CV settings for Dapol Imperium v 1. decoders

A recent search through this Forum concerning a number of issues with the Dapol Imperium decoders has provided the opportunity in this topic to provide some information and hopefully I will be able to locate the Information for myself. The background is that I had recently purchased a Dapol class 26 with decoder already fitted  thinking this would be an easy option. The outcome is not always that simple , however on running the model in, the control of the locomotive was somewhat indifferent and the the function characteristics  of the Head and tail lamps did not conform the convention . Firstly I use NCE products and so I had a little understanding of using DCC the decoder was not faulty but how it had been set up. With a couple of evening messing around with the CV settings and numerous re-sets using a  value on CV 8 as 4 , the issue didn't seem to make any difference . Using Decoder Pro ;one of the JMRI software suites I soon found out that all the CV settings had no resemblance to any thing on the Dapol website of their pre-release documentation for the decoder.  Changing  Cv 15 Decoder lock to 0 and CV Decoder lock CV 16 to I , I eventually managed to obtain all the Default values as shown on their documentation . However I still was unable to get the Head lights and tail Lights to function correctly . With the help of a well known Model Shop , I was able to obtain a temporary fix which seems to work properly .  As I used JMRI to set up the decoder I am not sure if the order to change the CVs matter  but the values I used are given following.

1. CV33 set at 5 

2 CV 34 set at 6 

3.CV 36 set at 9

4, CV 35  set at 10 

5. CV 51 Set at 24

6. CV 52 at 0.

I now have a Dapol Class 26 with head and tail lights illuminated on the correct direction and using NCE Powercab the headlight Button one or off on the activation. After changing the CVs and testing on CV1 as 03 ,  finally moving the correct address 5310 , the decoder functions properly .

i

Edited by 4firstimes
Spelling mistake

18 hours ago, 4firstimes said:

the function characteristics  of the Head and tail lamps did not conform the convention

Do you mean that pressing F0 didn't turn on the lights at front and rear?

I believe that the CL26 uses a Next18 decoder and as with all Dapol models with Next18 decoders you have the ability to control the lights at each end of the loco independently.

F0 isn't meant to control all the lights.

This allows you to follow prototype practice and leave the taillights off when hauling a train, or the headlights off when propelling a train.

Generally with a Next18 decoder in a Dapol diesel or electric, F0 controls the directional front lights, F1 the rear tail lights, and F2 the rear headlights. I usually remap the functions so that F0 controls the directional front lights and F1 controls the directional tail lights.

Regards,

John P