RMweb

Glue Query

Super glue gets my vote as well. If applying to the end grain of wood, I find adhesives tend to get drawn in (usually while you think it's drying nicely!) Best to seal the grain with some glue first, let that dry and then add your "sticking" layer over that.  Also, wouldn't hurt to roughen the area of plastic you are gluing to, with a bit of glass paper or similar (then wipe over the plastic with white sprit to remove particles.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riccarton Junction said:

Very quick question on glue. So far I have been using:

• Wood on Wood - Gorilla
  • Plastic on Plastic - Humbrol Liquid Poly

What is best for Wood on Plastic i.e. I am about to glue a wooden chimney stack to a plastic signal box roof - what works best in these cases? 

Cheers,

Paul.

If you are worried about the item falling off consider a peg or dowel joint. A 1mm hole in each face with a short length of brass wire or beheaded panel pin will do the trick supporting most types of glue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wasdavetheroad said:

I have been using Wilko hard plastic tube glue to stick polystyrene to card and balsa, seems to work like a charm

UHU make a similar product for gluing polystyrene, with the same non-melty properties.  It's also good for fixing plastic structures down in a firm but non-permanent way and can be easily removed from said surfaces.

Edited by Ray Von
Typo