Rails of Sheffield and Hornby

m1a2lt

I recently was looking to do a preorder for the Hornby DVT and was informed by Rails that they will not be doing future business with Hornby. See post: https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/3528-important-statement . Sad to see this since Rails has always been one of my favorite shops with pretty good pricing and great customer service. I remember reading somewhere that Hornby was trying to change their business model to direct sales through their website as opposed to second vendors. I didn’t further enquire to Rails about why they broke off with Hornby as it isn’t my business but curious if anyone has heard and is this something that we will see from other dealers in the future?

Edited by m1a2lt

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

If you go to the 'Rails of Sheffield' section in the forum you'll find various other comments from around the time it happened.  It's not a unique situation for a trader and manufacturer to part company (for example see Hattons and Bachmann).

Regards,

Alex.

This has all the makings of a thread that will end up locked!

The people I feel sorry for in all this are those who have been unable to find another source for the products they ordered via Rails. For my part, I've found the episode unedifying and have simply not felt inclined to re-order from elsewhere.  I can live without them and have re-invested the funds in kits and an OO Works LSWR saddle tank. That's just how it's left me feeling.

In the long term, I doubt this sort of thing will matter much to the retailers affected. Hattons seems to be surviving without Bachmann and I don't doubt Rails will without Hornby.  It is more, rather than less, likely to drive retailers to source new product through commissions and direct relations with factories, so I don't think it's an approach that will ultimately favour a manufacturer who chooses to pull the plug. It might, however, have other benefits for the retailer; one admittedly anecdotal comment I heard from a retailer was that the lack of manufacturer QC and the high rate of returns had effectively turned them into red box's customer service department, so, I suppose that's considerable time and cost that a retailer could well do without.  

However, I conclude this is, or will soon be, a 'move along, nothing to see here' incident.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Without a doubt the rise of direct commissioning as a viable means of making and selling models has put the traditional manufacturers on their mettle. There has apparently been some taking home of bats. But our market is the same as any other - make a killer product and it will sell. The red and the blue box people need only get quality and price right and they will remain profitable. 

• Agree 3