The Bickley Central Mk 2

bickybtrains

On 04/06/2021 at 08:22, bickybtrains said:

I have built many layouts over the years.  Each time I have it has has been an evolution of the previous layout.  I wanted to jump into DCC and with that goal in mind I discovered that I could build a terminus station and operate it in a prototypical way.  I searched the internet and found a good design for a terminus station.  With that, I started the design of the rest of the layout.  The opportunity to do a double deck layout seemed possible.  I built a prototype module and liked what was possible.  The helix was going going to be the achiles heal in the design.  Looking at other helix designs I noticed a shortcoming.  They were too steep and had a very tight radius.  the original plan for the helix was four tracks  I ended up with another loop soley for the coal mine MGR workings, I drew up a rough plan in the old fashioned way using pen and paper.  Then once the design was maturing, I drew up a full sized plan on newsprint. 

I used peco templates to figure out the station approaches and alignment of the two junctions.  With the full sized plan I also figured out the length of trains that I could  operate.  Once the basement demo was underway, I transfered the plan on the floor to see if it would work.  Once satisfied with the plan I proceeded to get all my  baseboard materials cut at a cabinet shop.  I used good both sides Plywood 1/2 and 3/4 inch.  I painted them both sides.  

I was lucky that I have a workshop to build all the modules.  Yes the layout has been designed to be dismantled easily.  Most modules are 48 inches x 24 inches .  All the modules are bolted to each other, electrical wiring etc has also been sectioned, so it can be disconnected between modules.  

The layout is  DCC and with the help of a good friend I will get my head around the final wiring of the layout and associated bits.

When designing the layout I realize it is going to be operated by one person,  It will be automatically controlled by computer.  My job is really to operate the terminus station, coal mine and lower yard.

Anticipated problems are:

1.  Getting overwhelmed with the layout and losing interest:

My last  layout was about half the size, to eliminate losing interest I found it wise to jump to other sections of the layout.  For me it was build the station and canopies.  When I worked on the helix I would take a couple of days off and lay track elsewhere on the layout .  I also found it useful to work on cameos and fully finish them.  

2.  Financial:  Not having the funds to complete the project.   Again I sold my previous collection and saved up to finance this project.  Still its just a hobby and my build timeline is 3 years.   I don't spend much elsewhere so the funds are there.

3.  Health, im not getting younger, so the duck under is nearly 50 inches from the floor.  I live in a house where its only a few stairs down so access is easy.  All the wiring is easily accessible, with either drop down electrical panels.

4.  I made the basement very comfortable, finished flooring, excellent lighting, an abundance of electrical outlets, have made  working down there pleasant.  I also have a TV that is connected to my computer so I listen to some good music down there.

Hope this helps

Thank you!

Yes, that was a very helpful and detailed answer. I’m sorry I didn’t reply before, I don’t know how I missed it but fortunately, I just spotted your topic again.

Will continue to follow your progress with interest.

Cheers,

John

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2021 at 22:12, bickybtrains said:

This is how the layout room looks right now.  All the drywall is up, just a day or two of sanding.  Then painting and electrical.  After that flooring and hanging doors.  Then I can get to work building my model railway empire. The whole layout will be modular so that it can be taken down with little damage.   My wife hints on us buying a nice bungalow someday.  

20210215_210637.jpg

How on earth did you manage to buy drywall in Canada in 2021? 

I had to buy some recently to patch a wall - more than 80% of places here were sold out, the remaining 20% had purchase limits. That said, contractors seemed to be finding it (but complaining about paying through the nose for it).

On 21/06/2021 at 21:04, Nova Scotian said:

How on earth did you manage to buy drywall in Canada in 2021? 

I had to buy some recently to patch a wall - more than 80% of places here were sold out, the remaining 20% had purchase limits. That said, contractors seemed to be finding it (but complaining about paying through the nose for it).

Well I did manage to get it, but at a price.  It isn't easy, I'm in the reno business and it's funny what stuff suddenly becomes rare.  For example; steel doors I have been waiting for three months for them.  Vinyl windows are taking 8 weeks  till they are delivered.  It's crazy.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, davknigh said:

Bravo! Well done! Now comes the fun part, ballasting …

Cheers,

David

I think the fun part is electrical.  I still got to hook up everything.  David Holmes a fellow Buffer MRC member is helping me on that.  Usually I ballast after scenery.   

• 3 weeks later...

I decided a while ago  not watch tv and spend the time on something more useful.  I find splitting the jobs into intervals of 1 evening wiring another building models etc. makes the task easier.  The big task is coming soon and that is getting the whole thing running.  

Edited by bickybtrains

• 2 weeks later...

To keep my sanity I have to split up jobs on the layout.  Last night I was busy wiring up point t motors.  I think I have at least 54 point motors to wire up and install.  So far I have 25 installed, so I guess I'm half way there.  Today was back scene day.  Besides getting glue in my hair i think I'm well on the the way of getting that beast completed.  

20210802_213608.jpg

20210802_213618.jpg

20210802_213614.jpg

20210802_213612.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 1 month later...
On 06/09/2020 at 02:25, bickybtrains said:

As with all model railway layouts, the fun is building them.  Over the last couple of years I have been renovating my house.  I now only have the basement left to renovate.  Although I have enjoyed my present layout, it does have some short comings.  The opportunity is to  build my ultimate layout.   Our basement is in need for a refurbishment, the laundry room is dingy and dark.  The basement was not fully insulated and has a cold floor.  It also only has one window.  Being in the renovation business allows me to rectify most of the problems, new windows in concrete and meeting fire code is a specialty that my company does.  So with pencil in hand I have drawn up a rough sketch of the project at hand. So here comes The New and improved Bickley Central.  20200906_020006.jpg.453cde0c14dc322df28051eaa6f6342d.jpg

So its been a year since I started with pen and paper.  

• Friendly/supportive 2

In one corner,I have a model of manor farm.  Manor farm was my grandmothers family home for many years.  I always loved the farm, going  there as a kid.  The view of Ferrybridge power station over the fields, the coal trains rumbling through the town, the smell of industry, it all  seemed so long ago.

20210906_182532.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Running some trains on the helix to determine its capacity.  My Bachmann class 25 can handle an 8 coach train on the inner loop of the helix, without slipping.  So my capacity for passenger trains is 8 coaches I guess.  I wasn't planning of running larger trains than that anyway.  Pretty chuffed that my wiring on the helix is OK.  Now to the arduous task of wiring the whole latout.  I have most of the droppers in place, all the fish plates soldered.  I still got a pile of tortose motors to install and wire up.  All in all this part of the project is going to be a  headache.