Mink C - now with added V12 goodness.

4 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Craig W's V18 pic above, if it is in brown, has the solebar the same colour as the body, and the bits below the solebar in black.

I think the impression of black below the solebar is just shadow - look how the very top of the w-iron/springs on the left side get lighter above the shadow, and the top end of the brake handle. I think the main body of the van is in direct sun and hence looks a bit lighter than typical GWR grey.

Personally I think brown would look a bit darker than this in direct sun, although I’m not arguing with the contemporary suggestions that at least some GW vans were turned out in some kind of brown during the war. I’m away from my books but my memory tells me that the GW Way book mentions something about this, and possibly that repainted patches were supposed to be in bauxite, but states that there’s no photographic evidence the authors are aware of.

A fascinating period for liveries though with much scope for variation!

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, BenL said:

I think the impression of black below the solebar is just shadow - look how the very top of the w-iron/springs on the left side get lighter above the shadow, and the top end of the brake handle. I think the main body of the van is in direct sun and hence looks a bit lighter than typical GWR grey.

I’d agree with all of that.

The fact that the wagon is partly in direct sunlight, and partly not, is clear from looking at the rear faces of the wheels on the far side, of which the same is also true.

The very low sun is something that should be taken into account when interpreting the tonality of this photograph, I feel.

D

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 10/11/2022 at 12:01, Miss Prism said:

Craig W's V18 pic above, if it is in brown, has the solebar the same colour as the body, and the bits below the solebar in black.

I was thinking that for a moment, but changed my mind to same as body colour when I looked closer at the top left hand W iron and spring hangers. It looks just like shadows to me.

Edited by 57xx

• RMweb Gold
On 10/11/2022 at 16:33, BenL said:

Personally I think brown would look a bit darker than this in direct sun

Agreed, LMS Bauxite is a quite a dark brown colour. Looking at pics of wagons known to be in bauxite (e.g. LMS vehicles with post 1936 livery in Bob Essery's books) appear a lot darker than the pic of the Mink.

Edited by 57xx