Is my Zimo decoder faulty?

Torper

Any motor without suppression circuits still causes issues on radios and if it is strong enough it will even affect digital TVs.

they are not required for DCC locos but as few locos are designed for DCC only they are still, and will remain, fitted with suppression circuits for DC operation. When running on DCC the suppression’s is performed by the decoder.

Thing is modern dcc chips have all this stuff onboard, getting as much crap out of the decoders signal path is probably the best thing you can do, i mean now most good decoders have a ton of settings for basic DC running even the sound/lighting works, adding extra components to the pcb adds impedance and wastes valuable space.

btw, i love your profile pic lol

Edited by Graham Radish

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just thought I'd conclude this thread by saying that my 439 class loco is now running well, but with a Lais KungFu decoder fitted.  I'm quite impresed by the performance of this £12.35 decoder, which is an upgrade to the Lais decoder I mentioned earlier in this thread.  I tried a total of three Zimo MX600s in this loco and none of them worked well, all displaying the symptoms I've already mentioned.  It has rather destroyed any faith I had in the MX600 range and I think I'l be buying Lais in future if I want a budget decoder.  I will however try my currently redundant Zimos again in the next build I do to see if they work better in it although I still can't understand why my 439 has had such objections to Zimos (or the other way round).

DT