Barton Ings Tile Works...

DriffCharlie

After the success with the lighting rig I thought I would experiment with the next stage and paint a background, just a quick hash-up in various blue/greys atm....... the jury is still out on it but to be fair I should make a more detailed backdrop before I cast judgement, these pics compared with the earlier ones in this thread show the difference.....

001-19.jpg

003-14.jpg

004-16.jpg

005-14.jpg

007-8.jpg

I think a backdrop is probably the way to go, especially for exhibitions???

Enjoy,

Charlie

• RMweb Gold

Hi Charlie,

I would agree, a backdrop is a good idea for exhibitions. It keeps what ever is behind the layout hidden and enables the viewer to focus more on the layout. It also provides a bit of a frame to enclose the layout.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing this at York at Easter.

As mentioned on the Gnatterbox, a backscene concentrates the attention of the viewer and any photos taken look so much better which can only be a good thing for any layout if it shows your modelling and not the stand behind. A thought - take the backscene even higher so that the chimney is viewed against a sky instead of poking up above an unnatural line. Even if you operate from behind, this layout is small enough to operate from one side. Unless you hate talking to punters and backpackers and smelly old men!!!!! laugh.gif

Thanks for the input, this is an area I have never dealt with before and I'm out of my depth at the moment. . . I think I'm going to try a Photo backscene next, Ian the problem is the chimney is so damn high and already I'm struggling to see over the backscene. Perhaps I could try operating from the side at the next exhibition??

Food for thought

Charlie

• 1 month later...

As the BIG show at York ( 3 Days !!!!) approaches this weekend, I have built a couple more items,

Firstly, I present my rendition of "Winky"....this is a petrol driven Brookville Loco which worked a peatworks in Canada.....

001-20.jpg

002-16.jpg

003-15.jpg

Still needs a bit more work...and of course a Driver!!!, its the first real attempt at weathering with an airbrush .... still a bit to learn.

Secondly heres one of "Pepper7"'s wagons which has obviously seen better days....

004-17.jpg

005-15.jpg

And a VERY neglected roof, another 1st this was done with tissue and superglue!!!!

006-14.jpg

007-9.jpg

anyone comming along to YORK SHOW this easter weekend, be sure to pop by and say hello..... you may get "comandeered" into releif cover as im on my own most of the days...

Enjoy,

Charlie

• RMweb Gold

Hi Charlie,

Good to meet you and see Barton today. Certainly does not disappoint. Was also good to see 'three' trains running at the same time on such a small layout and three more than some of the other larger layouts (with 3 or more operators on some as well).

Well done and given me some ideas! But, will not do anything for a while as have other things to do first!

All the best

Richard (aka Mudmagnet)

• 2 weeks later...

James. glad you liked the layout!!!, yes it would have been good to be next to Barrowfleet, both layouts were close to each other at the Apedale Gala and quite a few people immediately made the "connection" ....

Anyways...well after almost a year including TEN exhibitions, I now have a few months break from shows. I have decided on a couple of changes both to increase interest to the public and my own operator interest.

The main criteria are... I MUST have the (hopefully working) skip incline to a pugmill, it is still probably the most distinguishing feature on the real site!!!. also to complete the picture I want to represent at least one drying shed too.

So this weekend out with the plywood/timber/screws/glue etc... and with one more leg made and another baseboard the layout is now 2' longer....

001-21.jpg

then bolted together I cut the track to insert a set of small radius points......

002-17.jpg

the track at the bottom of this picture then leads to...

... a two road traverser ( this should ease operating a lot based on experience of removing/replacing stock when surrounded by onlookers!!!)

003-16.jpg

exiting the shed are two short storage tracks ( or possibly another future extension????)

004-18.jpg

This is all then hidden (hopefully??) in a model of one of the actual drying sheds....

005-16.jpg

Then for the incline, fistly a set of points will have to be cut into the original trackwork... here...

006-15.jpg

These will then feed the incline track which will pass over the original loop through an arch...( the pugmill is represented by the cardboard boxes for now!!!)

007-10.jpg

another view...

008-10.jpg

hopefully this will give a more accurate representation of the real site and also provide more operating variety and storage ability on the layout....

This does seem to give a more busy/cluttered look to the whole site

009-8.jpg

Enjoy,

Charlie

Today I finally finished the small radius point and got all the track to the traverser wired up and running. I really missed being able to run a train roundandround whilst modelling in the garage !!!!.

Hers the pic of the newly installed small radius point, and the track linking up to the traverser deck ( complete with "quirky" dogleg ???)

001-23.jpg

The traverser table is now fully wired and working ...

002-19.jpg

a picture through the drying shed, showing I have yet again started to carve bricks...

003-18.jpg

and even done some bricks on the inline...

004-19.jpg

AND... theres a even a video of the traverser in action ...

Enjoy,

Charlie

Well the world hasnt ended in sunny Scunny so heres another update !!!!

The postman brought me gifts this morning.....

001-24.jpg

I went for this in the end over the Bedford, but I will have to convert it to RHD now....

after a couple of hours and quite a bit of "mek-pak" later, I had enough of the truck done to get an idea of the full layout of the extension now

002-20.jpg

003-19.jpg

also you'll note the final run of track has been laid now...

Enjoy,

Charlie

Well the world hasnt ended in sunny Scunny so heres another update !!!!

The postman brought me gifts this morning.....

001-24.jpg

I went for this in the end over the Bedford, but I will have to convert it to RHD now....

after a couple of hours and quite a bit of "mek-pak" later, I had enough of the truck done to get an idea of the full layout of the extension now

002-20.jpg

003-19.jpg

also you'll note the final run of track has been laid now...

Enjoy,

Charlie

Archived