The Captain's Travels

• RMweb Gold

I suspect there might be a river between it and the place whose name it bears.

Not too hot on the rivers in the vicinity of this particular one, Mike, but I don't think there is one that close to either the tunnel or the local settlement that bears the name of the tunnel... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Is it Wickwar per chance??

Edited to say, certainly Wickwar ;)

That's a long way from your stamping ground, old son, but your're absolutely right!

I cab rode for work purposes from Bristol to Gloucester (forthcoming engineering works), so here's a rather groovy HST image at Yate South.... ;)

post-57-12566633014072_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Is it Wickwar per chance??

Edited to say, certainly Wickwar ;)

That's a long way from your stamping ground, old son, but your're absolutely right!

I cab rode for work purposes from Bristol to Gloucester (forthcoming engineering works), so here's a rather groovy HST image at Yate South.... ;)

post-57-12566633014072_thumb.jpg

And here's an even groovier Voyager that we passed north of Charfield.... :blink:

post-57-12566634088194_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I can see Im gona have to dust off me cab pass and do some of this malarky :rolleyes: :D

Joking aside, used to work the track in this area Tim, out of Parkway PW as far as Charfield North up until about 2000.

Voyagers were a distant Branson dream and 47'8s and Valenta's still abounded the place. Happy days! Good to find out my memory is still not to bad though!

Birmingham-Bristol line speed upgrades perchance?

I travelled that way this week too, with my son on the way to and from my parents in Wiltshire. He commented on how rocky the cutting was after Wickwar, and we looked out at the sharp curve at Westerleigh so I'm kicking myself for not getting that one!

• RMweb Premium

Thats a fine looking piece of S&C now. I used to enjoy standing there watching HST's thunder over it at 125mph!

It was all wood timbering back then though and demanded constant maintenance. The switch diamond was a particular headache before it was renewed.

I wonder if anyone has ever made a model switch diamond??

• RMweb Gold

Thats a fine looking piece of S&C now. I used to enjoy standing there watching HST's thunder over it at 125mph!

It was all wood timbering back then though and demanded constant maintenance. The switch diamond was a particular headache before it was renewed.

Wrenn used to do one in their 'universal' track range back in the dark ages :icon_tongue:

Wrenn used to do one in their 'universal' track range back in the dark ages :icon_tongue:

I remember buying a load of that stuff from Frost's stall in the old Llanelli Market. It didn't react well to life in a damp Welsh shed, with the rail rusting and the fibre sleepers twisting all over the shop.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

One of the guys in our DRAG club has made a P4 one for his layout, if that's what you mean, Gary?

Westerleigh Junction is indeed the correct answer, and was renewed over Christmas 2004.

The embankment round to the left - towards Yate and Cheltenham etc. - was also recently rebuilt, allowing a much higher linespeed, 55 mph for passenger trains now, IIRC (it was previously a 20 mph temporary speed restriction, I believe)...

• RMweb Gold

Birmingham-Bristol line speed upgrades perchance?

AFAIK, the line speed upgrades project has arisen post-the relaying of Westerleigh in 2004, but it clearly all hangs together now...

how rocky the cutting was after Wickwar

Has anyone noticed the replica signalbox on the downside cutting side, just north of Wickwar Tunnel, btw?

• RMweb Gold

AFAIK, the line speed upgrades project has arisen post-the relaying of Westerleigh in 2004, but it clearly all hangs together now...

Has anyone noticed the replica signalbox on the downside cutting side, just north of Wickwar Tunnel, btw?

Cor, are Replica doing a signalbox an' all now :blink: ? S'pose it's another Midland one?

• RMweb Gold

Well, AFAIK it's based on something Midland-ish - IIRC it's painted maroon and cream. Photography is difficult except from the cab, and even then it's set back a bit and in a gloomy cutting, so not easy to get a nice, sharp photo...

Archived