The Bickley Central Mk 2

bickybtrains

So a very busy day, as previously mentioned  I ran my first test train on the helix. I pretty well finished laying all the points at the terminus station. Wired most of them  up to tortose point motors. Got my next level on the helix in.  Pretty chuffed on the progress so far.  I have enough track for one more level of the helix and then I'm out.  The carriage siding I'm using recycled track from my last layout.  Also the small goods siding will be recycled track.

Thought I should add some photos, Platform one is my longest and as you can see I can have a good sized passenger train of 9 coaches and loco.  The main line that runs under the terminus had to dodge a few point motors.  Above  the main line is Covid Jct.  

20210403_215147.jpg

20210403_215122.jpg

20210403_215113.jpg

20210403_215046.jpg

20210403_214954.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

With salvaged track from my previous layout I managed to lay the lower sidings.  The sidings go under the helix.  This will be disguised with a bridge, the helix will be hidden behind a back scene.  The double track to the left is the the outer mainline, the inner mainline is connected to the sidings.  In reality the outer and inner mainline are just a very large loop that folds in on itself.(  A dog bone  design )  from the sidings a train would travel nearly 70 feet from the inner double track mainline to the outer mainline as seen in the photo.   The train could also go to the lower storage sidings from the inner mainline.  

20210414_004200.jpg

• Like 3

I also had time to draw out the storage sidings that are under the main terminus station.  In the distance you can see the loop of the mainline.  This is where the mainline starts to double back on its self.  For clarity on the scenic section these are the inner and outer main lines.   They make up four of the loops in the helix.  The fifth loop is a bit of trickery.  On the top of the helix and associated sections above the lower sidings will be the coal mine. This fith loop will be where trains enter the loading facilities.  The train will actually disappear into the helix, down to the lower sidings.  An identical train will go up the helix and will be loaded (appear to be) at the loading facilities.   On the lower sidings that colliery track is the fith track from  the wall.  The storage siding will be able to accommodate a 9 coach train, shorter passenger trains of 6 coaches  and a storage yard for locos.  Also most goods trains will be stabled here.  The storage yard will represent London on my layout .  

20210414_004216.jpg

Edited by bickybtrains
  • Like 5

With what little track I have left I'm now working out the colliery junction.  The one line will go into the helix, after it goes through the MGR unloader or whatever you call it.  The top of the helix will be the coal mine.  One ot mainline set of the loops will be exposed as it skirts around the coal mine.  The other three will just disappear, Including the coal mine loop. 

20210414_192827.jpg

20210414_192853.jpg

20210414_192850.jpg

• Like 4

I have also started to lay out the lower station.  This will be a mainline station, incorporating both outer and inner mainlines.  Originally I was going to leave the outer mainline, but thought it might look better with it being incorporated into this station.  The idea for this station  is to have platforms that can accommodate 10 coach trains.    

20210417_175210.jpg

• Like 3

I thought I should take you through a walk through of the layout.  The first picture is the terminus, then covid junction that connects to the outer mainline, then through colliery Junction, then into the helix, down the helix through the lower sidings, through the lower station, onward to the lower loop. In the the lower loop you can either go into the storage sidings or enter the outer mainline.  Then you double back on yourself.  Except you miss the the lower sidings, enter the helix and then become the inner upper mainline.  This line ducks under covid junction south and loops back to Covid junction north.  You can either take the junction into the mainline station or continue on through to colliery junction.  Total journey is about 265 feet. Here are the photos.  I will be doing a updated track plan soon.  

20210418_153712.jpg

20210418_153717.jpg

20210418_153731.jpg

20210418_153738.jpg

20210418_153741.jpg

20210418_153746.jpg

20210418_153806.jpg

20210418_153845.jpg

Edited by bickybtrains
  • Like 5

I'm officially out of track, so onto wiring up everything.  My Friend who is a somewhat expert in DCC is helping me out on that endeavour.  I have divided the layout up into 4 power districts, over 70 sections.  Plus all the point motors I think I'm going to be busy for the next wee while.  Good thing that I pre wired the tortose motors.  

Not much in the way of track laying as I await my shipment of track.  So I have been busy with the terminus overall roof.  A fun little project.  I'm still waiting for my peco platform edges and I will be well on my way to finishing the station.  Next week is wiring and getting all the point motors hooked up to my decoders.  

20210501_221712.jpg

20210501_221722.jpg

• Like 7

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got all my track, so I am now finishing up the helix.  I was within a couple of mm to the upper level.  In the next couple of days I will have it connected to the upper level.  I have also been busy laying the track for the main line as well   I changed to concrete ties from wood on the main line.  Pictures to follow in the next couple of days.  I will have an updated track plan also.  I will be asking everyone how am I going to signal this layout.  

Hi there,

Again, Wow! This is a great project and you’ve done really well in about six months. I do like the way you’ve gone about everything from the refurbishment of the basement to the lighting, it’s all well done.

I am just starting to plan a large layout myself, may I ask how you came up with your plan, please?

Cheers,

John

The helix is so close to being finished.  I'm out by about 2mm.   I have to lay the last bit of track and I can then concentrate on the rest of the layout.  On the upper section the outermost  2 loops will be exposed and will have scenery.  On top of helix will be a coal mine.  

20210603_214545.jpg

Edited by bickybtrains
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi there,

Again, Wow! This is a great project and you’ve done really well in about six months. I do like the way you’ve gone about everything from the refurbishment of the basement to the lighting, it’s all well done.

I am just starting to plan a large layout myself, may I ask how you came up with your plan, please?

Cheers,

John

I have built many layouts over the years.  Each time I have it has has been an evolution of the previous layout.  I wanted to jump into DCC and with that goal in mind I discovered that I could build a terminus station and operate it in a prototypical way.  I searched the internet and found a good design for a terminus station.  With that, I started the design of the rest of the layout.  The opportunity to do a double deck layout seemed possible.  I built a prototype module and liked what was possible.  The helix was going going to be the achiles heal in the design.  Looking at other helix designs I noticed a shortcoming.  They were too steep and had a very tight radius.  the original plan for the helix was four tracks  I ended up with another loop soley for the coal mine MGR workings, I drew up a rough plan in the old fashioned way using pen and paper.  Then once the design was maturing, I drew up a full sized plan on newsprint. 

I used peco templates to figure out the station approaches and alignment of the two junctions.  With the full sized plan I also figured out the length of trains that I could  operate.  Once the basement demo was underway, I transfered the plan on the floor to see if it would work.  Once satisfied with the plan I proceeded to get all my  baseboard materials cut at a cabinet shop.  I used good both sides Plywood 1/2 and 3/4 inch.  I painted them both sides.  

I was lucky that I have a workshop to build all the modules.  Yes the layout has been designed to be dismantled easily.  Most modules are 48 inches x 24 inches .  All the modules are bolted to each other, electrical wiring etc has also been sectioned, so it can be disconnected between modules.  

The layout is  DCC and with the help of a good friend I will get my head around the final wiring of the layout and associated bits.

When designing the layout I realize it is going to be operated by one person,  It will be automatically controlled by computer.  My job is really to operate the terminus station, coal mine and lower yard.

Anticipated problems are:

1.  Getting overwhelmed with the layout and losing interest:

My last  layout was about half the size, to eliminate losing interest I found it wise to jump to other sections of the layout.  For me it was build the station and canopies.  When I worked on the helix I would take a couple of days off and lay track elsewhere on the layout .  I also found it useful to work on cameos and fully finish them.  

2.  Financial:  Not having the funds to complete the project.   Again I sold my previous collection and saved up to finance this project.  Still its just a hobby and my build timeline is 3 years.   I don't spend much elsewhere so the funds are there.

3.  Health, im not getting younger, so the duck under is nearly 50 inches from the floor.  I live in a house where its only a few stairs down so access is easy.  All the wiring is easily accessible, with either drop down electrical panels.

4.  I made the basement very comfortable, finished flooring, excellent lighting, an abundance of electrical outlets, have made  working down there pleasant.  I also have a TV that is connected to my computer so I listen to some good music down there.

Hope this helps

Edited by bickybtrains
grammer
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

21 hours ago, 37114 said:

Wow, that is a very impressive amount of space and setup! Your loco fleet will certainly get a workout with that amount of track!

yes they certainly will.  I figured it will take at least 4 to 5 minutes to leave the terminus and return.  I am lucky to have good fleet at my disposal.   I still will need to chip up about another 10 locos.  Most of the fleet is new, and already chipped with sound.  I have an HST set to chip up.  

• Like 1

Sweeping curves are in order both inner and outer main lines are connected up.  On the photo to the right is where the colliery is going to be.  The inner loop will just disappear behind a retaining wall.  This loop is where I plan to have a bit of visual trickery.  That looks actually will go under a coal discharge facility.  Trains will enter empty and come out full.  To achieve that the lower sidings arel connected to the colliery loop.  So empty trains will enter the lower sidings as if coming from a power station.  Full trains will enter the lower sidings and enter the colliery loop and exit the colliery as if been filled.

20210607_204313.jpg

• Like 5