornby wheels will probably go for a bath in the ultra-sonic cleaner.

There is however one massive exception to all this. Said exception being that I have constructed a fake bed of coal from cardboard and BBQ charcoal, which looks quite fairly decent if I do say so myself. An area for the tender tank filler cap has also been made, and needs painting. The metal divider between the coal space and filler is part of a old Keyser 4mm GWR 3500 gallon tender, and the cap itself is the top of a flyball governor from a WIlesco d10 live steam stationary engine. I don't  think I'll bother painting the cap, as it looks quite nice as is.  Some coal still needs adding in places and a bit of black painting done to hide the bare bits, including the filler cap area (the correct name for this I really should know).

Douglas

image.jpg

image.jpg

With regard to how the engine is progressing in its rebuild, well it won't start for another three weeks I believe. However all going well I will be going on a private tour of the clockmaker's works this weekend.

• Like 1

I just couldn’t stand the near bodge job I did on the frames any longer. So it was off to a bath of cellulose thinners, and then a some sanding. A lot of sanding actually, the picture shows what it looked like after 45 min, which was the most I could get off with the tools at my disposal. I could have used my dads beed blaster, but thought it might damage the rather thin metal. After the sanding the frames were spray painted with some Krylon Paints semi gloss black, and then the usual gloss coat. Some fake “wear and tear” was then applied in the places where one might expect it to be. The buffers have also been repainted, as has the buffer beam. 

Douglas

36ABB9BB-A994-44A0-9F30-D912B8361E8B.jpeg

0E9DC180-C250-40E8-B1BE-3954AE0550E1.jpeg

Since the fake springs on the tender are no longer overpainted, I have decided not to leave them in a bare metal finish. They may be lined in LMS crimson lake at some point though.

Douglas

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I decided I needed to do some carpentry, and had also been eyeing  a Bing for BL signal on ebay. I then thought to myself, why pay for it? So I began making one. The horizontal piece is made from balsa, I'm not sure what the main upright is though. The pieces are fitted together with a mortise and tenon, with a tiny amount of superglue. The wire brackets are also superglued and are functional. 

Douglas 

image.png.ede2abb569018fcf368ade8527cb2456.pngimage.png.2dbbcef406c3597a320c4b37f4948059.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

...snip...  Yes, I suppose the paint finish could be bit better, but oh well.

Douglas

No, it looks great,  just like it has been in service for many years in that fine English weather! :biggrin_mini:

• Thanks 1

Hello all, this topic has just been moved courtesy of a moderator (thank you very much to them) from the Collectable/Vintage section, where it didn't quite fit in. 

The plan for the layout will be to take one of the two paths below.

1. Keep the layout design currently in use, and make it something like the Leeds Model Company layout "Horden" pictured below, built for the Horden family of Australia in 1928.

2. Acquire the book, "A Lifetime with O Gauge", by Jack Ray and see if it may be feasible to build something along the lines of Crewchester, but it would have to be operable by one person with ease. 

My preferred method would be number 2, but I would only be able to use it for 4 months every year as the weather in Oklahoma is rarely suited to outdoor activities. So with that in mind, I have been giving much thought as to how to give the indoor layout a but more, "scenery", not really grass and trees, but a large station and signal box. The best way to go about building these seems to be out of wood, which should be fun. Platforms will also need making, and the Meccano train shed already needs widening, something that should get done today. The layout will remain, at least for the foreseeable future, single tracked, as I have got the space or money to add another line! :biggrin_mini:

Douglas

image.png.e2391a321f3e95b6eb96acad9a6e11d2.png

• Like 1

Well after much discussion on @Nearholmers fantastic thread, I have decided on option 2. Excavations have begun, and the area is immensely suited, with a rise in the middle, and room for a bend. 

It will be in a L shape, with the main station at the “top”, over a drainage ditch. The line will then rise slightly around a gentle bend, (through were the pile of leaves are) and then climb very slightly more before it reaches a long downward slope to the “down” station. A turntable will probably be built at the down station.

The irrigation ditch goes under the main station, and was a real pig to dig as the massive rose stone block pictured below was found in the middle. 

Douglas

5773664B-8C23-4E88-A273-7E2F8DB55E2E.jpeg
The up station is to the right of the above picture. 

8CFF86EA-ABF7-4CF3-8152-7A44DE8F2A2C.jpeg
King of all blocks. 

The last photo shows the area were the bend will go on approach to the up station.

9CAA441F-6CE5-4348-94B2-CB034A8FD654.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Hello all, this topic has just been moved courtesy of a moderator (thank you very much to them) from the Collectable/Vintage section, where it didn't quite fit in. 

The plan for the layout will be to take one of the two paths below.

1. Keep the layout design currently in use, and make it something like the Leeds Model Company layout "Horden" pictured below, built for the Horden family of Australia in 1928.

2. Acquire the book, "A Lifetime with O Gauge", by Jack Ray and see if it may be feasible to build something along the lines of Crewchester, but it would have to be operable by one person with ease. 

My preferred method would be number 2, but I would only be able to use it for 4 months every year as the weather in Oklahoma is rarely suited to outdoor activities. So with that in mind, I have been giving much thought as to how to give the indoor layout a but more, "scenery", not really grass and trees, but a large station and signal box. The best way to go about building these seems to be out of wood, which should be fun. Platforms will also need making, and the Meccano train shed already needs widening, something that should get done today. The layout will remain, at least for the foreseeable future, single tracked, as I have got the space or money to add another line! :biggrin_mini:

Douglas

image.png.e2391a321f3e95b6eb96acad9a6e11d2.png

Do I detect outside third rail there? If so, you could always model the EL in Chicago! :jester:

671457327_03.Withinminutesthecopsshowuptheunionshowsuptwoguysfromthemobshowupandasubwayfan(wheredidhecomefrom)showsupposted14oct17.jpg.9a7b50303293be933702ff3d6227bbca.jpg

Bi-Centennial scheme above, original scheme below.

IMG_20171019_222135.jpg.1476939e9f265b657727425b191b59eb.jpg

MTH offered some very nice CTA equipment; I especially like the 6000s above, and the newer 3000s below.

100_3608.JPG.cf90057d84eac9370452b6418add3e81.JPG

At some point in time all of these will get scale wheels and outside third rail shoes.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The layout was packed up this morning. 

What!? I hear the masses cry, well, the engine isn’t returning from the clock repairers until December, so there isn’t much point in having it out. In the interim, the whole thing will hopefully be put on some boards, for quick assembly and to prevent grass getting up in the locos movement. I am hoping to purchase some Darstaed LMS period 2 coaches very soon, I would prefer period 1 but they should do. A few Leeds wagons may also be acquired. 

Douglas

• RMweb Premium

The layout was packed up this morning. 

What!? I hear the masses cry, well, the engine isn’t returning from the clock repairers until December, so there isn’t much point in having it out. In the interim, the whole thing will hopefully be put on some boards, for quick assembly and to prevent grass getting up in the locos movement. I am hoping to purchase some Darstaed LMS period 2 coaches very soon, I would prefer period 1 but they should do. A few Leeds wagons may also be acquired. 

Douglas

You could always electrify the center rail.

Its got a proper name now.:no:

Grand! And it is.........................?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

You could always electrify the center rail.

Grand! And it is.........................?

I’ll give it some thought, but I really need to take the motors in my Lionel engines apart and give the armatures and brushes a good bath in brake cleaner.

The name is Mosston over Moss, a play on a typical type of British town/city name where the civilization is named for being on, or over a body of water (Southend on Sea for example). In this case the station is actually supported on two massive rose stone blocks above a drainage ditch, which I named the river moss, in reference to the large quantities of the plant growing in the area. Same naming inspiration for the town. 

Douglas

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I’ll give it some thought, but I really need to take the motors in my Lionel engines apart and give the armatures and brushes a good bath in brake cleaner. ...snip...

Douglas

If they are postwar, they will run quite well after that minor maintenance. Go for it but I would suggest something other than brake cleaner; it just might damage the insulation. You might consider Caig DeoxIT D series contact cleaner. It is designed for electronics.

https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/

• Informative/Useful 1

These two original Bassett Lowke LMS period maybe-1-but-looks-more-like-2 corridor coaches are to be acquired soon. In most photos look a bit dusty, so will be cleaned and then covered in a gloss protective coat. Any large unpainted spots (without lining) will be sympathetically repainted, and the wheel sets removed for inspection and a little light bearing lubrication. 

Designs are also being thought of of how to improve the aesthetics of Mosston station, the first step will be widening of the train shed, somehow. Then a fairly basic cascade of a large Victorian terminus will be carved and placed behind it. I have also realized  that the bridge isn’t wide enough for platforms on either side of the track, so something will need to be done about that. 

Douglas

AE50869E-4086-4636-953F-D26E01EADA48.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update ladies and gents.

Those who remember the very early days of this topic will remember that this was intended to be live steam layout. However these dreams were dashed when a major problem with the lubricator on my Bassett Lowke Stanier mogul was discovered. So massive and demoralizing was this problem that the GtV was bought. However after much planning with @Happy Hippo, as solution has hopefully been found.

This entails a brand new lubricator of different design, with oil regulating needle valve. A new steam line from the boiler to regulator will also be needed because of this. Updates on the project can be found on my new workbench thread below. 

Douglas

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1