DDC Sound control

model-trains

Hi guys

I am setting up speed measures for my locos, starting with my P6 Patriot, Royal Signals.

I am using Digikjeis DR5000 Controller and iTrain software.

First stage was set the speed steps CV2 & Cv5 which is now done.  Whilst I did this I ran the loco with sound Off, now it is time to get the sound right.  

I understand the sound addresses are 2, 3, 4 or 5 for CV3 Acceleration and & CV4 deceleration, but I am not sure of the chuffs set up. I seem to recall that the sound, chuffs, is related to the number of chuffs for a full drive wheel revolution, but not fully sure.

Can anyone guide me on this please?

Paul

CVs 2, 3, 4 and 5 are not sound addresses and apply to all decoders.

CV2 = starting voltage

CV3 = acceleration rate

CV4 = deceleration rate

CV5 = voltage at maximum speed

See the NMRA standard for details relating to the standard CVs at https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/sandrp/pdf/s-9.2.2_decoder_cvs_2012.07.pdf

For sound, the relevant CVs are not specified by the NMRA and each decoder manufacturer has their own standard, so you'll need to refer to the relevant decoder manufacturers manual to get all the details of what controls what.

I think for a steam train the number of 'chuffs' per wheel revolution will be dependent on whether you have a two, three or four cylinder engine, but yes, I would expect a 'chuff' after every complete wheel revolution.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

I think for a steam train the number of 'chuffs' per wheel revolution will be dependent on whether you have a two, three or four cylinder engine, but yes, I would expect a 'chuff' after every complete wheel revolution.

In the back of my mind there is something about steam locos and number of chuffs per wheel turn, I also recall now you say that cylinder numbers also has something to do with it.

Paul

A LMS Patriot is a 3-cylinder engine, so six chuffs per wheel revolution.   One would hope the sound project provider gave some instructions on setup ?

How you set chuff frequency varies between decoder makers, different CVs are used and different processes adjusting the values.  So, consult the decoder manufacturer's manual for details.  With enough patience it is possible to make them match wheel movement. 

• Thanks 1