York station in the 1950's.

kirtleypete

Second thoughts again! This picture implies that there was nothing in this end....

1106518549_YORKBOOK1.jpg.4d2d3655e8454d1b2bbd989a49e59e62.jpg

We've decided to leave things as they are. I have added the ventilators on the roof and the decorative panel above the windows...the clock is on order and can be added when it arrives.

BSTALL800.jpg.ed03652622af624738dd230bb6a5f548.jpg

Peter

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Have I missed a departure indicator - surely essential?

Pity you left that caption on the photo of the end of Smiths. The Assembly Rooms - now an 'Ask' Pizzeria in happier times - is a wonderful building. And the city walls are simply superb.  Others will have places and areas of York they believe are of great architectural merit. 

Paul

• Like 3

There must be a departure board, but it's not on the end of the old signal box (if that's what it is), and we haven't found a picture showing it. As soon as we do I'll model it. of course. I'm amazed how hard it is to find pictures of that area.

Peter

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I recall the departures listings were on big roller displays, possibly 7-8ft tall, glass fronted with dark wood cabinet style surrounds. I am about 90% certain there was a set on the left (south side) as you went onto the platform and where the Burger King concession is now/was the last time I was on the station. I vaguely recall some others out on the platforms but I am hazy in memory as to where they were.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Have just flicked through one of the books on York railways in my library. It is in copyright so I won't post the photo here but this book (See p24) has a photo showing the newsagent, signal box, original location of the footbridge stairs and one of the roller indicator cabinets circa 1930. Sadly I think the book is long out of print.  It did of course change by the 1950s but the photo may help.

The book is - Hoole, K., 1976. Railways of York, Clapham (Via Lancaster): Dalesman.

Edited by john new
Typos corrected
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

Second thoughts again! This picture implies that there was nothing in this end....

1106518549_YORKBOOK1.jpg.4d2d3655e8454d1b2bbd989a49e59e62.jpg

Peter

The cabinet with the blurred figure in front of it (and the cartoon person in the advert) may well have been a departures cabinet with roller blind on the platform face. I am not certain but it matches my memory of what they looked like before the electronic versions replaced them.

Edited by john new
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

There must be a departure board, but it's not on the end of the old signal box (if that's what it is) ........

Peter

It definitely was a signal box - 70 levers. As far as I can remember, there was no 'board' (departure or otherwise) on the 'north end' of the 'box. Again, AFAIR, the 'gate' at that end was only used by staff/PO staff taking barrows in/out of the station, and even less frequently, at extremely busy times, such as when the races were on. The 'south end' ticket gates being the main access for passengers (and train spotters) to the platforms.

Edited by iands
spelling correction
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

This image https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/18185835.york-railway-station-engineering-becomes-art/#gallery4 on the York Press website confirms one of my memory locations for the roller blind departure boards. The one face on to the camera with Departures as the box header was the roller type, on the right are cabinets with IIRC the full timetables.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, john new said:

This image https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/18185835.york-railway-station-engineering-becomes-art/#gallery4 on the York Press website confirms one of my memory locations for the roller blind departure boards. The one face on to the camera with Departures as the box header was the roller type, on the right are cabinets with IIRC the full timetables.

Enquiring of the two local newspapers - York Press and Yorkshire Times was going to be my suggestion. I follow the Press online and they frequently put up sets of photos of local interest, just street scenes or local buildings etc. They must have a vast photo archive. I think it is the Yorkshire Times that has published railway photo books in the past. 

We have a lot of the York related books at our club house, but completely closed up for some months to come I'm afraid. 

But I also concede large amounts of railway went largely unrecorded. I think that because nowadays mass photography is relatively cheap - even basically free with many phones - there is a lack of understanding how recent this has come about. Apologies a bit of a hobby horse.

Paul

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Enquiring of the two local newspapers - York Press and Yorkshire Times was going to be my suggestion. I follow the Press online and they frequently put up sets of photos of local interest, just street scenes or local buildings etc. They must have a vast photo archive. I think it is the Yorkshire Times that has published railway photo books in the past. 

We have a lot of the York related books at our club house, but completely closed up for some months to come I'm afraid. 

But I also concede large amounts of railway went largely unrecorded. I think that because nowadays mass photography is relatively cheap - even basically free with many phones - there is a lack of understanding how recent this has come about. Apologies a bit of a hobby horse.

Paul

The books were Yorkshire Steam published by The Yorkshire Post

I trawled through 168 pictures of old York online yesterday, and not a single one of the station! However, I have bought 18 great pictures from Lens of Sutton and have contacted the Kidderminster museum.  I'm sure the NRM have some, but I'm not paying £20 per picture! 

Peter

• Like 1

I did that last night, hoping in some small way to help out. After watching 'This is York' twice and rolling through loads of photo's, I realised it was midnight and I'd been looking for over 2 hours!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 27/11/2020 at 14:34, iands said:

Totally agree. I was an S&T trainee at York 'box in 1976. Cleaning & polishing in the Power House was  nice little job on a Friday. As 1976 was one of the hottest summers on record, with all the relays, transformers  etc., and no ventilation (apart from opening the doors at either end) the relay room soon became a rather hot and stuffy place to be. So much so that the electrical installers carrying out modifications "downed tools" in the afternoons to go and cool down. I tried to join them one day, but the 'box lineman on 'afters' (late shift 2-10) this particular week, insisted I was to remain and finish the task he had given me - cleaning the glass on about 30 shelf relays with a chamois leather. Not my favourite lineman that week! 

I was a student engineer and spent 6 weeks sitting in the mess room. There wasn’t much to do because there were so few faults and the technicians were happy reading their papers. I would sneak into the power box and sit at the back watching the signalmen working the panel. 

• Like 1

The signalmen on the layout will have an easy life too,  so perhaps we should model them reading the Yorkshire Post! 

I've been working on the tea room;

tr1.jpg.f6b442ce93169e711fb5e81b65f75314.jpg

Those two phallic bottles are going to provide the two domes on the roof.  I was relieved it was just anti perspirant, it could have been a lot worse! 

tr2.jpg.9765dee7169025fc3e50a1041debbb58.jpg

tr3.jpg.bfee81787a052fa596f3fb8f24b28e6f.jpg

I know what you're thinking! 

tr4.jpg.2451dbd9250471a3f77b895e11372886.jpg

tr5.jpg.a836d654ca8c70d239d4aa9a24e57da0.jpg

Getting any glue to stick to the plastic caps was a nightmare, and they still need some cleaning up. 

tr6.jpg.2e6624934f75e6f0e917ff50f7f00864.jpg

tr7.jpg.f51742160b85c1b472de567c954f11e5.jpg

There are still a few gaps to fill and things to tidy up. I'll give it all overnight to harden off and then tomorrow I can weather it and the old signal box. As with the other side I've left the panel over the door blank, as by our period it was only used by staff. 

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

As ever, impatience has got the better of me. I've given both models a wash of dilute black, and in the morning I'll do some dry brushing to blend it all together. 

wea1.jpg.5cfc02b4d19aa59c8749d97b6614082c.jpg

wea2.jpg.85d8d5441c791a5b961ddf1739de8894.jpg

wea3.jpg.6bc4448d499c70243f782ed591dfd3ba.jpg

wea4.jpg.b991392e2626dc5949aa1cd0af0ef456.jpg

I've also done drawings for the two types of fencing that will be needed on the platform, ready to be laser cut in plastic. 

wea5.jpg.b1e60aae81751dd2c13e1c10d1643164.jpg

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

I've done the dry brushing so I think it's time to move on to the next model. I often leave a model for a day or two and then go back to it, it's surprising how often something needs doing that I missed originally. 

db1.jpg.f33ccc04c002e5868769c964998a6416.jpg

db2.jpg.645276348fdbd8acfde031b9ccacd2e1.jpg

db5.jpg.bb0c098d29b0d0a0ead52083cac23f12.jpg

The windows have all had two coat of satin varnish - I thought gloss would look too shiny.

db3.jpg.87946e75625a5677bab320086810f969.jpg

db4.jpg.d4c7d3283265c1fd2150e541d0c76e12.jpg

The right hand dome looks very odd from this angle as it is basically floating in the air!  The reason is that the roof needs to be removable in case we need to inset a pillar or girders for the overall roof and if I complete the dome it won't be possible to remove the roof; once that is done the roof can be fixed on place and the bottom of the dome filled in. 

The next job is the footbridge.

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

A plea for help - as I'm an O  gauge modeller I'm not familiar with the 4mm accessory market. Does anyone produce NER water tank panels? If not I'll get them laser cut, but if I can just buy some it will be much easier. While the roof parts are being done I'm going to build the water tank/pump house complex that stood by the Scarborough line. 

Added later - I think I may have found some by CWrailways.com ... they look to be just the job. 

Thanks,

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete